Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now, auto close side mirrors were for just the very expensive cars. But now they are on the Kia Sorento so my question is, are they on the Ascent? I may have missed it but I don’t recall seeing this in the specs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I asked dealer this very question. He said there are no any indications that side mirrors fold automatic or when button is pushed. It’s too bad. My 10 yo Sieanna van folds Mirrors with the push of the button.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked dealer this very question. He said there are no any indications that side mirrors fold automatic or when button is pushed. It’s too bad. My 10 yo Sieanna van folds Mirrors with the push of the button.
Not a deal breaker but bummer all the same.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I wish they did as well. This is really handy when you park in a garage and would have been really helpful in my case. But I figured they didn't fold in as I didn't see anything in the car that really indicated it would when I went and looked at it at the Auto Show. Granted it didn't have power so I couldn't test every button.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The American market is different than others. i.e. it's typical for Honda or Toyota cars in Jap to have folding mirror while the American market do not. The American market have to balance with investors and customers. I believe the culture is to keep the investors more happy than the customers, which is the reason why there are so many dam* recalls in the recent years (i.e. VW diesel emission cheating and Takata airbags).

On top of that, what's worst is that cars like Subaru along with top pedigree car makers, Toyota, are made in our own soil now. It's simply costs too much to produce in USA to make a product successful for loyal customers; look at Ford/Lincold's success, 50%+ of their cars are made else where and brought here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My father-in-law's late 90s Isuzu Trooper had folding mirrors. My wife and I drove it to New Mexico and found them to be extremely helpful for both offroading and parking. It would definitely be nice, especially here in Texas where you often get squeezed between two F-250s in a restaurant parking lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For some time now, auto close side mirrors were for just the very expensive cars. But now they are on the Kia Sorento so my question is, are they on the Ascent? I may have missed it but I don’t recall seeing this in the specs.
Every little thing adds to the price but I do agree it is a simple add to the car. My last few cars have had the option. I do not use the auto close as much as I probably should but not a deal breaker for me either

·
Registered
357 Posts
the auto close of power folding mirrors is a option that Subaru does offer in other markets, they definitely do in Japan. I have always looked at SOA and Fuji Heavy Metal as basically two companies that sell the same things and one Fuji tells the other what cool toys they can have. if you need examples just Google Levrog Sti and you will understand.

however in the WRX\STi world plenty of people have made the power folding mirrors a reality for them by utilizing parts from other markets.

Reactions: Northern Ty

·
Registered
294 Posts
the auto close of power folding mirrors is a option that Subaru does offer in other markets, they definitely do in Japan. I have always looked at SOA and Fuji Heavy Metal as basically two companies that sell the same things and one Fuji tells the other what cool toys they can have. if you need examples just Google Levrog Sti and you will understand.

however in the WRX\STi world plenty of people have made the power folding mirrors a reality for them by utilizing parts from other markets.

Yep... This ^^

While not ideal (and it'd be great if it was an easily obtained item), give it a few months and you should be able to find some on the websites that specialize in JDM accessories. Just be prepared for the wallet sticker shock... (although I think the US dollar is a bit stronger against the Japanese Yen now).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep... This ^^

While not ideal (and it'd be great if it was an easily obtained item), give it a few months and you should be able to find some on the websites that specialize in JDM accessories. Just be prepared for the wallet sticker shock... (although I think the US dollar is a bit stronger against the Japanese Yen now).

STi is still about 1k to do on the new models which is crazy money for a simple option.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My father-in-law's late 90s Isuzu Trooper had folding mirrors. My wife and I drove it to New Mexico and found them to be extremely helpful for both offroading and parking. It would definitely be nice, especially here in Texas where you often get squeezed between two F-250s in a restaurant parking lot.
You can manually fold the mirrors in, there is just no button to do it for you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
there are a lot out there in the car world, if you take out of consideration all "Luxury" vehicles even some with similar price tags.

Kia Sorrento
GMC Acadia
GM Tahoe\Yukon
Chevy Traverse
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Land Cruiser
Ford Flex
Ford Explore ( I think )

That was just a quick Google search , I am sure there are tons out there.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
The power folding mirrors come only on the Touring as I recall. They do not fold automatically (such as when putting the car into park). You have to push the button (on the driver's door switch panel, just ahead of the mirror angle joystick).

·
Administrator
7,800 Posts
The power folding mirrors come only on the Touring as I recall. They do not fold automatically (such as when putting the car into park). You have to push the button (on the driver's door switch panel, just ahead of the mirror angle joystick).
Correct, Touring only, and 2020 upwards only (not available in the 2019).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts