Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it.

When I walk near my Ascent it will automatically unlock the doors - cool! Is there a setting to do the opposite and lock when I walk away?

Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Similar to how it unlocks when you touch the inside of the door handle, if you touch the 3 lines on the outside of the handle after closing the door, it will lock the doors.
As far as I know there’s no way to have it done touch-free

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went out and checked and you are correct. It just seemed like it magically unlocked the door when I got near it, but you really do need to touch the handle (or use the fob). Sorry to get your hopes up!

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
So I went out and checked and you are correct. It just seemed like it magically unlocked the door when I got near it, but you really do need to touch the handle (or use the fob). Sorry to get your hopes up!
I'm pretty sure I thought the same thing at first :grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts

When I walk near my Ascent it will automatically unlock the doors - cool! Is there a setting to do the opposite and lock when I walk away?

Many thanks.
I would have liked that too. Does any other car do that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My BMW has that feature you set it in the iDrive.... My Lincoln’s and my Volvo do not have this feature but the door touch is enough for me. I can lock quickly enough and it’s a habit, I don’t see why I’d need an auto lock feature. Plus my Volvo on call tells me when the car is unlocked, I’m assuming the Subaru will as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd love to see that as a feature that could be fine-tuned via the in-dash menus.

1) No auto lock -- car stays unlocked when keyfob goes out of range

2) Auto lock -- car locks when keyfob goes out of range

3) Auto lock + auto window close -- car locks and windows roll up when keyfob goes out of range

4) Auto lock + auto window close + auto moonroof close -- same, plus closing moonroof

Keyfob lock or door touch lock would do the extra steps as programmed for auto lock.

I'm not sure why auto-lock isn't either a default or a menu option, it seems at least as desirable as some of the weird auto-unlock modes that only unlock some doors. Auto window close not being there is probably due to some kind of safety concern, but you'd think the auto-up feature already has some kind of anti-pinch safety mechanism.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Many thanks.
The Chevy Equinox I rented just prior to buying my Ascent had that feature. That was CRAZY useful (and makes perfect sense). Seems to me like that could just require a software update to make work.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Our Tesla 3 uses the phone as the key. So it unlocks when you get close to the car (when bluetooth connects), then locks again when the phone is out of bluetooth range. "Get out and walk away" is the phrase. Love it!

Now a couple times in my Ascent I almost forgot to turn the car off when I was getting out as I got used to driving the Tesla!

Of course you can't leave your phone in the car or it won't lock. Though I can manually lock it if my fiancee leaves her phone in the car.

And for valet (or the kids), there's still the original key cards.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would be too paranoid for this feature. Did it really lock? Don't know must go back and see. Then it unlocks itself. I would not be sure it really locked when I left or not. So I walk away...maybe it locked... but I can't handle not knowing and so I run back and AHA the car is unlocked. I knew it. Please stop this mad cycle...….I like hearing the little bit of noise when I hit the bars on the door handle then I pull the handle to make sure it locked...aaahhhhh ...this is driving me mad!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Or if you have a spouse who carries their keys and then leaves them in the car because they conveniently never have pockets...it wouldn't work for that either, but neither does the door handle I have to use the remote.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would be too paranoid for this feature. Did it really lock? Don't know must go back and see. Then it unlocks itself. I would not be sure it really locked when I left or not. So I walk away...maybe it locked... but I can't handle not knowing and so I run back and AHA the car is unlocked. I knew it. Please stop this mad cycle...….I like hearing the little bit of noise when I hit the bars on the door handle then I pull the handle to make sure it locked...aaahhhhh ...this is driving me mad!!!
The cars I've owned with it make an audible noise when you pull the handle to unlock. Most flash the lights when auto locking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mazdas can do that. At least I know our CX-5 can.
Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I was looking if Subaru has this feature as well. I guess not.
My Mazda 3 has it and I love that feature... you just close the door and walk away and you'll hear and audio confirmation that it's locking... and if it doesn't lock, it usually means I leave the key in the car :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts