Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other instances of this happening but on the thread below another user mentioned it, so perhaps it's a problem outside of my own Win10/Firefox browser.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/109-subaru-ascent-owners-registry-check-area/3671-alert-cwp-touring-wild.html

In the first post of this thread the first image is named ".jpg" and when clicked on it opens correctly in a popup window.

When the "Next" button is clicked to view either #2 or #3, whose names are ".jpeg", the popup window shows a spinning wheel and it eventually displays a truncated image as in the attachment shown. The same applies to just clicking directly on image #2 or #3, i.e. not using the "Next/Previous" buttons.

However, if I open the image directly in a new tab, instead of the popup, the image does display correctly, for example:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3435&d=1536180820

In other forum threads where this occurs I've also seen the same naming difference, the first OK one being .jpg and the next "bad" ones being .jpeg.

I don't know whether or not this is the poster's naming convention or it's something to do with the way the database names multiple attached images or perhaps with the image popup code.

Thx for checking on this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m using Safari under IOS 11.4.1 and only get about one-third of the photo if I open it in a new tab. And I get nothing but the spinning wheel window too if I just click on the thumbnail. I have also experienced this on other posts as well. I hope this can be fixed.

Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
I'm wondering if the last two files are too big?
they're about double the size of the first one.

Lee
I've seen this problem plenty of times, it's typically because there's an AD trying to play/pop-up on the attachment. So if you have a pop-up blocker, it sometimes won't let you open attachments to look at.

I understand that the site generates revenue, but perhaps you guys can rethink this strategy?

·
Administrator
226 Posts
Hi there,

I gave this a test without any blocker and the images still didn't show up.
I believe it is what Lee is assuming on the image dimensions.
Is this only happening on jpeg images?

Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I disabled my ad-blocker and the last two images in the thread mentioned still don't open in the popup window.

fwiw the pop-up window on the problem images resizes itself twice, the first time what would seem a larger but correct aspect ratio, then it resizes to a distorted aspect ratio, then finally the truncated short title-only size as shown above.

Once I've opened the image and it loads correctly (by right-clicking on it to open it in a new browser tab as opposed to in the popup window) then the popup window does work for that image until I've closed all browser windows. When I open the page again then the same error occurs.
Perhaps we can ask the OP whether images 2+3 were created in a different device or manipulated in any way prior to uploading here -- although with their new CWP they could be justifiably distracted for a while :) I'll ask in the original thread and perhaps they can reply here.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My pictures

So it seems to be my pictures of concern! I have no clue why they are not loading. All 3 was taken with my iPhone, not zoomed, and just uploaded via my iPhone X. I can see all 3 when i look at the post, however when I click on it to make the last 2 bigger it just spins and says cant upload image. I’m so sorry! We are on vacation and I hadn’t paid that much attention to just now. Since I can see them, I’m not sure how to fix it??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think @FoRealz nailed it, it's the way different browsers handle pop-up windows combined with ad handling.

I tried in Chrome, still had problems but I do have an ad-blocker there, so disabled it and still had a problem.

Then I even tried IE as a last ditch and bingo, the picture loaded as did the little "mini-ad-overlay" on top of #2 and #3.
I've never seen those overlays anywhere, so my settings must have blocked them but the browser still weren't able to display the images.
For those who haven't seen these overlays, this is what I'm meaning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Snowgirl, motor on back to your holiday, it's your first CWP holiday :)))) -- I don't think it's your images that are the cause of the difficulty, it's the forum's popup + ad overlays.

Thx for looking in here --

·
Administrator
226 Posts
I've seen this problem plenty of times, it's typically because there's an AD trying to play/pop-up on the attachment. So if you have a pop-up blocker, it sometimes won't let you open attachments to look at.

I understand that the site generates revenue, but perhaps you guys can rethink this strategy?
you should only get an ad IF you're not logged in.

lee

·
Registered
493 Posts
you should only get an ad IF you're not logged in.

lee
As Jazzy mentioned above, and as I've also experienced, there's ads even if logged in.
Wait... you're saying if we're logged in we shouldn't see ads??! I see these ads 24/7 and I'm always logged in.

They are so annoying on a mobile device too, which usually is 90% of the time for me. As I'm scrolling through the threads they pop up/appear between the threads and then disappear as I'm scrolling past it and it causes the threads to jump (snap) up and down the page. Sort of like a herky jerky scroll, it's sooo frustrating!

I get it too, membership is free so you gotta make revenue somehow (using these ads) but is there a better way to show these things? Like only small ads at the bottom or top like apps, or maybe permanent spots between the threads so it doesn't appear/disappear and snap the threads back and forth??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a reminder for those who have this problem and are on a traditional keyboard, I can view the full image, without the ad, if I open the image in a new browser tab.

I use Firefox with an add-on that lets me use a right-click to open a link in a new tab, so with problem images I can right-click on the image and it will open a new tab with a full browser-window-size image, which I often prefer over just the smaller pop-up window-sized image.

I just tried it in IE where I don't have an ad blocker or the add-on utility and a long-right-press brings up the context menu from where you can choose "open image in a new tab". It will open without the ad because the ad is "produced" by the pop-up, not the image itself.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Still can't images to load, mobile or desktop. Part of the reason I stopped posted. Can't see anything. See plenty of ads, but no pictures. Had to repost my pictures in a prior thread

·
Administrator
226 Posts
Still can't images to load, mobile or desktop. Part of the reason I stopped posted. Can't see anything. See plenty of ads, but no pictures. Had to repost my pictures in a prior thread
Can you remind me what device, operating system, and browser you are using to upload your images?

- Cricket

1 - 18 of 18 Posts