Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I easily installed the exterior autodimming mirrors and they do function. The approach lights work and if I shine a flashlight onto my rear view mirror they clearly dim appropriately.
however when driving, the rear view mirror is dim, the the exterior mirrors just are not appreciably dimming.
i am stumped.
when I shine the flashlight you can see the rim of undimmed mirror surrounding the dimmed part clearly. But this is not happening when driving. Given the rearview one is dim i would expect the exterior ones to be similar.
Anyone else?
(the back is empty, no obstruction to sensor).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dimming level of the exterior mirrors is regulated by the level of light detected by the Auto-Dimming (Interior) Mirror.
Using a flashlight right on the sensor vs. headlights from the rear of Subaru's longest biggest vehicle many not be an accurate way to test the mirrors.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dimming level of the exterior mirrors is regulated by the level of light detected by the Auto-Dimming (Interior) Mirror.
Using a flashlight right on the sensor vs. headlights from the rear of Subaru's longest biggest vehicle many not be an accurate way to test the mirrors.
Very true! and I agree, and thank you for putting thought to my problem! I needed and wanted to demonstrate to myself they were installed correctly and working, which they appear to be.

Also, I would think that they should "match" dimming response to the rear view mirror as they are using the same sensor, no?

So this is my quandary. If the rear view is dim, and the exterior are not, yet are clearly responding to the light in extreme settings, what the heck is going on?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
In my experience, the exterior mirrors do match the dimming response of the interior mirror. If the interior mirror is noticeably dim, then the exterior ones are as well. I will say, however, that we usually drive with the interior mirror in "television mode" (using the rear camera instead of the mirror glass). But whenever there are vehicles behind me, the exterior mirrors are usually pretty dim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very true! and I agree, and thank you for putting thought to my problem! I needed and wanted to demonstrate to myself they were installed correctly and working, which they appear to be.

Also, I would think that they should "match" dimming response to the rear view mirror as they are using the same sensor, no?

So this is my quandary. If the rear view is dim, and the exterior are not, yet are clearly responding to the light in extreme settings, what the heck is going on?
In my experience with Subaru's the newer vehicles, post 2019. The sideview mirrors don't dim as much as they used to. And if you had your side windows tinted you probably wouldn't want them to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.