Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head unit thinks it is working but zero sound from speakers. Amazon music through car play was dead. Tried restarting phone and updating amazon app. Nothing. Google maps nothing, then to my surprise the radio FM was not working. Going to let it sit but will look at potential update or maybe something diedded...

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
685 Posts
As vehicles evolve, things change. In my cars, when ever I would get something glitchy ... the 1st thing I would always do is check my grounds. Then I would disconnect the battery and drain the car's electrical system by trying the key and pump the brakes to rid any "dark" residual current and then reconnect the battery. This would then force the ECU, TCU and other modules to reset.

I am a caveman wrench, so I have zero idea if something like the above is advisable with the Ascent. I know any preset data will be lost unless the headunit has some kind of back up. I dunno if there are power seat presets or anything like that on the Ascent, if so ... gone. There has also been some strange reports of things like lift-gates misbehaving after battery resets in Outbacks.

Just ******* spitballing here. It's electrical. Many times ... hard restarts (cell phones, laptops) fix glitches.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was looking for a fuse on the amplifier under the passenger seat. It seems it is dead. The microphone works as I can ask siri something and it tries to respond but nothing through the speakers. It's got a warranty so I'm just going to take it in and not worry about resetting anything myself.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting... Do you have the Harmon Kardon system? Maybe there's an amplifier fuse. Do you hear even a hiss if you crank the volume to a high level?
No hiss nothing. Which is why I think the amp is dead.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I was having glitches (not radio), the concierge told me that the way to reset things (copying from his text message) was "if you have a 10mm socket, disconnect the negative and positive terminals from the battery then touch and hold the cables together for 10 seconds then re-attach to battery. That's a hack to reset the engine control module." Not sure if this will help you, it just came to mind after my reset glitches. Mine was low battery problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was having glitches (not radio), the concierge told me that the way to reset things (copying from his text message) was "if you have a 10mm socket, disconnect the negative and positive terminals from the battery then touch and hold the cables together for 10 seconds then re-attach to battery. That's a hack to reset the engine control module." Not sure if this will help you, it just came to mind after my reset glitches. Mine was low battery problems.
Zulater....try what Janner mentioned. I have a 2018 Outback which had the same issue a month after I bought it and the dealer removed the battery cables, touched them together, then reconnected them. This reset everything and it has been fine since then....no recurring issues. This was a big problem with the 2018 Outbacks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Zulater....try what Janner mentioned. I have a 2018 Outback which had the same issue a month after I bought it and the dealer removed the battery cables, touched them together, then reconnected them. This reset everything and it has been fine since then....no recurring issues. This was a big problem with the 2018 Outbacks.
Still is!! The head unit in the Outback is less than stellar.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Touching them together after disconnecting will drain almost all capacitance from modules and electronics in the vehicle to make sure they aren't held in a sleep state. Some people may recall various different tech support saying something like "disconnect power and wait 15 seconds before plugging in", same kind of thing, but touching the cables mostly forces the discharge rather than waiting for it to leak naturally.

Most settings should be saved to flash so it shouldn't completely reset every setting, but I haven't tested in the Ascent yet and that can vary.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get that, however, I don't like the idea of having to wipe the learned conditions from the ECU over a radio issue. Maybe I'll try taking the radio fuse out and see if that will reset it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I get that, however, I don't like the idea of having to wipe the learned conditions from the ECU over a radio issue. Maybe I'll try taking the radio fuse out and see if that will reset it.
I find this curious. Has Subaru confirmed on this ECU that simply resetting power to it will cause it to wipe it to factory settings? I could see how that use to be the case, but non-volatile memory has come a long way and is used more often across the board. It would have to be a conscious design decision at this point to implement it to wipe/reset that way.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not factory settings for the head unit or settings for through the way the keys or adaptive cruise works. I'm talking about the learning the ECU does for fuel mapping etc. It's not the end of the world but would be nice to do something to reset the amp (assuming it will be the fix) separate from the ECU would be nice.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not factory settings for the head unit or settings for through the way the keys or adaptive cruise works. I'm talking about the learning the ECU does for fuel mapping etc. It's not the end of the world but would be nice to do something to reset the amp (assuming it will be the fix) separate from the ECU would be nice.
No I know you meant the ECU.

If you pull the fuse to the radio, leave it out for several minutes. Typically radios have bigger caps on the input filter so those will need to disipate, without shorting the pwr to gnd you need to give it time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you tried rebooting the HU (holding down the vol knob for 7 secs)?
I'll try that tonight. Haven't had time with the car yet. I held it down for a while the other day but will try a full 7.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed

I was able to unplug both cables to the amp under the passenger seat.

FYI if you need to do it you will need to unplug the one closest to the door first, then use a stubby flat head screw driver to unplug the one towards the center of the car.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sound quit working on my Touring this morning. I turned the radio off and on a couple of times, tried music thru the apple system and Amazon app from my phone, restarted the car twice and nothing. Drove it to next stop with no sound. It finally came back on after a 15 minute stop. The sound has blinked out a few times but never just quit. Any solution? I really don’t want to have radio system problems on another new Subaru.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This happened on my touring. No radio sounds, only sxm (as far I can Remember)

Luckily I was on way to dealer to replace broken 3rd seat belt clip.

Dealer documented issue, sent report to Subaru.

When I restarted car, sound came back.

Has not happened again yet.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts