Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleased that I found the Ascent Forum. Nothing like sharing experiences, complaints, and confusions. I've been involved with forums of each of the vehicles I've owned (Jeep, Xterra, Explorer, and Expedition) and have relied upon the experiences and knowledge of the members. Both the Mrs. and I are looking to off-road with our 2020 Ascent Limited and mods are being tallied up. Lifts, bumpers, winch, lights, and tires are all on the list. We had spent 4 months primitive camping with our Xterra and off-road tent trailer which fine tuned our "necessities" for vehicle mods. Our favorite phrase is "I wonder where that road goes?". The Ascent with it's torque shifting capability is like having lockers fore and aft. We're looking forward to our modding plans and will share our endeavors.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I hope to do a couple of weeks overlanding in the future. I've so far only spent days, which barely (if even) qualifies. Regardless, it's so much fun with the Ascent.

I'm planning on 100-200w of solar to finalize my current setup. I had planned a roof tent, but I am fine with car camping or setting up a regular tent.

I definitely suggest an OEM hitch and Rigid Armor's hitch mount spare tire carrier. It's not yet on their site, so, email them and tell them I sent you, if you decide to go this route.

Alternatively, I've used a roof rack to carry my full size spare.

Putting a full size spare underneath will be an issue on really crazy terrain, because it really hurts departure angle. You can see it hanging down in this pic. I did Moab, Badlands, Joshua Tree and a lot more like this, and it did snag a couple of times. Glad I kept it deflated like the manual says.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great pics. Thanks for the suggestion of Rigid Armour's hitch mount. I can't do the roof rack spare idea. Too old and inflexible to bring it down. Stellar Built does a swing out spare carrier and gas can rack that looks great. I pulled that from an Offroadium article about Ean Strickman's Ascent build. His build is along the path I plan. I don't plan on doing the wrap he did, but will do some protection from the "desert pinstriping". My Xterra had a lower body full wrap which saved the paint pretty much. Didn't save it when the teenager totaled it. Thanks again for the response and I'm jazzed about joining the group.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Someone in the FB group I help run has a nice Dometic that fits really well in the back. I am looking for other ideas as well. Non perishable from day two onwards gets boring, especially now that I have my solar on the way.

I'd love to follow along on your build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts