Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With such a new vehicle, although most would not have to replace their brake pads anytime soon, sometimes brake pad information is very lacking on parts websites. I will, to the best of my abilities, do the research regarding brake pad part numbers, FMSI pad part numbers, and friction ratings.

So far, Subaru's listed part numbers for the brake pads are as follows, along with MSRP of each axle set of brake pads.

Front brake pads
26296XC00A
MSRP
$234.95

Rear brake pads
26696XC00A
MSRP
$224.50

I am still searching for the FMSI pad part numbers, but it may take some time before that information becomes revealed to the world wide web.

Based on the extremely high MSRP of the brake pads, there is a possibility that the stock brake pads feature the same kind of fade-resistance one would expect on the Subaru WRX and WRX STI models. This is only my own speculation and has no actual factual basis.

I do know that the brake pads have a friction rating of FF, meaning, at both 0 degrees Fahrenheit, and 600 degrees Fahrenheit, the brake pads are rated to have a coefficient of friction between 0.35 and 0.45. This is on-par with the majority of stock brake pads used on modern Subaru vehicles. Some prior models (such as my old 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback) used heavier-duty compounds with a GG friction rating, indicating a coefficient of friction between 0.45 to 0.55 at those two previously-mentioned temperatures.

And for the weirdos like me, I will even list the options for high-performance/heavy-duty brake pad compounds and pad part numbers when I discover them. Though this is unlikely to prove to be useful information for the laymen user, it is mostly to serve my strange desire to search for harsh-use options.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had really good results with Powerstop brakes on my 2008 Forester Sport. If I ever have to replace rotors or pads (and PowerStop makes them for the Ascent), I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had really good results with Powerstop brakes on my 2008 Forester Sport. If I ever have to replace rotors or pads (and PowerStop makes them for the Ascent), I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.
Not to burst your bubble, but those are brake pads I do not respect in terms of severe-duty use.

I can only recommend it to those with a casual, easygoing sense of spirited driving. I would NOT recommend the use of PowerStop products for severe/spirited use.

Any brake pad manufacturer unwilling to provide a maximum operating temperature rating are not expected to be a respectable manufacturer of brake pads for the most severe conditions. Though they may be respectable in the sense that they make an OE-grade aftermarket alternative, such brake pads I treat with an air of caution.

For perspective, I have confirmed by Akebono, one of the largest manufacturers of OEM brake pads, that the typical consumer-rated (ordinary driver) brake pad compounds are rated to around 300 degrees Celsius, or 572 degrees Fahrenheit. This is within acceptable for users of the laymen/casual driving. However, any moderate or severe spirited driving, such lowly consumer brake pads are unsafe and can pose a serious risk to the safety of others.

Although I am well aware most forum users, especially on a form of a vehicle of this nature, will almost certainly never need severe/spirited duty brake pads, I wish to at least provide that information (eventually) for the extremely rare few that do exist.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Condescend much?
Take it as you will. Although the mentioned-brand is a brand most will deem suitable, I am speaking from my current experience and knowledge-base.

For further clarification, most of the aftermarket brake pads will suffice for most users. This is not something I dispute or deny. But I wish to expand and share information on the more outlandish options available. Whether you see this as condescending or grossly-overkill, is entirely up to the reader.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but those are brake pads I do not respect in terms of severe-duty use.

I can only recommend it to those with a casual, easygoing sense of spirited driving. I would NOT recommend the use of PowerStop products for severe/spirited use.

Any brake pad manufacturer unwilling to provide a maximum operating temperature rating are not expected to be a respectable manufacturer of brake pads for the most severe conditions. Though they may be respectable in the sense that they make an OE-grade aftermarket alternative, such brake pads I treat with an air of caution.

For perspective, I have confirmed by Akebono, one of the largest manufacturers of OEM brake pads, that the typical consumer-rated (ordinary driver) brake pad compounds are rated to around 300 degrees Celsius, or 572 degrees Fahrenheit. This is within acceptable for users of the laymen/casual driving. However, any moderate or severe spirited driving, such lowly consumer brake pads are unsafe and can pose a serious risk to the safety of others
Although I am well aware most forum users, especially on a form of a vehicle of this nature, will almost certainly never need severe/spirited duty brake pads, I wish to at least provide that information (eventually) for the extremely rare few that do exist.
That’s it ? :nerd:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Outlandish? By what definition do you mean? All real performance brakes are outlandish. I have personally used several brands on my cars. Power stop brakes are by far the most reliable and long lasting. For example, for a car the size and weight of the Ascent, EBC brakes will wear in less than 10k miles (pads) and their rotors are nothing special. Just made to look flashier with different coatings, which by the way wear off as soon as you break them in, all the while sounding like you’re killing a family of cats. Powerstop has always lasted the longest without any issues for me. Been I used to be good, but now their quality has seriously declined. By the way, if and when Powerstop does start producing for the Ascent, I hope they make the Z36 truck and towing package available. You want severe and serious brake pads, then check out the Z36 truck and towing package brakes. They are almost double the size of other performance pads at the same price practically. As long as the rotor is a quality performance rotor, they all last about the same. The only difference in rotors in my opinion is that they must be slotted. The slot provide much greater stopping power. Cross drilled doesn’t and only aids in cooling down somewhat. I’ve used all 3 versions, slotted only, cross drilled only and both slotted and cross drilled. I prefer both because I just want that extra bit of help to prevent thermal breakdown in the pads and rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts