Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I realize this sounds “soft” but when you get used to these gadgets, they’re difficult to give up, especially on top of the line models. Like my preference for auto close side mirrors, does anyone know if any model comes with auto open tailgate? ...the type that opens if you kick it or stand behind it for a while with the keyfob in your pocket and arms full of groceries...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Touring comes with motorized rear gate.

My Forester has it too. It’s slow, compared to my Sienna van. But it’s a nice feature for sure.

I think but not sure it’s offered on limited.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Like my preference for auto close side mirrors, does anyone know if any model comes with auto open tailgate? ...the type that opens if you kick it or stand behind it for a while with the keyfob in your pocket and arms full of groceries...
Nothing comes with that. We have installed that as an after-market accessory in a couple of cars, though.

The power rear gate is optional on the premium trim level (basically if you get more than the bottom premium package, it'll have a power gate), and standard on the limited and touring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be getting my terminology mixed up. I thought power rear tailgate simply meant you press a button either at the latch or even inside and the tailgate opens. What I was referring to was an auto feature. Ford has the area under the rear bumper where you can kick it, my current suv allows me to simply stand behind the tailgate for about 5 secs and as long as I have the keyfob on me, the tailgate opens. Great when you’re carrying stuff. Again, not a deal breaker, just wondering if the Touring model has it. Note, one of the reasons I chose the Touring model was for ventilated seats. That’s one excess I cannot give up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing comes with that. We have installed that as an after-market accessory in a couple of cars, though.

The power rear gate is optional on the premium trim level (basically if you get more than the bottom premium package, it'll have a power gate), and standard on the limited and touring.
I might be getting my terminology mixed up. I thought power rear tailgate simply meant you press a button either at the latch or even inside and the tailgate opens. What I was referring to was an auto feature. Ford has the area under the rear bumper where you can kick it, my current suv allows me to simply stand behind the tailgate for about 5 secs and as long as I have the keyfob on me, the tailgate opens. Great when you’re carrying stuff. Again, not a deal breaker, just wondering if the Touring model has it. Note, one of the reasons I chose the Touring model was for ventilated seats. That’s one excess I cannot give up.
Carl answered your question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Half the time on my BMW, I look like an idiot just kicking under the car trying to get the tailgate to open. Nice feature but l feel like it is something that will easily break or get dirty and not work anyway.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Half the time on my BMW, I look like an idiot just kicking under the car trying to get the tailgate to open. Nice feature but l feel like it is something that will easily break or get dirty and not work anyway.
The people I know love this feature on their cars if they work. I know for Chevy and Buick they actually shine a light on the ground where to kick which really helps. Other vehicles I heard you have to kick 20 times and can't seem to get it and they never use the feature.

I could go either way as I think it would be convenient to have but not something I would make a decision around.

Still wish it had side view mirrors that could turn in electronically. This just makes it a lot easier to pull in a garage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The people I know love this feature on their cars if they work. I know for Chevy and Buick they actually shine a light on the ground where to kick which really helps. Other vehicles I heard you have to kick 20 times and can't seem to get it and they never use the feature.

I could go either way as I think it would be convenient to have but not something I would make a decision around.

Still wish it had side view mirrors that could turn in electronically. This just makes it a lot easier to pull in a garage.
one of the issues I had also is that at times if you are washing the car and your hose goes under the car it would open while washing car. Never had it happen in a car wash or anything. I like the idea of the light.

·
Registered
597 Posts
one of the issues I had also is that at times if you are washing the car and your hose goes under the car it would open while washing car. Never had it happen in a car wash or anything. I like the idea of the light.
Must have had your key in the pocket as you need that for it to work. When you are in the car the key is not near the hatch so it won't open when going in a car wash. It might also not work when the car is on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Audi a6 had one and like stated before I looked like a idiot kicking under the car to get it open, with how bad Subaru's auto door locks are this would be a nightmare IMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts