Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've chased a number of threads that hit on this subject but they ultimately end up talking about something else and never really answer the question. I'm sorry if I missed the answer in another thread.

Can my Ascent connect to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot? When I go into Wi-Fi settings, the AT&T network does not show up as a network I can connect to. When I use my phone, I can see the AT&T network.

What I'm trying to do is use the AT&T connection rather than the car having to use Bluetooth or a direct USB connection to the data plan on my phone. I mostly use Google maps and Pandora and it would seem like a no brainer to be able to connect it to the AT&T data plan.

So, are the settings to do this somewhere other than in Wi-Fi settings? Does the system automatically connect to the Wi-Fi without the need to set it up? Help is appreciated!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I've been told your Ascent's wifi connection for updating should not be connected to your AT&T hotspot. Some few people have managed to make it happen, but, I suspect they fixed the bug/loophole.

To resolve the things you are trying to do, you would connect your phone to the car's hotspot. You would not connect the car to the car's hotspot, nor would you connect the car to your phone's hotspot. The bluetooth connection of your phone (to the head unit) will not use your phone's cellular data.

• Wi-Fi/Wi-Fi Settings->Connect to your HOME router (if in range)
    This will be used by the car to check for updates, as well as to allow you to update map regions if you have built in Navigation. This is NOT used by your phone, nor does it use your phone's data connection (unless you connect this to your phone instead of your home router, which you generally should not do).
  • Wi-Fi Hotspot (different thing)->Set up (name, password)->Connect your phone via WiFi TO it.
    This is used to provide wifi to in car devices (your phones, tablets, etc), and uses the AT&T data plan that you need to subscribe to.

·
Registered
684 Posts
if you have data plan in your car (ATT Wi-Fi Hotspot ~$20 unlimited) , your phone data is limited ... , you CAN connect your phone to car Hotspot and use car data for apps like (Waze google video streaming WIFI calling etc)

P.S. i have to say i am 99% sure i don't understand original post ...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
The head unit doesn't use WiFI to connect to your phone; only Bluetooth or AndroidAuto/CarPlay are supported for that.

The head unit can use WiFI to connect to your home Internet service or your mobile device's HotSpot for the limited things that are done that way...firmware updates on occasion.

I do not believe that the head unit can connect to its own HotSpot (ATT with subscription), but I have no way to test that as I don't use the hotspot capability.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
I read the OP's post completely differently. I thought he wants to connect to AT&T's PUBLIC WiFi (like Comcast, Spectrum public WiFi you connect to in hotels, shopping centers etc). In which case the answer might be yes, if he has an existing subscription to the AT&T public WiFi.

Ie, on my street I can see CableWiFi (Spectrum's public WiFi) and I can connect to it because I have a Spectrum Cable TV account which includes nationwide WiFi access. I haven't tried to connect the Ascent to Spectrum but I'm sure that I could if I wanted to since I have an account.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Not sure what the benefit would be to that, of course...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I've chased a number of threads that hit on this subject but they ultimately end up talking about something else and never really answer the question. I'm sorry if I missed the answer in another thread.

Can my Ascent connect to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot? When I go into Wi-Fi settings, the AT&T network does not show up as a network I can connect to. When I use my phone, I can see the AT&T network.

What I'm trying to do is use the AT&T connection rather than the car having to use Bluetooth or a direct USB connection to the data plan on my phone. I mostly use Google maps and Pandora and it would seem like a no brainer to be able to connect it to the AT&T data plan.

So, are the settings to do this somewhere other than in Wi-Fi settings? Does the system automatically connect to the Wi-Fi without the need to set it up? Help is appreciated!
Your Accent has 2 types of WiFi connections, internal and external with corresponding menu items, WiFi (External) and WiFi Hotspot (Internal) and it is easy to get them confused:

1. WiFi - It ( the car) can connect it's head unit to an external WiFi network for the purpose of doing software and map updates only. This type of connection can't be used for entertainment so no maps or Pandora. I've never tried to use a public hotspot, only my home network and my phone's hotspot and obviously you have to be parked while the updates are downloading. You will have to go into your WiFi Settings to pick a network and enter the password. It seems like someone had a problem a while back connecting to a private network that didn't have a password so maybe Public hotspots wouldn't work. Again this is only for software and map data updates.

2. WiFi (Internal) Hotspot - The car can act as a WiFi hotspot for devices like phones and tablets in the car but only through a subscription to AT&T's celluar data plan. The Accent then works just like your home WiFi allowing devices to connect and access Internet services like maps or Pandora.

If you are already an AT&T cellular customer you can add your Ascent to your plan as another phone, when we did that while traveling it cost $10 a month. I believe it's $20 for everyone else for unlimited data.

I hope that this helps to clarify.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I am not exactly sure of your question. I have the AT&T hotspot enabled for my Subaru. I have a password set for it. I work on my computer from my car a lot. I use my cars wifi hotspot. It will auto connect since I already have the wifi account name and password set on my computer. The only time it will not connect automatically is if you don't have the password.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.