Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can now verify because this happened more than twice, that the reflection from the light tan of a deer's side will shut off the automatic high beams.

Because the low beams are projector style with a most definite shade line, this can instantly render some or all of the animals invisible.

For my own safety and peace of mind I have turned off AHB.

I am slowly learning that the more gadgets, bells and whistles I turn off, the more I like driving the Ascent!

Super Moderator
I am slowly learning that the more gadgets, bells and whistles I turn off, the more I like driving the Ascent!
You鈥檙e making me appreciate my Premium trim without all those bells and whistles. There are a couple I wish I had: rear view mirror camera thing, color lcd in the dash center.
I haven鈥檛 heard many complaints about the auto wipers, which I don鈥檛 have, but I鈥檓 fine with those being manual also.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
The good news is that you can buy a Touring for all the bells and whistles being available and then pick and choose which are important to you and which you prefer to have turned off. :) It's only money... :D

Reactions: xydadx3

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't do without the cameras. There's probably a button or two in odd places I couldn't tell you what they do. For me it was about availability and the available premium had more miles on it. I even turn off the center screen when there's no reason for it to be on which is usually.

Super Moderator
You figured out how to turn off the "7 seat only" feature of the Touring???!!!
LOL 'Fraid not. And don't forget the Onyx has this feature, too. Seriously, I seem to remember Robert mentioning that the actual demand for 8 position seating may not be high enough to incent the company to offer it across the board. Captain's Chairs in the second row are very popular, and not just with the Subaru Ascent, but across the midsize SUV space. That format is also easier for access to the third row in the rear. Unfortunately, there are family situations were that extra seat is a necessary, so I can appreciate the concern.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

Registered
I鈥檓 a huge fan of the Ascents headlights. The power of both the high and low beams, the way the beams adjust as you turn the wheel, and the Auto High Beam feature. That and adaptive cruise control are my favorite and most used features. The rear view mirror, camera mode is very helpful as well, but I usually don鈥檛 haul too much to the point I can鈥檛 see out the back.

Super Moderator
The rear view mirror, camera mode is very helpful as well, but I usually don鈥檛 haul too much to the point I can鈥檛 see out the back.
I use that feature 100% of the time and prefer it over the "real" mirror. :) But it did take a bit of time to get used to relative to eyes adjusting.

Registered
"Here, let me show you all the great high tech features of your new car..."

"No thanks. Just show me the off button!"

All that stuff is not for everybody and definitely not for me. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Here, let me show you all the great high tech features of your new car..."

"No thanks. Just show me the off button!"

All that stuff is not for everybody and definitely not for me. (y)
The distractions can be annoying but turned off, but addressing one safety issue whilst creating another one concerns me more. 'Auto braking' without looking behind comes to mind.

I'd rather blaze another driver for 3/4 of a second that have the high beams shut off when I need them most.

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
I consider it a 4 seater. I don't think an adult should be made to sit in the back seat. It's fine for the dog!
I sit in the back and I am 6'1" and 240 lbs no issue at all, one of the main reasons we have the ascent and not another 3-row. The only better option was a mini-van and my wife hated it so much we took a $6K loss on it to get the Ascent.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
I consider it a 4 seater. I don't think an adult should be made to sit in the back seat. It's fine for the dog!
My dogs cannot be coaxed to the third row. I really wish I could have gotten the second row bench because the captains chairs don't really work well for my back seat copilots.

Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
My dogs cannot be coaxed to the third row. I really wish I could have gotten the second row bench because the captains chairs don't really work well for my back seat copilots.
Dogs were a major factor in our decision for the 2nd row bench.

I sit in the back and I am 6'1" and 240 lbs no issue at all, one of the main reasons we have the ascent and not another 3-row. The only better option was a mini-van and my wife hated it so much we took a $6K loss on it to get the Ascent.
I'm the same height and zero complaints about the 3rd row. Its beats other larger vehicle 3rd rows.

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
Dogs were a major factor in our decision for the 2nd row bench.

I'm the same height and zero complaints about the 3rd row. Its beats other larger vehicle 3rd rows.
Before the ascent was available I went to an auto show with my brother in law and niece and we sat in every 3 row vehicle including "full-size" SUVs the mini-vans won by a far margin for comfort and space behind the seat, this was before the ascent came out. Which is how we ended up with the Odyssey, the ascent was just too far away to wait and the Tribeca wasn't cutting it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's interesting, I sat in the 3rd row for a minute or two and didn't like it at all, sounds like other brands may be worse. I did note the toy headrests and that it appears 2 car seats can be installed back there. I'm not 6'1 and my knees were up in the air. The ability to recline helped. I have the Subaru rear seat cover installed and the dog likes it back there. Most often they are flipped down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts