Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’ve been driving my Subaru Ascent for over two months now and I found it so hard on gas. I checked Subaru site and average fuel consumption for combine city and highway is about 22mpg which is about 10.7 L/100KM. I’m in Canada and having a colder weather can affect fuel consumption but my average consumption shows 20.5L/100KM. Is that normal? What’s your average fuel consumption?

Thanks…

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
486 Posts
Just want to make sure I'm mathing your numbers correctly. So 20.5L/100KM is about 11 or 12mpg? That would definitely be on the low side, but given winter up in Canada, and if you drive a bunch of in city/stop and go kind of driving, that might be not too far from normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just want to make sure I'm mathing your numbers correctly. So 20.5L/100KM is about 11 or 12mpg? That would definitely be on the low side, but given winter up in Canada, and if you drive a bunch of in city/stop and go kind of driving, that might be not too far from normal.
Yes I think your calculation is right. If I understand it correctly, higher mpg rating means better or more efficient the car is. Having 11 or 12 mpg is not even close to 22 mpg as per what is advertised.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
248 Posts
Yes I think your calculation is right. If I understand it correctly, higher mpg rating means better or more efficient the car is. Having 11 or 12 mpg is not even close to 22 mpg as per what is advertised.
That is low....do you use the remote start to warm the car on cold mornings? When the car is sitting and running, it is getting zero MPG (and the metric equivalent), and that brings down the average. Winter blend fuel has fewer BTUs per liter/gallon and MPG suffers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is low....do you use the remote start to warm the car on cold mornings? When the car is sitting and running, it is getting zero MPG (and the metric equivalent), and that brings down the average. Winter blend fuel has fewer BTUs per liter/gallon and MPG suffers.
Yes I usually start the car and leave it running for about 5 mins or so before driving. Even with my full tank, it only gives me about 290 fuel range. I drove a similar service vehicle last time and with less than half of gas on it, it still give about 270 fuel range.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes I usually start the car and leave it running for about 5 mins or so before driving. Even with my full tank, it only gives me about 290 fuel range. I drove a similar service vehicle last time and with less than half of gas on it, it still give about 270 fuel range.
The 290 range is based on the present MPG reading, assuming you will be driving/idling/warming up the same as you are now. I bet if you started on a highway trip at average speeds the range will actually go up as the MPGs increase.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,549 Posts
Yes I usually start the car and leave it running for about 5 mins or so before driving.
A five minute warm-up at essentially zero miles per gallon will always result in a noticeable hit to fuel economy. When you combine that with winter temps and winter blend fuel as well as things like short trips...down it goes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You could reset your trip meter after the warm up, just as you're about to drive. That way you'd be able to get a fairly accurate idea of what your mileage is at least for an individual trip without the warm up time factored in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the Forum; it's a huge repository of valuable information and experiences from people who've owned their Ascent several years. I was very happy to find it back when I first purchased my Ascent in July 2021. I recommend you dive in using the search feature.

Being a fellow Canadian, I too think in L/100km. My Ascent is currently averaging around 12 L/100km combined city/highway driving in winter. During the summer it seemed to average around 11 L/100km.

Direct injection turbo engines, like the one in the Ascent, will dump a lot of fuel into the combustion chamber in cold weather and run high revs to achieve operating temperature faster; parts of the emissions equipment are passive and need to be hot to operate as spec'd. To this end, extended idling in winter will have a noticeable and detrimental impact on fuel consumption as will under-inflated tires, traffic jams, and the remote start feature (in fact, I have an unscientific belief the car uses extra gas with remote start feature to make the car heater activate faster). Short trips, heavy acceleration, speeding on the highway, and passing cars (sudden burst of acceleration) also uses extra fuel. Resetting the trip computer often will provide false info - a long sampling period is needed for real numbers if it's important to you, at least a full tank, if not several.

In summary, you as the driver are the biggest influence on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the Forum; it's a huge repository of valuable information and experiences from people who've owned their Ascent several years. I was very happy to find it back when I first purchased my Ascent in July 2021. I recommend you dive in using the search feature.

Being a fellow Canadian, I too think in L/100km. My Ascent is currently averaging around 12 L/100km combined city/highway driving in winter. During the summer it seemed to average around 11 L/100km.

Direct injection turbo engines, like the one in the Ascent, will dump a lot of fuel into the combustion chamber in cold weather and run high revs to achieve operating temperature faster; parts of the emissions equipment are passive and need to be hot to operate as spec'd. To this end, extended idling in winter will have a noticeable and detrimental impact on fuel consumption as will under-inflated tires, traffic jams, and the remote start feature (in fact, I have an unscientific belief the car uses extra gas with remote start feature to make the car heater activate faster). Short trips, heavy acceleration, speeding on the highway, and passing cars (sudden burst of acceleration) also uses extra fuel. Resetting the trip computer often will provide false info - a long sampling period is needed for real numbers if it's important to you, at least a full tank, if not several.

In summary, you as the driver are the biggest influence on fuel consumption.
I agree that longer samples are more accurate. I just suggested the reset as a way to take the warm up times out of the equation. Otherwise, no matter how long the sample, the warm up times will always be factored in as well. At least until warmer weather. Or the driver can always experiment and do a full tank of gas without their usual warm up before each drive, but in Canada in the winter? No thanks! :)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
47 Posts
Hello!!!
I’m in Toronto and this is my fourth winter driving my 2019 ascent. On my current and last tank I averaged 12.7L/100km. Depending on weather it changes a bit either way, getting a little worse heavy snow days.
On summer I usually average 12 l/100km.
car is always parked outside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Winnipeg so I probably live in one of the coldest major city in Canada. My gas mileage is bad during winter (especially in the past month when we are getting -35°C to -40°C and the Ascent is parked outside). I have been getting somewhere around 20 to 26L/100km in the past month, depending on how long I leave the car on to warm up the engine. I am doing a lot of city driving and short trips which also add to the cause of bad fuel economy because the engine is shut before it gets warm. However if you are taking longer trips, the gas mileage will go down significantly. I drove it for about an hour straight today and my fuel economy goes from about 20L/100km to about 13L/100km. It all depends on how your car is being used.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I live in Winnipeg so I probably live in one of the coldest major city in Canada. My gas mileage is bad during winter (especially in the past month when we are getting -35°C to -40°C and the Ascent is parked outside). I have been getting somewhere around 20 to 26L/100km in the past month, depending on how long I leave the car on to warm up the engine. I am doing a lot of city driving and short trips which also add to the cause of bad fuel economy because the engine is shut before it gets warm. However if you are taking longer trips, the gas mileage will go down significantly. I drove it for about an hour straight today and my fuel economy goes from about 20L/100km to about 13L/100km. It all depends on how your car is being used.
Brrrrrrrrrrr -40C? My hat's off to you Great White Northerners! It hit -18F here (Tulsa, OK) last winter for a few days and ppl thought the end of the world had arrived. A plumber's heyday, many frozen/burst pipes, buckled pavement, etc.

I neglected to pretreat the fuel in my Ram/Cummins truck and it took an hour to get it started. How is the Ascent in those temps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrrr -40C? My hat's off to you Great White Northerners! It hit -18F here (Tulsa, OK) last winter for a few days and ppl thought the end of the world had arrived. A plumber's heyday, many frozen/burst pipes, buckled pavement, etc.

I neglected to pretreat the fuel in my Ram/Cummins truck and it took an hour to get it started. How is the Ascent in those temps?
Our gas here have a specific blend for winter so the fuel is not causing problem at startup. As long as we have the block heater plugged in, the car will start. Of course the battery has to be in good condition as well. Fun thing to share, all new cars sold here already have a block heater installed by the dealership. It is no longer an option but a standard feature.

Reactions: TheRaven

·
Registered
486 Posts
Our gas here have a specific blend for winter so the fuel is not causing problem at startup. As long as we have the block heater plugged in, the car will start. Of course the battery has to be in good condition as well. Fun thing to share, all new cars sold here already have a block heater installed by the dealership. It is no longer an option but a standard feature.
When I used to live in Alaska, those block heaters made a heck of a difference. When I'd forget to plug the car in overnight... UGH!

(coldest winter there it hit -40F, and that was without the windchill factored in)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the Greater Toronto Area as well and my Ascent averaged about 12L/100km since August. As other people pointed out, fuel consumption really depends on the use case. Around town it takes about 18-20L/100km. But Ascent is a great car for road trips. We went on a day trip to Blue Mountains last fall, about 410-420km round trip with 80% of driving on rural roads at 90-100km/hr. I filled up full tank before the trip and I had exactly half tank left when we got home, so about 9L/100km when cruising without going too fast.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I live in the Greater Toronto Area as well and my Ascent averaged about 12L/100km since August. As other people pointed out, fuel consumption really depends on the use case. Around town it takes about 18-20L/100km. But Ascent is a great car for road trips. We went on a day trip to Blue Mountains last fall, about 410-420km round trip with 80% of driving on rural roads at 90-100km/hr. I filled up full tank before the trip and I had exactly half tank left when we got home, so about 9L/100km when cruising without going too fast.
The size & weight of the right shoe matters significantly ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts