Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed something "different" this morning.

When driving the car, only the rear climate control was on, which was odd. The only way to turn it off and on was to press the Rear On/Off button.

When the controls are all synced, the rear unit will only turn on//off independently of the front.

From what I recall, this should be able to be turned on/off with the main ON/OFF button while Sync is enabled.

Why waste time say lot word when video do trick.

Did I somehow miss this "feature" during the past 6 months of ownership?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's so driver can turn off their climate control without affecting 2nd and 3rd row.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's so driver can turn off their climate control without affecting 2nd and 3rd row.
Huh.

So rereading the manual, what you said is incorrect.

Full auto mode, the entire system should be shut down with a single press of On/Off.

Manual mode splits the two On/Off buttons.

Seems like a fault.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Alas, I am correct. So is Version D of the manual. We're on Version D of the manual, currently.

• ON/OFF controls front climate control, contrary to any implications the earlier page (or earlier versions of the manual) may indicate.
  • REAR ON/OFF controls the rear climate control.
There've been a number of correction submissions made for the original manual, some of them have made it into the new versions. 😉

Page 272 Version D of Online Digital Version:

Huh.

So rereading the manual, what you said is incorrect.

Full auto mode, the entire system should be shut down with a single press of On/Off.

Manual mode splits the two On/Off buttons.

Seems like a fault.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alas, I am correct. So is Version D of the manual. We're on Version D of the manual, currently.

• ON/OFF controls front climate control, contrary to any implications the earlier page (or earlier versions of the manual) may indicate.
  • REAR ON/OFF controls the rear climate control.
There've been a number of correction submissions made for the original manual, some of them have made it into the new versions. 😉

Page 272 Version D of Online Digital Version:
Do you know when the online manual will be updated?

I finally had time to circle back around. (28 days later... :p)

Looking as of today, the "old(?)" version with the "old" methodology is still published. Full auto: On/Off shuts off the front & back.

This is the link published for my VIN:

Evaluating the URL you published, yours is definitely for 2019; this one is for 2020. There appears to be no Version D for 2020 at the moment.

Manual Control of powering down the rear unit is covered:

Full Auto is described a few pages earlier:

I'm guessing the tech writers at SOA did exactly what you asked for and updated the one manual 😄

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
LMAO!!! I'll verify that functionality in the 2020+ isn't supposed to match the 2020 manual, and report the mistakes if that's the case.

And if not, then perhaps we can get them to figure out why your 2020 doesn't follow the manual.

I wonder if it's a feature that didn't make it into the 2020...

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LMAO!!! I'll verify that functionality in the 2020+ isn't supposed to match the 2020 manual, and report the mistakes if that's the case.

And if not, then perhaps we can get them to figure out why your 2020 doesn't follow the manual.

I wonder if it's a feature that didn't make it into the 2020...
Genuinely Appreciated!

I cannot imagine this would be anything more than an oversight in systems programming in the HVAC controller, and therefore an "error" in the manual.

Kind of like the interior lights add-on button for 2020+ ... oopsie

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Can you please do me a favor? There's another one I'm trying to knock out that's also related to the climate system.

Please long press your rear defrost button and see if it blinks at you. I think I know what it does, but it's not described in the manuals, and though I know it blinks in the 2019, I don't immediately have access to a 2020 to test.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you please do me a favor? There's another one I'm trying to knock out that's also related to the climate system.

Please long press your rear defrost button and see if it blinks at you. I think I know what it does, but it's not described in the manuals, and though I know it blinks in the 2019, I don't immediately have access to a 2020 to test.
So, please tell.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here's what I saw. I wasn't exactly sure what to look for, so I recorded it.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Here's what I saw. I wasn't exactly sure what to look for, so I recorded it.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!! I am wondering if it disables the timeout. Hmmm...

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Yes, in the head unit, in Settings->Vehicle, you can have the rear defogger stay on indefinitely. So, question is, what does a long press do?

The deicer, by the way, is apparently never "always on", even in the 15 minute window, unless you're at a certain speed - or so another part of the instructions say.

I thought we could already do that....but it would better to do on an as needed basis.

View attachment 7053

1 - 15 of 15 Posts