Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to p*** some people off, but this was such a contentious issue on the Outback forum. There were two major issues with the Outback, one of which was downright unsafe. Both of these have been changed on the Ascent.

First, there is no reason that a car that sells at this price point should not automatically lock the doors, whether when put in gear or when reaching a speed threshold. The Outback did not, the Ascent that I drove does.

Second, and more importantly, a door should be opened when you pull on the interior handle, regardless of whether it is locked or unlocked. The only exception to that would be if you had a child-safety lock set on that specific rear door. The Outback didn't, the Ascent does. (Or, it automatically unlocked the doors when I put it in Park; not sure which.)

Thank you, Subaru, for listening to the concerns that many of us had.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know I'm going to p*** some people off, but this was such a contentious issue on the Outback forum. There were two major issues with the Outback, one of which was downright unsafe. Both of these have been changed on the Ascent.

First, there is no reason that a car that sells at this price point should not automatically lock the doors, whether when put in gear or when reaching a speed threshold. The Outback did not, the Ascent that I drove does.

Second, and more importantly, a door should be opened when you pull on the interior handle, regardless of whether it is locked or unlocked. The only exception to that would be if you had a child-safety lock set on that specific rear door. The Outback didn't, the Ascent does. (Or, it automatically unlocked the doors when I put it in Park; not sure which.)

I certainly hope the door will not open with the vehicle in gear.

·
Registered
210 Posts

I was wondering about that. I have my ;03 sequoia that locks when I put it in gear. I drove the outback for a couple days, and realized that it didn't do that and asked my husband why he hadnt set it up for automatic locking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with your assessment and that position regarding door locking behavior.

Sometimes it is hard to reconcile the breadth of opinions taken by a community as varied as Outbackers. You have the rugged individualists who want their OB to be reimagined as a zombie apocalypse vehicle, all the way across to parents with young children or octogenarians who are looking for their last car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about that. I have my ;03 sequoia that locks when I put it in gear. I drove the outback for a couple days, and realized that it didn't do that and asked my husband why he hadnt set it up for automatic locking.
It simply doesn't exist, at least as far as the 2016 model is concerned. I am very pleased that this (and the other issue) has been fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with your assessment and that position regarding door locking behavior.

Sometimes it is hard to reconcile the breadth of opinions taken by a community as varied as Outbackers.
I don't have a problem with people having different opinions. The problem I have is when there are a few knuckleheads on the Outback forum who act like you called their mama a bad name whenever you suggest that Subaru didn't get it right. They make that forum simply a place to go get information when you need it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Door lock in gears was a high concern for my wife when we're looking for a new car. That was high on her concerns over eyesight and other safety feature. We didn't have a single issue without that option on our honda pilot hauling 8-9 passengers to many road trips. So I explained to my wife if she ever encounters an accident where the door is locked and the crash cut the power that you can't unlock the door. I asked if she has anything to cut the seat belt and smash the window to get out if the car starts to go on fire? Then she starts to rethink that statement. As most Asian people don't carry any pocket knife, survival tools or gun like most Americans do these days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Door lock in gears was a high concern for my wife when we're looking for a new car. That was high on her concerns over eyesight and other safety feature. We didn't have a single issue without that option on our honda pilot hauling 8-9 passengers to many road trips. So I explained to my wife if she ever encounters an accident where the door is locked and the crash cut the power that you can't unlock the door. I asked if she has anything to cut the seat belt and smash the window to get out if the car starts to go on fire? Then she starts to rethink that statement. As most Asian people don't carry any pocket knife, survival tools or gun like most Americans do these days.
And, in a panic situation (fire, car in water, etc.), the LAST thing you want to be doing is searching for an unlock button to get out of the vehicle. For this reason, we actually almost never lock our Outback doors while we are in it, unless we feel we are in an unsafe area.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't recommend that you bring race/ethnicity onto this forum; getting into stereotypes can quickly derail meaningful conversations about the topic at hand: Subaru Ascent and cars in general.

·
Registered
210 Posts
And, in a panic situation (fire, car in water, etc.), the LAST thing you want to be doing is searching for an unlock button to get out of the vehicle. For this reason, we actually almost never lock our Outback doors while we are in it, unless we feel we are in an unsafe area.

Kind of funny, all of our differing reasons for doing what we do. For me, when I was about 8, my mom and I were stopped at a red light and the guy behind us got out his car and tried to open the driver's side door. Thankfully, the door was locked, but that lesson has stuck with me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Kind of funny, all of our differing reasons for doing what we do. For me, when I was about 8, my mom and I were stopped at a red light and the guy behind us got out his car and tried to open the driver's side door. Thankfully, the door was locked, but that lesson has stuck with me.
Nowadays, put up your smartphone to record the perpetrator, then make the idiot infamous on YouTube or World Star Hip Hop. heh sorry, I digress.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always observe around at all times, so any weird issue like that you can easily and have time lock the doors manually.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I actually like the fact that the doors on my Outback and legacy never locked on their own. If I want them locked I will lock them. If I want them unlocked I will unlock them. My F150 locks the doors when I hit 5 mph or something like that and then unlocks when I put it in park. I like that too...

I don't care either way :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually like the fact that the doors on my Outback and legacy never locked on their own. If I want them locked I will lock them. If I want them unlocked I will unlock them. My F150 locks the doors when I hit 5 mph or something like that and then unlocks when I put it in park. I like that too...

I don't care either way :)
I personally like choices, as in being able to turn things like this on and off. The Outback offered none of that.

One thing I DON'T like is the auto unlocking in Park. Too many cases of crooks/con artists bumping people in large cities, creating a small "accident". As soon as you put your car in park, you have lost all security.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EXACTLY why auto-lock should be (at worst) a settable option.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unfortunately that would require me to come up with a metric solution.

10mm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts