Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Baby and toddler car seats

10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ilikeascent 
#1 ·
I was looking into more details about the Ascent 2nd row (bench v. captains chairs) for the purposes of baby car seats, and found the following helpful site/article. I'm sure there are many others on this forum who will use car seats as well, so hope this article will be helpful to you as well.

One question that I haven't been able to find an answer to: does the Ascent have the mirror where the sunglasses holder is usually? This is the mirror that allows the driver to view the back seats that I know is on the Pilot (see picture below).

You are being redirected...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I posted pictures in the picture section with a rear facing car seat. We ordered the captain’s chairs and with our ClickConnect car seat the third row is accessible with the seat out but the base in. With a front facing car seat the third row is also accessible with the second row seat slid back.

#5 ·
Thank you for posting this! The link was super helpful and further supports our reasoning for getting the 8 passenger versus the captain's chairs. We only have one child right now, but with another child in the future, the seat in the middle will be needed for when a parent needs to sit between both children.

#6 ·
In the Car Seat Lady article, she states that the 3rd row is not accessible with 2 car seats installed in the 2nd row.

Having just seen the Ascent in person, I do not agree that's always true, at least not for my use. The second row seats (in both bench and captain's chairs configurations - I checked both) slide forward enough that it's possible for a small-medium adult to get into the back seat without having to fold the 2nd row seats down. (I'm only talking about forward facing car seats here, NOT rear facing!) Certainly more than adequate for kids to access the 3rd row, which would be my primary use. I didn't check with car seats installed, so take that observation for what it's worth, but that was my primary concern about the Ascent, and now I feel it's fine. I will always have 2 combination or convertible seats installed (in 2D and 2P) and once in a while, I will have extra passengers in the third row. I have narrow seats (Britax Frontier and Clek Fllo) so it's possible they could be 2D and 2C so that 2P could fold down to allow for greater access, but I won't put my kids next to each other unless I absolutely have to!

Another (probably obvious) thing but one that I wanted to check in person was - the 3rd row headrests do come out so they don't interfere with car seat installation.

Hope that helps others in a similar situation.

#8 ·
How do you attach the car seat in the center of the 2nd row bench seat? It only has one lower attachment place in the center seat area, doesn’t it? So how would that work?
I am a grandparent and have been spared from knowing about this stuff(latches,tethers) for a long time....until enlisted recently for some baby sitting duty....

#7 ·
Are 2 car seats together possible in the second row of bench seat

Possibly a dumb question but here goes.......to put two car seats in the second row can one be attached using the lower attachments on the left or right seat and the tether attachment and a seatbelt on the center car seat, allowing 2 car seats to be put together? This would be for forward facing car seats for a 3 and 5 year old.....
It is strange that there is only 1 bottom attachment in the center seat.....What could that be for ? I am a grandparent trying to accommodate my grandchildren while getting some seating capacity for their parents or for all six grandchildren (4 are older) at once....
If my initial question is possible, what would be 2 good , skinny/narrow , inexpensive car seats?
Be gentle, thanks:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.