Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with so many USB's in the vehicle, how will the Ascent know which one you want pumping music through the speakers (if any)?

Can you only play music through one specific USB input, or all? Can you play music from someone's phone who is plugged in through the 3rd row? 2nd row?...only front row? What if you have 2...3...4+ different phones plugged in/charging at the same time? Hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So, with so many USB's in the vehicle, how will the Ascent know which one you want pumping music through the speakers (if any)?

Can you only play music through one specific USB input, or all? Can you play music from someone's phone who is plugged in through the 3rd row? 2nd row?...only front row? What if you have 2...3...4+ different phones plugged in/charging at the same time? Hopefully you see what I'm getting at.
I'm almost positive that only one USB can be plugged-in as an input source for music/apps etc.

And the rest of the USB ports are just for charging.

Although I'm not sure for the BT connectivity and how that all integrates to the infotainment system

·
Registered
598 Posts
It’s a valid question. Maybe someone can test during a demo? My assumption is only the front USB ports act as inputs to the head unit. But that still doesn’t clear up how it functions when 2 usb devices are connected in the front. What happens on cars today with 2 USB ports? I guess I could test too but I never use the USB port and primarily use Bluetooth for audio streaming.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the JDPower video showed a screen with 2 USB inputs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It’s a valid question. Maybe someone can test during a demo? My assumption is only the front USB ports act as inputs to the head unit. But that still doesn’t clear up how it functions when 2 usb devices are connected in the front. What happens on cars today with 2 USB ports? I guess I could test too but I never use the USB port and primarily use Bluetooth for audio streaming.
On my current car (2015 Ford Flex), I have 2 USB ports in my center console, just as the Ascent has 2 on the front console. I have a thumb/flash drive with MP3s on that drive and plug my phone into the other for podcasts...instead of using the BT connection for this. I can select between the 2 different USB ports just like switching between FM 1 and 2 (for example). My guess is the Ascent will be set up similar.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've never been able to play music from a USB Flash drive on any Subaru vehicle. That may be different on the Ascent, but I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

But I've only had a few people bring that up. Most people just use their phone and the bluetooth even though they have their phone plugged into the USB for charging.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've never been able to play music from a USB Flash drive on any Subaru vehicle. That may be different on the Ascent, but I honestly don't know the answer to that question.
It works fine on '16 Forester. USB must be formatted as FAT32 and then just drag folders with music on it. It is plugged in to one of the USB ports inside of the console enclosure (between seats).

Ascent will not have USB in the console enclosure, I believe. I will then just use small form factor USB drive (nearly invisible) in the front USB.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all, I wanted to revisit this thread now that some of us have our Ascents. Can anyone confirm which USB's can send audio to the head unit...front row vs 2nd row vs 3rd row

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey all, I wanted to revisit this thread now that some of us have our Ascents. Can anyone confirm which USB's can send audio to the head unit...front row vs 2nd row vs 3rd row
I haven't tried hard to figure things out but here's what I have had happen

Iphone fwiw. Both front USB ports will connect to the HU. The rears only charge. I however, use Amazon music and am completely unable to play music to the HU while plugged into the USB port. Once you plug in it will not use your BT connection. And it will not let Amazon Music play through the cable.

Possible user error but it should just work regardless of the connection.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Siri needs to be enabled. Barf. So it works fine now with siri enabled. Can try wife’s phone and mine to see later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use Siri in the USB port in the front. It also works with hey Siri can u play music station inspired by (artist?). It will than work like iHome music. Great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts