Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
When we first got our CVT Outback we found it coasts a lot easier and doesn't have the natural "slow down" effect of a normal transmission. Once you hit the brakes I think the CVT changes to work more like a normal transmission and help slow you down but for fuel efficiency it'll coast until then.

My Ascent has worked the same way.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
12,430 Posts
When I am running a couple of tanks to beat EPA MPG ratings, I coast my block. I have two stop signs. I turn onto the block, hit 30mph, and coast to the first. Then I do the same to the second, and again to my house. It coasts really well.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Heh, when I used to live north of Phoenix I'd get gas "at the top of the hill" and basically coast down the 8 miles to work with very minimal throttle input. Registered 48mpg after the 8 miles one time (hit every green light). In my 2017 Outback I once got 64mpg that way!

·
Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
Heh, when I used to live north of Phoenix I'd get gas "at the top of the hill" and basically coast down the 8 miles to work with very minimal throttle input. Registered 48mpg after the 8 miles one time (hit every green light). In my 2017 Outback I once got 64mpg that way!
What’d you get going the other way?

·
Registered
951 Posts
What’d you get going the other way?
Lol, in my 2017 Outback if I kept my foot out of it and drove the speed limit, I'd get 32-34mpg. Once I bought a radar detector and went wild like a teenager, it dropped to 26mpg.

In the Ascent if I baby it, I could get 25mpg. But most times I enjoy the turbo and get 20mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.