Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed many times. I am not a fan. It is a deal breaker in a vehicle purchase.
We are currently casually following a few vehicles for my wife’s next car, (won’t be for a couple years unless necessary). Crosstrek is of interest to her. It looks like the “feature” is on some trim levels. She said, “Why would anyone want that?” Exactly.
I really hope Subaru is listening as from what I’ve read, most folks don’t like or want auto stop/start. I get they do it for fuel economy and emissions but at least let us turn it off and have it stay off unless desired. None of this having to turn off every time you get in the car.
Sorry, rant over. Really hope the Crosstrek, or if they bring a new small suv to market can stay in the running, I’d love to put the wife into a Subaru too.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wife doesn’t like it either. Looks like a lot of cars have it, even on a Jeep Wrangler. The only cars that won’t have it will be sticks. The Crosstrek at least gives you that option still.
For now... hopefully Subaru makes the right decision and either gets rid of it altogether or at least gives the option to turn it off, actually off by the time we’re looking to buy or I’ll be looking at the competition. Hopefully at least one of them will have an offering without it. If not, maybe there will be an aftermarket workaround solution somehow.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Had a guy once in a F-150 creeping up behind me looking for a parking spot,apparently he must’ve stopped then moved again and that’s when I heard the engine restart .Literally scared the crap out of me,stupid feature.Its enough for us to get in our vehicles and hope everything goes well,now another useless gadget to worry about.

There are aftermarket modules out that can keep the Auto S/S feature off all times and can be reversed.Some vehicles are harder than others to install but it’s the price to pay if one really hates this feature.I saw a company online that makes them for GM,Fords & Subarus.

·
Registered
775 Posts
There was a rather lively discussion about this a little bit over a year ago. There was some unpleasantness directed toward some members regarding that, don't ask me how I know...

I've driven SS systems fairly extensively from 5 or 6 different manufacturers. If it's well implemented it should be pretty much unnoticeable.If you can either feel it, or hear it restart while listening to the radio at normal volume levels, it's not well implemented.

I think Mercedes has the best implementation based off my last Merc and some of the C class loners I had. I currently have it on my F pace and I'm fine with it, but it's not as well implemented as in most Mercs. But it always reactivates before I can get my foot from the brake to the gas no matter how quickly I try. The palisade and Telluride I test drove the last 2 days had it and it was very seamless there as well.

I had it on one of my outback loners and when it engaged there, it seemed to shudder when it would reactivate. It also sometimes moved the car forward a couple of inches in the time I would move my foot from the brake to the gas, which was unsettling. I know boxer engines are inherently more vibration prone, I wonder if the shuddering is a characteristic of implementing it with such an engine. Like most things these days, I imagine it could be dialed in a little better with software.

Like it or not, it's probably a technology that's here to stay, at least until things go all electric, or nuclear fission powered. Way back when before I retired, I worked in the flow control field and we were always looking to reduce incremental losses, and I guess this is one way car manufacturers are looking to do that in terms of fuel consumption. I'd also like to see cylinder deactivation is well.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sure Subaru and other makers do a fine job with implementing their s/s systems however they are not good in cold climates. I’ve talked about this in another thread so I won’t go into the details again. I suppose if you Have a long commute in stop go traffic you’ll see decent savings and reduced emissions. For me, not the case and I don’t feel the benefits outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had the outback over the summer, so I can't comment on the SS system at cold ( ie Jan 1 6am cold startup in Northfield, MN, vs cold start at 6am on a hot July morning in Scottsdale, AZ), but my 19 ascent revs pretty high until warmup and I bet it would shudder if it had the SS system under those conditions. My Jag and Merc will not activate SS until the engine has warmed somewhat and the idle revs have dropped.

That would have to be a simple software update for Subaru if that's what's happening to you, but I imagine the re-engagement of the system would be harsh if it's engaging while the engine is cold and idle speed high.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would bet it will find it's way into the Gen 2 Ascent. I don't like the feature but it wouldn't stop me from upgrading to the next gen....as long as Subaru does the user-friendly thing and include a dedicated hard button somewhere on the dash to EASILY disable it...none of this stupid infotainment system diving.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
110 Posts
For now... hopefully Subaru makes the right decision and either gets rid of it altogether or at least gives the option to turn it off, actually off by the time we’re looking to buy or I’ll be looking at the competition. Hopefully at least one of them will have an offering without it. If not, maybe there will be an aftermarket workaround solution somehow.
You can disable Idle-stop on certain models permanently. According to this post, on Outback and Legacy.

Maybe they will carry over to more models eventually.

Torque News article

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Stop/Start is not a factory for Ascent which this forum predominantly caters to. That could change in the future, but for now, it's not a concern for this particular Subaru.

