Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a CWP Premium model,was bored so I started poking around and noticed this small metal box under the drivers seat.Did some research and found it to be the amplifier.I’m curious to know if all Premium models come with this setup,all Premium owners please chime in.Check out the pricing for the OEM amp while you’re looking.

Here are pics of the amp and dash tweet that came on the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ll post my findings when I take the door panels off,which has been covered in another thread pertaining to the stock door speakers.

Waiting on some parts I ordered for a small project,if it works out I will start a new thread.Its going to be more of a DIY/FYI type of subject for those who want alittle change or just want to tinker.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes mine has that. Originally I thought that's where the RF amp went until I realized it went under the passenger seat.

Does it drive all channels or just some? I wonder if I can replace it and get full range on the rear door speakers?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It would be cool if it was merely a software-based crossover that limits the rear speakers. For what it's worth I emailed RF and asked if there was any rolloff in the Subaru upgrade (Flex 41 amp/DSP + speakers). They replied that there is none. I have the RF upgrade and the rear speakers sound like they're not getting full range. Perhaps what RF meant was that their system does not roll off any frequencies, but maybe that doesn't factor in the signal it's actually getting from the head unit(?)

I'm not a devleoper of any sort but maybe one of you guys can make sense of this. I have yet to read through it.
https://github.com/sgayou/subaru-starlink-research

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mine has that. Originally I thought that's where the RF amp went until I realized it went under the passenger seat.

Does it drive all channels or just some? I wonder if I can replace it and get full range on the rear door speakers?
Looking at the harness I would say it’s driving all speakers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would be cool if it was merely a software-based crossover that limits the rear speakers. For what it's worth I emailed RF and asked if there was any rolloff in the Subaru upgrade (Flex 41 amp/DSP + speakers). They replied that there is none. I have the RF upgrade and the rear speakers sound like they're not getting full range. Perhaps what RF meant was that their system does not roll off any frequencies, but maybe that doesn't factor in the signal it's actually getting from the head unit(?)

I'm not a devleoper of any sort but maybe one of you guys can make sense of this. I have yet to read through it.
https://github.com/sgayou/subaru-starlink-research
The guy basically took a head unit and figured out how to "jailbreak" it, or run his own software on the hardware. It was just proof of concept security work, he didn't actually do much but determine a path by which he could gain root access to the system.

It's not clear to me what you would do with this, besides maybe enable functionality that's limited by your trim level; I can see the potential for a jailbreak-type hack that would enable Nav on non-nav 8" head units, as I'd guess they run identical hardware. But after reading this analysis, it would probably be a lot of work to get there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I read that whole article, but there's two things clear from it that will dash our hopes.

1. He informed Subaru and Harman about the problem and they are going to fix it.
2. Even though he gained root access to the OS and file system, he did not open or modify the actual programs and config files for the stereo itself. He said it was all just binary files so it would be incredibly difficult to actually change the behavior of the system once we were "in".

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again just for fun,had these laying around the garage gathering dust and thought let’s try them.Speaker bracket and harness ordered from Amazon.Also bought from Home Depot,roofing material that resembles sound deadening,2 layers applied to the outer skin of the doors behind each speakers.

Anyone like to guess the brand?

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally went for a drive with out the wife ,means I can turn it up.I’m really quite impressed with the performance of these $5 driver,very accurate with the basslines until the oem amp gives out.The website recommends 1.5cuft of space so being installed in car doors should be sufficient.

So if you’re on the fence about a blown speaker replacement and don’t want to pay the crazy price of oem these will do the job.Of course there’s plenty of choices out there but like I mentioned these were spares I had laying around and curiosity got the best of me.

So in total there’s about $34 in equipment ,roof repair tape $17 @ Home Depot and alittle time invested.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts