Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I piggybacked a little on some other threads about my issue, but figured it was time to start my own thread. I REALLY don't want to complain as we love the vehicle it's been fantastic... but with only ~5,000 miles I didn't expect a brand new vehicle to be sitting at a dealership service center for over 2 weeks now. :(

Here's the summary:

1/12/19 - After dinner out and in sub freezing temperatures car was started after 1.5 hours of being off. Immediately had "AT Oil Temp" light which per manual indicates the transmission oil temperature has exceeded specs and car should be left idle or shut off to cool down and that if the light stayed on flashing take to dealership to be serviced immediately. As luck would have it we were about 1/2 mile from dealership. I'll spare everyone the events that unfolded there, but being told to go down the street to get a rental car did not get things off to a very good start. Half hour later we were able to get a suitable loner until they could look at it on Monday.

1/14/19 - I called after not hearing anything and they said the codes did indicate a transmission temperature problem, but were cleared and did not return on test drive. Tech did not notice any irregularities or issues with the test drive (I agree, has only been the light which disables the electronics on the car, which is basically everything). Picked it back up that day.

1/17/19 - Wife goes to lunch and the AT OIL Temp light with associated Check Engine light comes back on. I leave work swap vehicles and take it back to the dealership. They weren't sure when they could look at it and didn't have a loaner available. Ok shuttle me back to work I'll figure something out later as I'm not driving it while it's throwing check engine lights. Forty-five minutes later dealership calls me back and says the codes they are pulling are not familiar so they called Subaru Corp. and were told they wanted a regional Subaru tech to inspect after pulling the transmission pan as it's not something they have seen (not sure if that meant the dealership or Subaru Corp). They sent a shuttle out to get me back at work and put me in the same loaner I had before. Perfectly acceptable.

1/25/19 - As I had not heard anything I called to check on what was going on. They said they were waiting for the field tech to come and look at it. Well it's been over a week I thought that's what was supposed to happen the last 8 days. Nope he hasn't come yet so we can't do anything.

2/1/19 - Another week goes by and I haven't heard anything at all. Called this morning to check as it's now been sitting there for over two weeks and told basically the same thing. They cleared codes but they came right back on. Subaru Crop is involved and needs pictures of transmission and sensor and will need to pull the transmission pan again, but it has to be done by the Subaru Field Tech.

After I hung up with dealership I called Subaru Corp to start a case. They were very good and put me on hold while they called to talk with the Service Manager. They were able to make contact and then re-iterated the same thing. Waiting for the closest field tech to come look at it and that individual is 60 miles away. Service Manager said he'd try to call the field tech today to schedule a time for them to come inspect. Subaru Corp Rep said they would call me back today or on Monday at the latest after finding out if an appointment could be scheduled or not.

Service department hasn't been "bad" I guess they can only do so much. Communication has been poor they have literally not called me once in 2 weeks. I feel that will change now that I have a case with Subaru Corp.

So part of this is venting and part of this is what should I expect going forward? If it's just a sensor out of spec throwing false positive error codes should that take over 2 weeks to diagnose and fix? Our first Subaru vehicle and we purchased for safety and reliability. I understand it's a new vehicle platform and we were likely to encounter some issues here and there. I believe Subaru will make it right if there are bigger problems I just wasn't planning on being out our vehicle for this long.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not being a mechanic, I wonder why the codes aren’t enough to diagnose and fix the problem? Why do field reps need to be involved other than for support to the local mechanic? In all the vehicles I’ve owned, I’ve never had a problem under warranty take so long as what Subaru seems to be doing to the Ascent Owners. When one of my kids was in college away from home, the transmission went out on the Mazda. Took it to the local college dealer, got a new free transmission, no issues, no delays. Come on Subaru, you are supposed to be better than this. If I keep seeing reports like this, the Ascent will be my first and last Subaru.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don’t even get me started... hahaha!

Field Service Engineer is the devil! Haha!

Seriously though, I feel ya pain and we are in the same situation. Awaiting SOA to make a decision, I miss my car! However our dealership has been great, they even initiated our case with SOA so we got a senior representative automatically! Hope you get answers soon!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm feeling your pain right now actually. Been exactly a week, they are pretty good at calling me but no fix in sight. check eng light, all eye-sight features turned off. But I hear that's normal when the check engine light comes on, all the eyesight stuff does with it. Throttle position sensor is one of the codes they are getting on mine. No idea what's really going on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have updates, but hadn't had a chance to post.

2/1/19 - Got a call late in the day from the dealership (coincidence after speaking with Subaru Corp, I don't think so). They said they were able to have the tech call the regional engineer and they walked through it and figured out it was a bad/loose transmission wiring harness. The new harness will be in on Tuesday of next week so should be available for pickup Wednesday/Thursday.

2/2/19 - Loaner had temp tags so I went down to have them swapped out for regular plates. I was able to speak with the service manager while there which helped. I said it seemed like Subaru was painting you in the corner by requiring the Field Engineer to be onsite, but not getting him there. He said that whenever they spoke he was having them do all the regular testing which wasn't yielding any results while in the shop. Eventually the Field Engineer said he had seen on one other Ascent an issue with the transmission harness so check the connections on that. The dealer tech was able to replicate in shop by clearing codes, starting the vehicle, getting underneath and wiggling the harness. Every time the same codes would come back up. He said the replacement is kind of a pain because the harness is plugged in on the top of the transmission and they are hoping they don't have to drop the whole transmission to re-run the harness with all the sensors etc. He said they should be able to remove just the back mounts which would give them enough space to get up top and re-run the harness. If not they have to drop the transmission which requires the exhaust to be removed and it becomes a bit more involved. The Service Manager felt pretty confident that the harness was the issue because everything else on either end of the harness was within spec and working properly.

I'll report back if anything changes and hopefully when we have our vehicle back and working!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2/5/19 - Part should still be in today and will get the car back fixed up on Thursday at the latest. However, I wanted to post my experience with Subaru Corp Customer Service as I'm pretty speechless at their response. In a GOOD way! Yesterday I received email from customer service rep I had spoken with originally saying that the issue had been escalated to a senior rep and that individual would be calling me tomorrow (today). This morning I got a call from the senior CSR indicating that they had spoke with the service manager and the vehicle will be back to me no later than Thursday after having the issue with the transmission resolved. I indicated that I appreciated the call and really the only frustrating part was it seemed like the dealership was being told to wait for the Field Engineer and nothing was being done on the Subaru Corp end to schedule that appointment. Especially since it had been a total of 15 days with our car just sitting there waiting for the Field Service Engineer to inspect. She agreed and said it was 100% on the Subaru Corp end as there was a conference going on that had pulled most of the Field Engineers away for a period of time preventing them from making the appointment to look at my car. She said because you've been patient and the issue should have been resolved much quicker they were going to go ahead and add either the 8 year/120k mile Gold Warranty or the 10 year/100k mile Gold Warranty to my vin complimentary, my choice. I was astounded to say the least and that wasn't all. Also because the vehicle was such low mileage they were going to add the 36 month/45k mile maintenance plan and that I'd be receiving the contract for those plans in the next 4 weeks.

Wowzers!!!! THAT is how you respond to problems and take care of customers. Not at all was I expecting anything close to that and am obviously thrilled that's how they handled it. Our first Subaru and we do love the Ascent. If that's how hard they work to make sure new and existing customers stay happy they may have just converted me for life. I'll likely need a new truck before we need a new car, but you can bet everything you got that the next time we go car shopping it's going to be a pretty short list beginning with "S" and ending in "ubaru". :rockon:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great to hear!!! This is one reason why I stuck with Subaru - at the end of the day I really beleive a smaller company will stick by their customers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2/9/19 - We were supposed to get our Ascent back this past Thursday. That did not happen. No call. No nothing. I emailed Senior CSR this morning relaying that info. Thursday was three straight weeks without our vehicle. :dunno:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will just add this. If they need to “drop” your transmission, it may be easier than they think. I had my transmission replaced. The service advisor said that the mechanic reported what was supposed to be a 6 hour job only took him 2.5 hours and it was so slick, he could do the next one in 1.5 hours. When they get to yours, it should go quickly. Sounds like their communication of that may be unpredictable though...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2/11/19 - Senior CSR emailed me back asking if I had received a status update. Had not and indicated so. Emailed me back a little later and said I'd have my vehicle back on the 13th. I asked why the delay this time and we've now missed two deadlines so I'd like to have a reason to expect the 13th would actually happen. She wrote back and said they didn't get parts in time like they had planned (sounds like more SOA issues?) and when they did there were multiple technicians out. She again apologized profusely and asked me to send my monthly loan statement and they would reimburse me this month's car payment. Again... Wow. Not expecting that and they are far exceeding my expectations. We would still like our car back, but her handling it like she has definitely eases the pain significantly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had the exact same issue at 5k miles, and Subaru has told me that it is the Valve Body that needs replaced. I'm a little skeptical I'm not going to have this issue again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2/12/19 - Good news! Got the call that the car was ready to be picked up. So cleaned out the loaner, gassed it up, and headed to the dealership. They apologized for the long delay, but felt that everything should be take care of. Everything checked out with the harness replacement (they did have to drop the transmission completely). So nice to drive our car home; felt very good.

While the inconvenience was frustrating we did have a suitable loaner (2019 Outback) and SOA really stepped up to the bat to impress us with their handling of the delays. With quality customer service like that it makes it very difficult to come away feeling bad about the eventual outcome. I have the warranty/maintenance plans should anything arise, but my confidence is high that we should be able to travel this summer freely without issues.

Here's the final invoice with description to see exactly what they did in case anyone else runs into similar issues: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okw_JZ33Y6PVUFSqT0c6MWZOLTQL_aGt/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I piggybacked a little on some other threads about my issue, but figured it was time to start my own thread. I REALLY don't want to complain as we love the vehicle it's been fantastic... but with only ~5,000 miles I didn't expect a brand new vehicle to be sitting at a dealership service center for over 2 weeks now. :(

Here's the summary:

1/12/19 - After dinner out and in sub freezing temperatures car was started after 1.5 hours of being off. Immediately had "AT Oil Temp" light which per manual indicates the transmission oil temperature has exceeded specs and car should be left idle or shut off to cool down and that if the light stayed on flashing take to dealership to be serviced immediately. As luck would have it we were about 1/2 mile from dealership. I'll spare everyone the events that unfolded there, but being told to go down the street to get a rental car did not get things off to a very good start. Half hour later we were able to get a suitable loner until they could look at it on Monday.

1/14/19 - I called after not hearing anything and they said the codes did indicate a transmission temperature problem, but were cleared and did not return on test drive. Tech did not notice any irregularities or issues with the test drive (I agree, has only been the light which disables the electronics on the car, which is basically everything). Picked it back up that day.

1/17/19 - Wife goes to lunch and the AT OIL Temp light with associated Check Engine light comes back on. I leave work swap vehicles and take it back to the dealership. They weren't sure when they could look at it and didn't have a loaner available. Ok shuttle me back to work I'll figure something out later as I'm not driving it while it's throwing check engine lights. Forty-five minutes later dealership calls me back and says the codes they are pulling are not familiar so they called Subaru Corp. and were told they wanted a regional Subaru tech to inspect after pulling the transmission pan as it's not something they have seen (not sure if that meant the dealership or Subaru Corp). They sent a shuttle out to get me back at work and put me in the same loaner I had before. Perfectly acceptable.

1/25/19 - As I had not heard anything I called to check on what was going on. They said they were waiting for the field tech to come and look at it. Well it's been over a week I thought that's what was supposed to happen the last 8 days. Nope he hasn't come yet so we can't do anything.

2/1/19 - Another week goes by and I haven't heard anything at all. Called this morning to check as it's now been sitting there for over two weeks and told basically the same thing. They cleared codes but they came right back on. Subaru Crop is involved and needs pictures of transmission and sensor and will need to pull the transmission pan again, but it has to be done by the Subaru Field Tech.

After I hung up with dealership I called Subaru Corp to start a case. They were very good and put me on hold while they called to talk with the Service Manager. They were able to make contact and then re-iterated the same thing. Waiting for the closest field tech to come look at it and that individual is 60 miles away. Service Manager said he'd try to call the field tech today to schedule a time for them to come inspect. Subaru Corp Rep said they would call me back today or on Monday at the latest after finding out if an appointment could be scheduled or not.

Service department hasn't been "bad" I guess they can only do so much. Communication has been poor they have literally not called me once in 2 weeks. I feel that will change now that I have a case with Subaru Corp.

So part of this is venting and part of this is what should I expect going forward? If it's just a sensor out of spec throwing false positive error codes should that take over 2 weeks to diagnose and fix? Our first Subaru vehicle and we purchased for safety and reliability. I understand it's a new vehicle platform and we were likely to encounter some issues here and there. I believe Subaru will make it right if there are bigger problems I just wasn't planning on being out our vehicle for this long.
What was the issue? I am having the same problem with my Ascent with 6,000 miles on it. Is it safe to drive until my appointment?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What was the issue? I am having the same problem with my Ascent with 6,000 miles on it. Is it safe to drive until my appointment?
Transmission Wiring Harness. Seems to be something that keeps coming up and is resolved with new parts

I myself made it a point not to drive until the issue was resolved. If you have a brand new vehicle with 6,000 miles on it I don't feel it's unreasonable to not have to drive it with check engine lights and safety features disabled. A dealer provided loaner is a perfectly acceptable request.

See the invoice I included for details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okw_JZ33Y6PVUFSqT0c6MWZOLTQL_aGt/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transmission Wiring Harness. Seems to be something that keeps coming up and is resolved with new parts

I myself made it a point not to drive until the issue was resolved. If you have a brand new vehicle with 6,000 miles on it I don't feel it's unreasonable to not have to drive it with check engine lights and safety features disabled. A dealer provided loaner is a perfectly acceptable request.

See the invoice I included for details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okw_JZ33Y6PVUFSqT0c6MWZOLTQL_aGt/view?usp=sharing
Thank you. The dealer replaced the transmission sensor, and the problem came back within 24 hours. I did tell them I thought it was the transmission wiring harness as you indicated, however the sensor is what they thought would fix the issue. Hopefully I will get a loaner when I take it BACK in again on Monday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This same problem happened to me today. Started cold and AT temp flashed and now all safety features/eye sight disabled. ?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
^^^ Maybe you need VUU06?

Description
In some vehicles, the current software may cause the sub learning value control to operate improperly during the wake-up mode of the ECM. This could cause repeated erroneous learning of the accelerator position which can result in the disabling of the VDC function. When the VDC function is disabled, EyeSight, Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB), and Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) auto release functions are disabled by the VDC fail signal causing the VDC, EyeSight, RAB and EPB warning lamps to illuminate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.