Reactions: Surgeman and rlb81

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
24 Posts
Stop/Start is not a factory for Ascent which this forum predominantly caters to. That could change in the future, but for now, it's not a concern for this particular Subaru.
One of the main reasons I bought mine!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Not a fan of start/stop. If I get a car with it, I will be getting elimination kit for it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Honestly, Professor Dr. SWMBO's MY20 Forester Limited has S/S and it's really been no big deal, at least in our typical rural/suburban driving. If we happen to get into stop and go traffic and S/S becomes annoying...simply pressing the rear defrost button turns it off until that feature times out.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
You can disable Idle-stop on certain models permanently. According to this post, on Outback and Legacy.

Maybe they will carry over to more models eventually.

Torque News article
Flierl writes:
"The new Outback and Legacy, does have a feature on its new 11.6-inch touchscreen menu and you can disable the system. When you are on the home screen, push the car icon button to change the settings and then click on “Others” allowing you to turn off the Auto Stop-Start system."

This capability was not in the 2021 Outback I tested for a week, just this past January. Nor in the 2020 I tested in 2020. The system turned back on, every new car start.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Flierl writes:
"The new Outback and Legacy, does have a feature on its new 11.6-inch touchscreen menu and you can disable the system. When you are on the home screen, push the car icon button to change the settings and then click on “Others” allowing you to turn off the Auto Stop-Start system."

This capability was not in the 2021 Outback I tested for a week, just this past January. Nor in the 2020 I tested in 2020. The system turned back on, every new car start.
Maybe the cars you tested did not get it yet. I believe this was a voluntary recall, WRI-20, and started back in December or January. I had my Legacy updated in late February. I only turned off the S/S feature once since the update as I don't mind the Stop Start system.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Maybe the cars you tested did not get it yet. I believe this was a voluntary recall, WRI-20, and started back in December or January. I had my Legacy updated in late February. I only turned off the S/S feature once since the update as I don't mind the Stop Start system.
Of the three I've driven, two included the updates. One wasn't registered with the server, so I couldn't do OTA for them or download to USB stick to update. This is the update:
OPERATIONAL ENHANCEMENT INCLUDED:
The Auto Stop-Start On/Off function button has been moved from the bottom to top layer of the system for easier use. A screenshot of how the button will appear is shown below.​
That DOES work, and makes turning off auto start/stop a one button click on the main screen. But, what I cannot find, anywhere, in any Subaru documentation, is the "turn off forever" (paraphrased) claim Flierl makes. On the contrary, all the documentation says that they simply moved the button to the main screen (from being buried on the vehicle screen).

What I wanted out of the updates was Auto Vehicle Hold to remember I left it on. When the car starts, it's shut off every new trip, unlike our Ascents, where its state is remembered.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Of the three I've driven, two included the updates. One wasn't registered with the server, so I couldn't do OTA for them or download to USB stick to update. This is the update:
OPERATIONAL ENHANCEMENT INCLUDED:
The Auto Stop-Start On/Off function button has been moved from the bottom to top layer of the system for easier use. A screenshot of how the button will appear is shown below.​
That DOES work, and makes turning off auto start/stop a one button click on the main screen. But, what I cannot find, anywhere, in any Subaru documentation, is the "turn off forever" (paraphrased) claim Flierl makes. On the contrary, all the documentation says that they simply moved the button to the main screen (from being buried on the vehicle screen).

What I wanted out of the updates was Auto Vehicle Hold to remember I left it on. When the car starts, it's shut off every new trip, unlike our Ascents, where its state is remembered.
Got it, I did not read the Torque news article, cuz Torque news, just by your quoted sentences. I don't recall if AVH setting is remembered or not as I have not used that feature since the update. If I remember, I will try the AVH tomorrow .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this has been discussed many times. I am not a fan. It is a deal breaker in a vehicle purchase.
We are currently casually following a few vehicles for my wife’s next car, (won’t be for a couple years unless necessary). Crosstrek is of interest to her. It looks like the “feature” is on some trim levels. She said, “Why would anyone want that?” Exactly.
I really hope Subaru is listening as from what I’ve read, most folks don’t like or want auto stop/start. I get they do it for fuel economy and emissions but at least let us turn it off and have it stay off unless desired. None of this having to turn off every time you get in the car.
Sorry, rant over. Really hope the Crosstrek, or if they bring a new small suv to market can stay in the running, I’d love to put the wife into a Subaru too.
I had the feature in my Audi Q5. OBDeleven plug and the app, and I was able to shut it off. Annoying feature, and of dubious need. If you live in bumper to bumper traffic, fine, it may save some fuel if you are stopped for five minutes. But when you live where 90% of drivers do, it is saves ZERO fuel when you come to a stop sign with no one else around. Modern fuel-injected cars use tiny amounts of fuel at idle. I doubt for most drivers it ends up being 1/2 an MPG (less if you live in a small city/rural area like I do).

With the DSG in the Q5, it also doesn't allow a quick take off to squeeze/merge into busy traffic, too much delay. I enjoy driving my cars. Sometimes, I just go for a drive. I like punching the gas whenever and wherever possible.

IMHO it is a stupid feature. If they ever put it on an Ascent, I'm sure COBB or another tuning company would have a flash that would negate it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts