Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, is there (or can you turn on) an audible alarm for when the blindside detector goes on and you try to change lanes? The solid light on the side mirrors turn on, and I think they blink when you turn on your blinker while there is a car approaching. But there’s no audible alert as far as I can tell. However, the cross traffic alert sounds when you’re in reverse, so I know an audible alert is possible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Does anyone know, is there (or can you turn on) an audible alarm for when the blindside detector goes on and you try to change lanes? The solid light on the side mirrors turn on, and I think they blink when you turn on your blinker while there is a car approaching. But there’s no audible alert as far as I can tell. However, the cross traffic alert sounds when you’re in reverse, so I know an audible alert is possible. Any ideas?
Nope, no audible alert available. The assumption is you are looking at the mirror as you prepare to look over your shoulder to take notice of the flashing warning light, so no audible alarm is needed. Besides, there are so many alerts already being provided to the driver I personally wouldn't want another one. This is, in my opinion, just one more thing to get use to when driving a Subaru since this feature is identical to all Subaru models.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I hope they absolutely positively NEVER add an audible alarm. People need to check their blind spot and mirror.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Our Ofyssey has the audible alarm and the light. I am definitely a fan of the audible alarm. There has been occasion when I was not 100% attentive and the audible alarm saved my butt.

·
Registered
965 Posts
We were told at a training class that the Subaru engineers deliberately chose NOT to put an audible alarm on our blind spot detectors.

The problem is simple - if you're in traffic in anything that vaguely resembles a medium to large city, you're going to have the darned thing beeping at you continuously.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hope they absolutely positively NEVER add an audible alarm. People need to check their blind spot and mirror.
Convenience eliminates safety. Also law suits for another device that fails will prevail as the person will not therefore take accountability for 'participating' in the complexity of driving.

This is where you take an Uber, instead of driving...

·
Registered
559 Posts
We were told at a training class that the Subaru engineers deliberately chose NOT to put an audible alarm on our blind spot detectors.

The problem is simple - if you're in traffic in anything that vaguely resembles a medium to large city, you're going to have the darned thing beeping at you continuously.
Or they could have done what Honda did - audible alarm beeps only when the turn signal is engaged. It works beautifully in our Odyssey.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I may not be remembering correctly, or perhaps it’s because I’m a crazy driver and this doesn’t happen to anyone else, but I could *swear* there is an audible alarm. For that to happen I believe you need to:

- have a car in the lane next to you or close to next to you (obviously) - light on your side mirror will be lit
- put on your turn signal - light on your side mirror will start flashing quickly to warn you at this point
- start moving your steering wheel to move over - audible beeping starts at this point. This is also the point my wife starts yelling at me.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Different audible alert...

I may not be remembering correctly, or perhaps it’s because I’m a crazy driver and this doesn’t happen to anyone else, but I could *swear* there is an audible alarm. For that to happen I believe you need to:

- have a car in the lane next to you or close to next to you (obviously) - light on your side mirror will be lit
- put on your turn signal - light on your side mirror will start flashing quickly to warn you at this point
- start moving your steering wheel to move over - audible beeping starts at this point. This is also the point my wife starts yelling at me.
Alas, there is no audible alarm, for which, I am grateful, because, as I think we'll see in an upcoming study I've been hearing about, people are becoming less likely to check their blind spot.

Anyway, what I think you heard was you changing lanes at the time you signaled. If you do not Signal->Pause->Change lanes, you will get a lane departure warning. So, signaling and changing lanes at the same time will cause an audible alert, but not because of traffic in your blind spot.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I haven't seen it in the setting, so no. I think it would drive me nuts. It's already bad as it with the light blinking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts