Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering if the Ascent has the auto stop/start feature. I always thought that all the newer Subarus do but haven't heard anybody saying anything about it on this forum. It's not a deal breaker but I just want to know out of curiosity.

BTW, I pre-ordered a Premier (top Canadian trim, equiv. to US Touring) at end of February in Alberta, Canada. The dealer has no clue when it'll be here. All they told me was maybe around end of July. No VIN, VON, nothing.:sad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello,

I'm wondering if the Ascent has the auto stop/start feature. I always thought that all the newer Subarus do but haven't heard anybody saying anything about it on this forum. It's not a deal breaker but I just want to know out of curiosity.

BTW, I pre-ordered a Premier (top Canadian trim, equiv. to US Touring) at end of February in Alberta, Canada. The dealer has no clue when it'll be here. All they told me was maybe around end of July. No VIN, VON, nothing.:sad:
Can you be more specific to what your referring? Push button start? Adaptive cruise control?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm talking about the feature where the engine automatically stops when at a red light then starts back up when you step on the gas when the light turns green just to save a miniscule amount of fuel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm talking about the feature where the engine automatically stops when at a red light then starts back up when you step on the gas when the light turns green just to save a miniscule amount of fuel.

Thanks.

Is that what that is?! Always wondered why cars did that. The ascents dont have that feature. Cant imagine that being too good on the engine/starter etc etc though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's one piece of "technology" that I'm glad the Ascent doesn't have!

Reactions: Trey T and Dandy

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My sister has that technology on her brand new Volvo XC40 and it lunges forward when the gas is applied, every time the engine restarts. Subaru made a smart decision in not offering it, but I imagine they will in the future.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My sister has that technology on her brand new Volvo XC40 and it lunges forward when the gas is applied, every time the engine restarts. Subaru made a smart decision in not offering it, but I imagine they will in the future.
If they do I hope it is in a Hybrid system so that the battery offers a smooth start while the engine kicks in.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Those technology are designed for cities like NY, LA, Boston, Philly, or even Austin, which has major bottle-necking. Cities like Houston wouldn't find it as beneficial.

I think that technology, similar to hybrid, will trickle down because there's a huge popularity gain in hybrid technology.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
777 Posts
If they do I hope it is in a Hybrid system so that the battery offers a smooth start while the engine kicks in.
in Hybrid Subaru they still use separate (3rd) battery dedicated only for auto stop/start feature...

i do like the feature.. took about 6 month to get use to it ...

Subarus do have auto stop/start feature on NON-Hybrid models just not in US

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time I witnessed that was a brand new Benz and I thought how said it was to have a brand new car stall out at a stop sign. I do agree it is annoying to hear it whrpen every car at a light restart their engines

·
Registered
665 Posts
in Hybrid Subaru they still use separate (3rd) battery dedicated only for auto stop/start feature...

i do like the feature.. took about 6 month to get use to it ...

Subarus do have auto stop/start feature on NON-Hybrid models just not in US
Canada gets all the goodies

from every car manufacturer.
I blame the bloated government regulatory divisions for this. They have nothing better to do than come up with crazy rules so they can keep there jobs, cause if they don't then they ain't doing anything.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The first time I witnessed that was a brand new Benz and I thought how said it was to have a brand new car stall out at a stop sign. I do agree it is annoying to hear it whrpen every car at a light restart their engines
A few cars that I've rented including the newer Nissan Altima, Chevy Malibu, and my coworker's f150 does that to save gas lol. My v8 Chevy Silverado don't need to do that and gets the same mpg as the Ford.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A few cars that I've rented including the newer Nissan Altima, Chevy Malibu, and my coworker's f150 does that to save gas lol. My v8 Chevy Silverado don't need to do that and gets the same mpg as the Ford.
It was definitely disconcerting the first time it happened in a rented Ford Escape for me, and I have had it in a number of other cars and am getting used to it. I always wonder about how much fuel is actually being saved.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It was definitely disconcerting the first time it happened in a rented Ford Escape for me, and I have had it in a number of other cars and am getting used to it. I always wonder about how much fuel is actually being saved.
The dollar savings on the amount of fuel saved by this feature will never offset the wear and tear on the engine. I know the manufacturers say the starter is specifically designed for this and that the engine will not be harmed. Let us revisit this 6-8 years down the road to see how these stop/start features are still performing on an eight year old vehicle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Audi had this feature thanks goodness I was able to turn it off, glad the ascent does not have it. I do like the auto hold at stops though in the Ascent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm in the market possibly for an Ascent and looking into MY2020 Ascent. I know MY2019 does NOT have this auto start/stop but what about MY2020? Was this feature added? I do NOT like this feature and don't want it but all manufacturers will need to eventually incorporate this 'feature' in all their models to get better overall fleet average MPG to meet EPA requirements. It's just a matter of time before the Ascent will see it as well. MY2019 Forester already has this dreaded feature. Can anyone confirm if MY2020 Ascent has it?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.