Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Yosemite in a week and apparently tire-chains are recommended. I don't have much experience driving in now before.

My 2019 Ascent has all-season Falkens and still reasonable tread depth. I am considering getting Autosock, instead of chains based on suggestions here. Reviews on Amazon seem to be a bit mixed however.

Does anyone have any experience of actually using the Autosock on Ascent? With Subaru and AWD, I understand I may not need them. But I'd want to buy something that, if actually needed on a rare occasion, won't leave me in dire straits.

I'd really appreciate advice from more experienced folks.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I believe there's an existing thread that mentions this product in the Wheels/Tires section of the forum if my memory serves accurately...a quick search on that name shows it comes up in the various tire chain threads in that discussion area.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
chains are NOT recommended for AWD Subarus and could cause serious damage. Autosock is an option as is a much more reliable but more expensive snow navigation option of actual snow tires (I mounted Blizzaks). This is my second year running them and I might be able to get a third out of them.

Remember you will not be able to use autosock on dry land or you will tear it apart in short order. I just watched the autosock video at the link above and geeze, I guess with those autosock gloves you can help give birth to a calf along the way.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
We live 45 minutes from Yosemite south entrance. First, doubtful there will be enough snowfall to warrant chains in the next week. Secondly, get a set of cables and keep them with you. I have NEVER seen chain control through Yosemite requiring 4wd with all season tires. If they stop you for chain control, and you have a set and state you are AWD with AT AWS tires, you will be good, they will wave you on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Jim_in_PA, @packout, @itsdchz.

I believe there's an existing thread that mentions this product in the Wheels/Tires section of the forum if my memory serves accurately...a quick search on that name shows it comes up in the various tire chain threads in that discussion area.
Actually, from those tire-chain threads I learned of Autosock. But I didn't come across a post where someone actually used them.

chains are NOT recommended for AWD Subarus and could cause serious damage. Autosock is an option as is a much more reliable but more expensive snow navigation option of actual snow tires (I mounted Blizzaks). This is my second year running them and I might be able to get a third out of them.

Remember you will not be able to use autosock on dry land or you will tear it apart in short order. I just watched the autosock video at the link above and geeze, I guess with those autosock gloves you can help give birth to a calf along the way.
Tires seems a good option, but for most of the year, here is sunny CA, I'll have little use for the snow tires. I just need something for the emergency use or, as I learned from the threads here, likely only to get past the chain control.

We live 45 minutes from Yosemite south entrance. First, doubtful there will be enough snowfall to warrant chains in the next week. Secondly, get a set of cables and keep them with you. I have NEVER seen chain control through Yosemite requiring 4wd with all season tires. If they stop you for chain control, and you have a set and state you are AWD with AT AWS tires, you will be good, they will wave you on.
Thanks so much for the tip. Good to know that much snow is unlikely the next week. As you suggested, I'll still get something to get past chain-control. Torn between Autosock and "security chain co cables."
My ignorance, but I didn't get the last part. Would Ascent with All Season tires be safe to drive on in the expected levels of snow in Yosemite in next week or so? And generally, do people with AWD car actually need chains anytime of the year in Yosemite?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am going to Yosemite in a week and apparently tire-chains are recommended. I don't have much experience driving in now before.

My 2019 Ascent has all-season Falkens and still reasonable tread depth. I am considering getting Autosock, instead of chains based on suggestions here. Reviews on Amazon seem to be a bit mixed however.

Does anyone have any experience of actually using the Autosock on Ascent? With Subaru and AWD, I understand I may not need them. But I'd want to buy something that, if actually needed on a rare occasion, won't leave me in dire straits.

I'd really appreciate advice from more experienced folks.
After thorough research, that's what I purchased and they "count" as chains. Thankfully, I've never had to use them.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I can not speak to that location, but we have chain requirements in Colorado wherein certain times we can not go into the mountains without chains or awd with at tires, or 4wd and At tires. I think autosock is perfect for your situation.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Thanks @Jim_in_PA, @packout, @itsdchz.

Actually, from those tire-chain threads I learned of Autosock. But I didn't come across a post where someone actually used them.

Tires seems a good option, but for most of the year, here is sunny CA, I'll have little use for the snow tires. I just need something for the emergency use or, as I learned from the threads here, likely only to get past the chain control.

Thanks so much for the tip. Good to know that much snow is unlikely the next week. As you suggested, I'll still get something to get past chain-control. Torn between Autosock and "security chain co cables."
My ignorance, but I didn't get the last part. Would Ascent with All Season tires be safe to drive on in the expected levels of snow in Yosemite in next week or so? And generally, do people with AWD car actually need chains anytime of the year in Yosemite?
Sorry for confusion.
If chain controls are in place, CHP will inquire as they stop traffic, about if you are carrying chains. Your response should be yes, and I am an all wheel drive vehicle with suitable all terrain tires for snow. 99% they will wave you by, unless it is near white out, to continue without chain placement. I have only heard of locals having to put chains on 1 time in 15 years, and that was a really heavy snow storm, for California terms. I say, get a standard pair of cables, keep them in Ascent as an insurance policy to go through chain control. I do the same. One time I assumed my chains were back there, told CHP I had them, and when unloading in Yosemite, realized I did not. Hope this helps...

·
Administrator
778 Posts
I carry tire cables for our winter treks to the SoCal mountains... Have yet to use them. The CHP always wave the Subaru through.

We have seen them stop Subaru's going up the hill in the past, but they were sparkling clean and/or had paper plates on them. Years ago someone had mentioned on one of the (many Subaru) forums I am on the dirtier the Subaru the better, it evokes a sense of you've driven in this stuff before...

C.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's been a few years now but I used to drive back and forth over the Sierra between Reno the Sac valley many times a winter, some years it was weekly. Always got through chain control with AWD/4WD and all season tires. The only times I didn't was towing a trailer and I had to put chains on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. IDK about nowadays.

Snow tires, chains, etc. don't make the difference between safe and unsafe, just more or less safe.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
211 Posts
I've carried Autosocks in my wife's Mini Countryman ALL4s (on her 2nd one now, a John Cooper Works) and now our 2019 Ascent for 5 years or so driving through the mountains of the PNW and never once needed to use them other than to show them once to OSP doing traffic control at an accident site going over Mt Hood. I think the AWD+appropriate all-season tires combined with common sense are more than enough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Really helpful.
As @kathytn @itsdchz @Merope @pdxeca indicated it appears it's highly unlikely that I'd run into conditions where I'd actually need tire-chains.
But I may need something to get past the chain control and Autosock may just do the job - as @packout, @kathytn and @pdxeca suggested.

And, @HeyChris, most importantly, I need to make sure that the car is dirty on the outside. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live at the 6,000 ft level in the mountains in So Cal with plenty of snow every winter. I've only had to chain up once in 35 years. I carry the Autosocks because they are light weight and easy to tuck in behind the seat for the rare instance CHP doesn't just wave a Subaru through chain control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I purchased my Ascent I had to sign a paper that chains must not be used. There is not enough clearance and chains will damage the car. I have used cable chains on previous vehicles and they broke so I would not recommend using cable chains either. I don't have any experience with the Autosocks but from the previous posts sounds like it is the way to go.

Here is the tire chain disclosure that I had to sign.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live at the 6,000 ft level in the mountains in So Cal with plenty of snow every winter. I've only had to chain up once in 35 years. I carry the Autosocks because they are light weight and easy to tuck in behind the seat for the rare instance CHP doesn't just wave a Subaru through chain control.
Do you have 4 of them because of AWD?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have 4 of them because of AWD?
I do have four of them but only because I sold a car with the same size tires. I only carry them to get through chain control and hope to never use them. I'm sure they would be a great help if needed and remind everyone that they are only for when you are actually on ice or snow, no pavement. If I do have to use only two I'd check the manual to see about front vs rear. I seem to recall it said where to put traction control devices but I could be wrong (don't tell my wife I said that!)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yosemite won't let you in the park without chains no matter if you have AWD or not if they have snow conditions. I've been there many times. I bought a set of chains from the thrift store. Doesn't matter if they fit or not. Chain Control will only ask to see the chains, not the size and won't have you install them. They just want to know you are carrying them. AWD is always enough. If they need more than that at the chain control, they don't let you through.
In fact, I'd bet just the plastic box with the label that says they are chains would do the trick.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts