Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had our 2020 Ascent for a week. My wife pulled into the garage with out 12 week old in the back 2nd row car seat. She put it in park, left the engine running and stepped out to make sure she pulled far enough in to close the garage door. The key fob was in her coat pocket and her cell phone was in the car. She tried to get back in the car and the doors were all locked with the car running and our son in the back asleep. She tried the key fob to unlock the doors or open the hatch and nothing worked. She went in the house to get the spare key and tried the same and still nothing worked. She remembered that the key fob has an actual key in it and had to use that to unlock the door to turn it off and most importantly get our son out. I have not been able to reproduce this circumstance as of yet. With all of the weirdness I have been reading about, it doesn't seem out of the question. In addition, this morning all attempts to remote start through Starlink failed and an attempt to locate the car showed only a 4 hour old location.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2020 Ascent as well - I've never seen this issue. Normally, if I step out of the car while it's running, I leave the door open. But I have closed the door fully a time or two, and it has never locked behind me--no issues getting back in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can't really help you, but I know if you exit the vehicle while it is running and in park and someone inside the car locks the doors, the key fob will not unlock the doors. I know this because I will have my kids (11/9 years old) in the car and leave them there while I run in and grab something quick at a pizza place or gas station. You can't lock the car externally while it is running, so I have them lock it after I get out and they have to unlock it to let me back in...key fob won't work.

Was the location 4 hours ago incorrect? Mine will show the same thing if the car has been sitting somewhere for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2020 Ascent as well - I've never seen this issue. Normally, if I step out of the car while it's running, I leave the door open. But I have closed the door fully a time or two, and it has never locked behind me--no issues getting back in.
As I said, I haven’t been able to reproduce this specific scenario as of yet... but I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't really help you, but I know if you exit the vehicle while it is running and in park and someone inside the car locks the doors, the key fob will not unlock the doors. I know this because I will have my kids (11/9 years old) in the car and leave them there while I run in and grab something quick at a pizza place or gas station. You can't lock the car externally while it is running, so I have them lock it after I get out and they have to unlock it to let me back in...key fob won't work.

Was the location 4 hours ago incorrect? Mine will show the same thing if the car has been sitting somewhere for a while.
I have always thought that the car wouldn’t lock with the key fob inside as a standard unless manually locked by the lock button inside the car... do you take the key with you when you have the kids lock the car? I do believe that when you send a remote start that the car will lock the doors when it starts the car but we have always been able to u lock by touch/proximity when we go to the car.

Regarding old location info, I didn’t consider the possibility of the car not being moved all day (4 hrs), as in the last update/change as 4 hrs ago. That makes sense though. Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
just as a precaution, with any of my cars whenever I leave them running, with the key fob in my pocket or in the car, I always put the driver's window down about 5" or 6," so I can manually unlock the door just in case the car locks on me ( although I've never had any of my cars lock me out, even if I've left the keys inside of the car). You might want to get in the habit of doing that just as a precaution.

·
Registered
421 Posts
just as a precaution, with any of my cars whenever I leave them running, with the key fob in my pocket or in the car, I always put the driver's window down about 5" or 6," so I can manually unlock the door just in case the car locks on me ( although I've never had any of my cars lock me out, even if I've left the keys inside of the car). You might want to get in the habit of doing that just as a precaution.
Yep, I definitely do this out of habit, mostly because I'm driving rental cars much of the week, and you never know 100% how they're set up.

Doesn't take away from the OP's expectation that the Ascent should operate logically - and my experience is that it does, but you shouldn't be afraid of your car locking you out, ever. Interested in what the OP finds out, whether designed-in, an anomaly maybe with that spare key (spare ket nearby is when I've experienced some blips), or something else.

F.S.

·
Registered
226 Posts
do you take the key with you when you have the kids lock the car?
Yes, the key comes with me. First time I tried locking the doors while in park while getting out, they lock and then immediately unlock. So having my kids lock it after I get out was a work around.

·
Registered
567 Posts
BTW, have you programed in a Pin Code on the rear gate? It's a 5 digit code you program that allows you to unlock the front driver's door with no key fob anywhere around. Look for "Pin Code" in the large manual. The instructions may seem difficult and it's best to have two people (one to read them to you) or to print them out when you do it if you haven't done it on past Subaru's - because you only have so many seconds between steps. It's really not difficult to do at all - but you won't realize that until after you've done it once. The button you will be programing is to the right of the one you normally use to open the rear gate. It's shaped like a "dash" rather than a "dot"

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
I don't know why Subaru refuses to allow the FOB to lock/unlock when the car is running. This is something that bugs me like crazy with my 2011 WRX. It's also extremely annoying after having driven a Yukon for 2 years which would let you use the FOB in all scenarios. There is zero reason to disable a FOB. FOB, key, and manual operation of locks should all have equal ranking of control, regardless of vehicle state.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would’ve sworn my husband wrote this post because this happened to me exactly with my 2 girls in the back (one month old and 2 years old). I couldn’t believe it auto locked the car.
I also had it happen with my 2016 Crosstrek when my oldest was 1 years old.

Subaru please let us unlock a running car with the key fob or at least make this a configuration we can choose to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts