Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ascent 19/Forester 17
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When AVH is ON and the vehicle stops at a steeper slope, it would roll forward/backward a bit (maybe a few inches) when the brake pedal is released. Is this normal? I thought it should grip it tight?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Even though AVH is "on," are you sure it's engaged as indicated by the "engaged" icon on the dash? Just as a reminder, the brake pedal needs to be depressed for a few seconds before AVH engages and the engaged icon (separate from the AVH-is-on icon) illuminates on the dash. My Ascent does not move at all, even on a steeper slope, if AVH is engaged.

·
Registered
Ascent 19/Forester 17
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the icon is on before I release the pedal.
Sometimes on a steeper slope at a complete stop with AVH icon ON, jumping/shaking the car inside would also make the vehicle move a bit and then AVH would try to grip tighter again to stop the rolling.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Our Ascent is also locked pretty solid with AVH. We cannot get it to move by moving around or shaking the vehicle, even on a steep slope. What if you use the parking brake (in neutral) on the same slope? Does it feel like it still just barely engages, or does that seem to hold it solid?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Yes, the icon is on before I release the pedal.
Sometimes on a steeper slope at a complete stop with AVH icon ON, jumping/shaking the car inside would also make the vehicle move a bit and then AVH would try to grip tighter again to stop the rolling.
Not trying to be repetitive or dense, but to clarify, the movement you are describing occurs when both AVH icons are lit?

·
Registered
89 Posts
When AVH is ON and the vehicle stops at a steeper slope, it would roll forward/backward a bit (maybe a few inches) when the brake pedal is released. Is this normal? I thought it should grip it tight?
Mine does the same thing, occasionally. Will move a few inches but then it holds tight. I figure it was because I wasn’t holding down pedal very hard when AVH engaged. The issue never bothered me much to test (i.e. hold down pedal real hard while AVH engages to see if that solves the problem). Since it’s sporadic, I’d have to do it religiously for a while to see if that goes it, and I never remember :) Long story short, I consider this normal/not an issue.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
The force with which you push the brake pedal to engage AVH should not determine how quickly AVH holds the car. AVH uses the electronic parking brake mechanism, so it's really either "on or off", and should engage more or less immediately when the icon is lit.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I find the AVH holds quicker compared to manually applying the electronic parking brake.I’ve tested this on roads that had a incline or decline .

·
Super Moderator
2,457 Posts
The force with which you push the brake pedal to engage AVH should not determine how quickly AVH holds the car. AVH uses the electronic parking brake mechanism, so it's really either "on or off", and should engage more or less immediately when the icon is lit.
I’m not convinced it uses the electronic parking brake. Im able to hear the parking brake engage or disengage. Not so with AVH
I don’t have any in-depth knowledge how AVH works but purely from a mechanical standpoint it feels more like a valve or something is controlled to lock in pressure and release on demand.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I’m not convinced it uses the electronic parking brake. Im able to hear the parking brake engage or disengage. Not so with AVH.
I think you may be right on this.

It seems like Subarus have had several similar systems in the past that did use the electronic parking brake. This video describes AVH as using the "stability and traction control systems" to hold the vehicle. I suppose by "stability system", he's referring to the car's ability to engage the service brakes without you having to depress the brake pedal?

The video isn't super clear to me, but I yield to your point that AVH may not be using the parking brake.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
One other note -- the video mentions the "two second rule" numerous times, but our 2020 doesn't require that. After stopped, any additional forward movement of the brake pedal will invoke AVH. It also will not engage on its own after two seconds if I DON'T give it more forward movement. If I just hold the brake pedal where it was when I stopped, even with the AVH system on, it will not engage AVH and will start to roll forward when I release the service brakes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Maybe the wrong place to ask, but what do you find to be the utility of this feature? I tried it, and thought it was novel, but didn't identify a use for it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
I use AVH at long red lights. I haven't tried the 2 second rule, but I found that when I hold the pedal lightly, AVH doesn't hold the brakes. When I press it more firmly, AVH does activate and hold the brakes. I've notice the "brake" icon comes on right after a hard stop, and doesn't come on after a light stop.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Maybe the wrong place to ask, but what do you find to be the utility of this feature? I tried it, and thought it was novel, but didn't identify a use for it.
My wife and I use it all the time. It's purely a convenience feature for us. We keep the system "on" all the time, and engage it whenever we stop and leave the car in drive for more than a few seconds (traffic signals, drive-through lanes, etc.). If the car will essentially hold the brake pedal for me, I don't see a reason to do it myself. :)

I find it no different from cruise control or many other convenience features in terms of its utility. It's not necessarily, but it makes driving the car a little easier.

·
Registered
Ascent 19/Forester 17
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine does the same thing, occasionally. Will move a few inches but then it holds tight. I figure it was because I wasn’t holding down pedal very hard when AVH engaged. The issue never bothered me much to test (i.e. hold down pedal real hard while AVH engages to see if that solves the problem). Since it’s sporadic, I’d have to do it religiously for a while to see if that goes it, and I never remember :) Long story short, I consider this normal/not an issue.
Yes it is sporadic. Sometimes steeper slope it would hold tight but sometimes it would move a few inches (or some brake creaking noise) on slight slope. It is not really bothering me but just curious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.