Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the aftermarket for auto tilting side view mirrors?

I think the use case is pretty self explanatory, but just in case:
When the vehicle enters REVERSE, the passenger side mirror dips down a few degrees.

What purpose does this serve?
Driver is able to see the curb as they are backing in during a parallel parking maneuver.

Speculation here - I'd imagine this is hacking a body control module with a little bit of logic (if this then that).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
I've never seen that offered and it would require a bit of integration for sure.

That said, I wouldn't be in the line to buy it, personally...I actually dislike that feature as well as typical "entry/exit seat" movement. I don't feel a need for it, especially with how outstanding the backup cameras are these days.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,291 Posts
I'd certainly buy one if one were offered. I'm not sure it'd be easy to do, though, given the amount of integration all these components have today. Our 2005 Acura MDX has an aftermarket module to lock the doors when taken out of park and unlock when put back into park (that wasn't available through the vehicle settings). But...it has an auto-dipping passenger mirror...go figure!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Interesting. There are a few threads of people on the Outback forum also interested in this feature. Along with the heated wheel. Watching for updates.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
52 Posts
Spouse has had on their car, I am super meh about the dipping side mirrors.
and as @Jim_in_PA stated, the moving seat in my last car made me nuts. It would squish the adult sized rear passengers! Not a fan.
HOWEVER! Why the heck don’t the side mirrors fold and unfold automatically!
if I can remember, I will fold them, turn off the car, the release the button so then they will immediately unfold when i turn the car on. If only the button worked when the car was already powered off...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
HOWEVER! Why the heck don’t the side mirrors fold and unfold automatically!
That...is a feature I wouldn't mind having, particularly in tight parking situations.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I have the mirror look-down on a non-Subaru and find it’s a love-hate feature. Sometimes I love it when I am trying not curb-rash my wheels while parallel parking, and other times I hate it when trying not to hit the snowblower handle when I am backing into my side of the garage. 😏

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,291 Posts
Our MDX's auto-dip is implemented pretty well I think. It's not enabled or disabled through an on-screen setting somewhere...rather, it's through the side selector switch on the mirror joystick. If the switch is in the center position (so that neither mirror adjusts with the joystick), then the passenger side mirror auto-dips in reverse. But if the switch is in either the left or right position, as if you're going to adjust one of the mirrors, then the passenger side mirror does not auto-dip.

This makes it very easy and convenient...if the mirror dips and you don't want it to, just slide the selector switch to the left or right and the dipped mirror will return to its regular position. Switch it back to center and the mirror dips again. Leave the selector switch in either the left or the right position all the time if you never want the mirror to dip.

It's brilliant -- easy and functional.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
255 Posts
Our MDX's auto-dip is implemented pretty well I think. It's not enabled or disabled through an on-screen setting somewhere...rather, it's through the side selector switch on the mirror joystick. If the switch is in the center position (so that neither mirror adjusts with the joystick), then the passenger side mirror auto-dips in reverse. But if the switch is in either the left or right position, as if you're going to adjust one of the mirrors, then the passenger side mirror does not auto-dip.

This makes it very easy and convenient...if the mirror dips and you don't want it to, just slide the selector switch to the left or right and the dipped mirror will return to its regular position. Switch it back to center and the mirror dips again. Leave the selector switch in either the left or the right position all the time if you never want the mirror to dip.

It's brilliant -- easy and functional.
This is how the Mini/BMW one operates as well. I switch it off every time I get in the driver's seat, my spouse switches it on every time she gets in. I turn it on 10% of the time when I'm parallel parking, usually when the backup camera is screaming at me and I can't figure out what the problem is. It's usually a bush on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Is there a reverse wire at the driver's kick panel? I looked into this many moons ago and the KPtechnology module appears to be adaptable. I prefer not to have to run wires all over the places. If someone can locate the reverse wire, likely negative (-) switch

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have now had 2021 Premium (Canada) for about 4 weeks. Our 2020 Outback XT Premium has this feature and autofold also. I don't understand why this is not on the Ascent. They are handy and can be disabled if not desired.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Had curbside mirror adjustment on a recent car. Had a love-hate relationship with it. At times I loved it such as when parking in the city to avoid curb rash on my wheels; other times hated it while backing into my garage and trying to get in tight to the right side of the car. So my current preference is to do a manual curb adjust and NOT have it be automatic. Much easier to only use it when you want it. (IMHO) 😉

1 - 17 of 17 Posts