Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 20 mph foot off gas Subie goes blocks without slowing down, its as if it had automatic cruse control. Shouldn't the car slow down when you take your foot off the gas?

·
Registered
913 Posts
When we first got our CVT Outback we found it coasts a lot easier and doesn't have the natural "slow down" effect of a normal transmission. Once you hit the brakes I think the CVT changes to work more like a normal transmission and help slow you down but for fuel efficiency it'll coast until then.

My Ascent has worked the same way.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
When I am running a couple of tanks to beat EPA MPG ratings, I coast my block. I have two stop signs. I turn onto the block, hit 30mph, and coast to the first. Then I do the same to the second, and again to my house. It coasts really well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Heh, when I used to live north of Phoenix I'd get gas "at the top of the hill" and basically coast down the 8 miles to work with very minimal throttle input. Registered 48mpg after the 8 miles one time (hit every green light). In my 2017 Outback I once got 64mpg that way!

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Heh, when I used to live north of Phoenix I'd get gas "at the top of the hill" and basically coast down the 8 miles to work with very minimal throttle input. Registered 48mpg after the 8 miles one time (hit every green light). In my 2017 Outback I once got 64mpg that way!
What’d you get going the other way?

·
Registered
913 Posts
What’d you get going the other way?
Lol, in my 2017 Outback if I kept my foot out of it and drove the speed limit, I'd get 32-34mpg. Once I bought a radar detector and went wild like a teenager, it dropped to 26mpg.

In the Ascent if I baby it, I could get 25mpg. But most times I enjoy the turbo and get 20mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts