Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally changed out my tired Falkens for the Nitto Ridge Grappler in 255/55R18 size. What a great change. Looks great and very aggressive tread, yet still quiet on the highway (quieter than my Falkens actually!).

It's been raining here in Phoenix so after 30mins of owning them, they saw their first mud usage. There's open desert right across from my office with short 4x4 trails in it. Great grip even in the slippery stuff and they evacuated the mud quickly. In fact going back onto the road through gravel I had nothing kicking out. (Full Disclosure - my mud is more sandy mud and not the clay/sticky kind)

The size is 0.4" taller, so I get 0.2" more ground clearance. I did actually notice as going through one of the big ruts I usually scrape the front bumper slightly, but this time went right through.

First pic is the original Falkens before I took them off. Then 1 matching pic of the new tires right after they were put on and several more after the trip through the mud!

Love them!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,837 Posts
They look and sound like nice tires. Since you up-sized your tires, don't forget you'll need to do the same for your spare to avoid damage to your drivetrain...or run without a spare. Spare needs to be the same diameter for 4WD and AWD vehicles. If I recall, you also tow, so the spare should be rated the same as your regular tires, too. It can be narrower, but should have the same load capacities.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same Tires with about 9,000 miles on them. They wear well so far and are relatively quiet at highway speed.I have rotated them twice so far. Every 6,000 miles with Subaru 6,000/12,000 and every 6,000 miles with Discount Tires 3,000/9000, who are also wonderful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This doesn't matter anymore now that you've already replaced your Falkens, but did somebody mount them on the wheels the wrong way? "Inside" should've been on the inside of the car for this kind of asymmetrical tread pattern to work optimally.

Nice new tires BTW (y)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look and sound like nice tires. Since you up-sized your tires, don't forget you'll need to do the same for your spare to avoid damage to your drivetrain...or run without a spare. Spare needs to be the same diameter for 4WD and AWD vehicles. If I recall, you also tow, so the spare should be rated the same as your regular tires, too. It can be narrower, but should have the same load capacities.
Good point on the spare... will have to think about what I want to do about that! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts