Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AT oil temp light is flashing when I start my 2019 Ascent. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you were driving, I would think transmission slip. The light went on when my transmission was slipping. However, you would also hear a loud squealing noise if it was the transmission slipping. So maybe a faulty sensor or wire harness???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for suggestion Robert. Car is parked in the garage when at oil temp light comes on. Engine is cold. Do you know where I would find sensor or harness I could check?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sorry I don’t know its location. Could take a quick look at all wires going to the transmission and make sure one was not accidentally snagged. Or take it to the dealer and have them look for any codes.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Perhaps you can give us a bit more background on your Ascent... was it a salvage? Is the BCM intact? You're having a few issues that point to some sort of electrical damage or serious codes being logged (such as due to an accident).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My AT oil temp light is flashing when I start my 2019 Ascent. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
The AT Oil temp light/Check Engine came on while driving around 35MPH all driver aids disabled(Eyesight, RAB....). P0962 on OBD, Transmission slipping around [email protected], Ascent Premium 15K miles

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
The AT Oil temp light/Check Engine came on while driving around 35MPH all driver aids disabled(Eyesight, RAB....). P0962 on OBD, Transmission slipping around [email protected], Ascent Premium 15K miles
Bring it in for service. They will likely be replacing the CVT harness, and the CVT the harness damaged.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Yes, WUV07 was completed on 22-Jan-2020 as per service record
Had it slipped or acted up or thrown a code before then?

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
No, has been smooth thus far. Yesterday after going around 50 miles on the interstate was going down a street at 35 when the Dashboard warning lights started going crazy.
Do you know if they do the stall test?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know if they do the stall test?
Not sure if they ran the stall test. Took it to service yesterday, transmission fluid had burnt odor and confirmation that new transmission is required. Dealership mentioned that they noticed similar code and characteristics on a 2019 crosstrek in May, first time in Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Not sure if they ran the stall test. Took it to service yesterday, transmission fluid had burnt odor and confirmation that new transmission is required. Dealership mentioned that they noticed similar code and characteristics on a 2019 crosstrek in May, first time in Ascent.
If they skipped the stall test (I've seen it happen way more than I like - it should never happen), then, they missed the "failure under full load" test and wouldn't necessarily cause the harness to fail the tests.

Alas, that means if the harness flakes during driving while towing, it will throw the code you noted, and, that will cause the fluid to burn when the chain slips. It's also possible that the solenoid actually is bad, which will result in the same thing.

Either way, it's good to know they're replacing it. That's the next step. It will come with a new harness as well as the CVT.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Still wondering what the recall TCU update accomplishes. Throwing an error code is good, but the transmission slipping is quite evident without it.

Due to the nature of the harness issue, it can deteriorate over time, so if the TCU update doesn't give sufficient warning of pending failure, or in some way mitigate it, it's still basically down to hoping that harness doesn't go bad for those with affected VINs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If they skipped the stall test (I've seen it happen way more than I like - it should never happen), then, they missed the "failure under full load" test and wouldn't necessarily cause the harness to fail the tests.

Alas, that means if the harness flakes during driving while towing, it will throw the code you noted, and, that will cause the fluid to burn when the chain slips. It's also possible that the solenoid actually is bad, which will result in the same thing.

Either way, it's good to know they're replacing it. That's the next step. It will come with a new harness as well as the CVT.
Got the ascent back, very confusing. Now the issue isolated to valve body, they tested and noticed an open circuit. Dealer says local master Technician and SOA expert recommended this. Transmission harness replaced but not the transmission. Enclosed the invoice details

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Got the ascent back, very confusing. Now the issue isolated to valve body, they tested and noticed an open circuit. Dealer says local master Technician and SOA expert recommended this. Transmission harness replaced but not the transmission. Enclosed the invoice details
That's quite possible. They replaced the valve body. Second one I've seen on the Ascent. I've seen others over the years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts