Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very sorry if this has already been asked but I could not find anything via search.

Does the 2021 Ascent have Auto start-stop? I am working with a dealership right now on a 2020 Limited at a great price (about $1000 under invoice). I'm tempted to wait for the 2021 to get the lane-centering feature, but worried the 2021 may have auto start-stop (which I hate)

Thank you!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just checked the website,no mention of the start- stop feature for the ‘21 model.I read in the pass it’s something Subaru is considering for the future.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Adding that feature would require a lot of redesign to vehicles systems, so it's unlikely they would add the feature anytime soon. MY21 is only the third year of what is typically a five year run. for Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
We've had several hybrids with auto start-stop and it is totally a different experience, completely seemless, but drop that into a conventional vehicle and yup, suck city.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I was going back and forth between a 20 and a 21 I was told that Auto Stop/Start was not on the 2021 Ascent. Waiting on mine from the factory, but won't know till i have it in hand, but as others said it does not appear that it would be on this model year.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just dropped off my Ascent at the dealer for the recall and they gave me a Outback as a loaner.It’s a 2020 non-turbo with the start-stop feature ,let me say this feature totally sucks.I would never buy a vehicle with this feature in it.
you can control it with brake pedal , and if you can't learn how to do it with brake pedal you have button to turn it off

·
Registered
814 Posts
I definitely utilized the on/off button,it’s a terrible feeling when a vehicle feels like it’s about to stall.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I did not like that feature in the Forester loaner I had once. It was pretty jarring in that car. It was actually smoother in a rental Chevy Cruze I once had (car sucked otherwise). But as said above, you can learn to use the brake pedal to prevent the engine from stopping, as far as how Subarus work.

I just found out recently that these exist. I would buy this if I had a Subie with auto stop-start.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Adding start-stop to the Ascent would have been an instant deal-breaker for me. Coming to the h4 engine from many v8's, v6's, i4's and rotaries, the h4 is the roughest starting of all. Unless the engine gets serious counterbalance added, only the biggest diehard Subaru owners would stick around. Thankfully the roughness stops as soon as the engine is running but can't even imagine tolerating that rough start pulling away from every stop.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've had SS in a number of Mercedes courtesy cars, and I loved it. It's very seamless there. My F-Pace has it and I like it as well-not as smooth as the Merc -and the Jag has a slightly lopy idle, so it's not the the smoothest engine either. It might be a bit more jarring with a boxer engine, the Ascent does shimmy a little bit when the car starts up..

I think SS is something that once you have it for a week or two-if it's implemented decently- you would get used to it and it wouldn't bother you. I felt the same way until after a week of having the system and then I forgot about it for the most part.

I don't even notice it in the f pace, and you can't get your foot from the brake to the gas fast enough to beat it in the Merc or Jag, although I can't speak for any other brand implementation.

It's something we're probably going to see implemented a lot more of in the future, until/unless we go all electric.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Adding that feature would require a lot of redesign to vehicles systems, so it's unlikely they would add the feature anytime soon. MY21 is only the third year of what is typically a five year run. for Subaru.
I would not think so. Start/Stop (SS) is already on the Outback and Legacy XT models. SS is also found on many Subaru models sold outside North America.

I have not had a chance to experience the SS feature yet, but everyone seems to think Subaru's implementation is pretty bad. I wonder if the Subaru hybrids (both the older Crosstrek Hybrid and the newer Crosstrek Hybrid 2nd gen-plug-in model) also have the rough restarts. I am considering a 20/21 Legacy XT or a Crosstrek Hybrid to replace 13MY Legacy. Both have SS so it looks like it is something I should investigate to see if I can live with.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,156 Posts
I understand the Outback and Legacy with SS have a means to disable it, but it's hidden in a layer or two of on-screen menus in the head unit. The current Forester also has SS but I understand it has a simple button to disable the SS (since it uses a smaller head unit, similar to our Ascents). I guess there are also devices out there that you can plug into the harness somewhere that disable this feature, but I don't have any experience with how well they work.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Professor Dr. SWMBO's MY20 Forester Limited has SS...we barely notice it now that we're used to it. I can appreciate how many folks hate SS. Gut at the same time, it's becoming increasingly hard to avoid it. There are significant ($$$) financial benefits that manufacturers have in the testing methodologies for fleet performance by having it on their vehicles and without a native way to "permanently" shut it off.

I still feel that it's not coming soon for Ascent, but it's likely to happen at some point.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
To add SS on the ongoing Ascent model is quite dramatic. I highly doubt Subaru would play around in midst of good Ascent sales.

·
Registered
814 Posts
To add SS on the ongoing Ascent model is quite dramatic. I highly doubt Subaru would play around in midst of good Ascent sales.
I would hope not.The Outback loaner I had yesterday had the S/S feature,it was not smooth at all when you let off the brake pedal.No thanks Subaru or to any manufacturer using this feature. I rather drive a hybrid 😷

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found the 2021 Ascent manuals on the Subaru website and went through them and I find no references to S/S so I think we may have dodged a bullet this year.

I agree with most, that S/S from other manufacturers is often pretty seamless. We had an Outback loaner this week and in general, the whole car would shake and be pretty jarring. We drove over to the Volvo dealership to test drive an XC90 (before deciding on the Ascent) and the S/S was smooth enough to not even notice.

I'm sure Subaru will make it better in time, but I wish they had a physical button to disable it on models like the Outback until it's smoother.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I found the 2021 Ascent manuals on the Subaru website and went through them and I find no references to S/S so I think we may have dodged a bullet this year.

I agree with most, that S/S from other manufacturers is often pretty seamless. We had an Outback loaner this week and in general, the whole car would shake and be pretty jarring. We drove over to the Volvo dealership to test drive an XC90 (before deciding on the Ascent) and the S/S was smooth enough to not even notice.

I'm sure Subaru will make it better in time, but I wish they had a physical button to disable it on models like the Outback until it's smoother.
I wouldn't count on it getting a lot smoother until the engine adds counterbalance but most manufacturers got away from doing this because it steals HP and cuts mileage.

Did the Volvo have a transverse engine? Startup vibration is easier to damp in a transverse crank since the engine torques the car lengthwise. A longitudinal engine torques the car laterally. The shorter lateral distance vs longitudinal distance provides less damping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't count on it getting a lot smoother until the engine adds counterbalance but most manufacturers got away from doing this because it steals HP and cuts mileage.

Did the Volvo have a transverse engine? Startup vibration is easier to damp in a transverse crank since the engine torques the car lengthwise. A longitudinal engine torques the car laterally. The shorter lateral distance vs longitudinal distance provides less damping.
Not too sure TBH, don't know too much about cars. It was a 2020 Volvo XC90 T5

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very sorry if this has already been asked but I could not find anything via search.

Does the 2021 Ascent have Auto start-stop? I am working with a dealership right now on a 2020 Limited at a great price (about $1000 under invoice). I'm tempted to wait for the 2021 to get the lane-centering feature, but worried the 2021 may have auto start-stop (which I hate)

Thank you!
I have the 2021 legacy and it comes with the auto start stop and it can be turned off the only thing is watch time the car is turned off u have to go back in and turn the auto start stop back off

1 - 20 of 42 Posts