Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is a post already discussing VIP pricing and I’ll add my findings to that post in a moment but I wanted to ask a question to the group.

Via this forum I found a dealership, Ocean Subaru, that said they would honor the invoice minus 2% and I have an appt with them on Monday. When emailing a local dealer (within 10 minutes from me) to see if they would honor the discount in order to get a sale the internet sales manager got back to me and said the Ascent is excluded from preemptive internet discounts. She also said they will do their best to earn our business if we come in.

Is the VIP discount considered in internet discount? What are your thoughts if they won’t commit to the discount via email?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be considered an internet discount. That sounds like more special offerings from either the company or dealer via internet advertising. This is a program dedicated to recognizing volunteers, enthusiasts and philanthropists across the nation by providing vehicles at a no hassle discount price. From my discussions with the dealership in my city they welcome the program and the types of people it brings into the dealership. It helps establish a relationship that can be mutually beneficial to the parties and financially rewarding to the dealership.

In light of that, it should not be viewed as an internet discount. In fact, I would probably show them a list of all the dealerships nearby that DO accept the discount and say "Hey, check this out...all these people are doing it for very good reasons so you should do so too!"

Also check out these two posts:
1. https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...-purchasing/2731-vip-order-beginning-end.html
2. https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...o-accepts-subaru-vip-pricing-master-list.html

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know that there is a post already discussing VIP pricing and I’ll add my findings to that post in a moment but I wanted to ask a question to the group.

Via this forum I found a dealership, Ocean Subaru, that said they would honor the invoice minus 2% and I have an appt with them on Monday. When emailing a local dealer (within 10 minutes from me) to see if they would honor the discount in order to get a sale the internet sales manager got back to me and said the Ascent is excluded from preemptive internet discounts. She also said they will do their best to earn our business if we come in.

Is the VIP discount considered in internet discount? What are your thoughts if they won’t commit to the discount via email?

Thanks in advance!
I would avoid the local dealer...They are not being honest & upfront with you, in my opinion...My understanding is the Ascent is not excluded and the dealer can “choose “ to honor VIP Pricing or not honor VIP Pricing.....Her comment is just a ruse to get you in their dealership....Avoid them....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would avoid the local dealer...They are not being honest & upfront with you, in my opinion...My understanding is the Ascent is not excluded and the dealer can “choose “ to honor VIP Pricing or not honor VIP Pricing.....Her comment is just a ruse to get you in their dealership....Avoid them....
I agree completely with Guero. They want to lure you into the dealership to put their spell upon you. Good dealers are upfront about their pricing and the internet is where most dealers share their pricing. Avoid that dealer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes ditto the above. The program is a Subaru of America sponsored program... BUT there is a lot of discretion that is left to the individual dealerships. The dealer can decide not to participate (and that’s perfectly within their right), but to say that the Ascent is excluded is plain wrong and deceptive. It actually specifies which cars are excluded on the VIP voucher (mostly STI and BRZ models).

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the advice, I’ll be reaching out to the dealer who said they would do it and see if we can work out details over the phone/email or if he really needs me to make the drive. Either way hopefully all works out, I’ll keep you all posted!

Thank you all again!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree completely with Guero. They want to lure you into the dealership to put their spell upon you. Good dealers are upfront about their pricing and the internet is where most dealers share their pricing. Avoid that dealer.
More than likely they want their salesmen to make some money, honestly. Invoice less 2% spells quite a dismal commission on a 45k vehicle that -will- sell for a front end profit right now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just be honest

More than likely they want their salesmen to make some money, honestly. Invoice less 2% spells quite a dismal commission on a 45k vehicle that -will- sell for a front end profit right now.
I am sure they do...And if they don’t want to sell at the VIP that is their right...I can respect that....Just be honest with customers and don’t lie ....
McKenna Subaru told me there is intense demand for the Ascent & “all” dealers are selling at MSRP and they can sell them all at MSRP......
Obviously not true but that is what they said.....I purchased at another local dealer for the VIP price....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am sure they do...And if they don’t want to sell at the VIP that is their right...I can respect that....Just be honest with customers and don’t lie ....
McKenna Subaru told me there is intense demand for the Ascent & “all” dealers are selling at MSRP and they can sell them all at MSRP......
Obviously not true but that is what they said.....I purchased at another local dealer for the VIP price....
From what I've heard/read on the forums, McKenna Subaru are not all that good to deal with.

If I were OP, I'd look out of state for a good deal or a bit further than the closest one

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Just curious, is this Ocean Subaru in Fullerton? I'm asking because I have one on order with an ETA of mid September. When i ordered, the GM said no problem and signed off on my VIP Loyalty pricing. What concerns me now is that this dealership now has all new management and the guy who signed off is no longer there. I'm worried they won't honor the pricing that was given to me and signed for by the previous GM. Ugh. Dealers...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks in advance!
Just curious, is this Ocean Subaru in Fullerton? I'm asking because I have one on order with an ETA of mid September. When i ordered, the GM said no problem and signed off on my VIP Loyalty pricing. What concerns me now is that this dealership now has all new management and the guy who signed off is no longer there. I'm worried they won't honor the pricing that was given to me and signed for by the previous GM. Ugh. Dealers...
Yup, same dealer that I’ve been working with. I too have/had the same concerns so I tried to do everything via text or email while I was working with Albert. It took a bit of doing but I do have communication from them saying they would accept the discount so I can always refer back to that and if they won’t do it I’ll walk and reach out to SOA VIP and see if they can do anything.

Since your Ascent is supposed to come in this month please let me know how it works out for you!

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve been talking with another dealership (DCH in Riverside) and the GM reached out via one of their blanket “how can we help you since you haven’t purchased a car yet emails” so I responded and asked about the VIP discount and got what I was hoping was a positive response that they would. After trading a few emails with a sales person (they responsed on behalf of the GM) they said the program was very easy to work with and the program only had a few restrictions but that the dealer could opt out (which is their right) and that the Ascent doesn’t have discounts but I should still come in and they would be willing to negotiate a deal.
I asked for a commitment to pricing before I have to make the 90 minute drive (without traffic) but since they can’t commit on pricing I declined. I’m not in a rush to get one and am willing to wait to save a descent amount of money even if it meant getting a vehicle today.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Avoid McKenna

Yup, same dealer that I’ve been working with. I too have/had the same concerns so I tried to do everything via text or email while I was working with Albert. It took a bit of doing but I do have communication from them saying they would accept the discount so I can always refer back to that and if they won’t do it I’ll walk and reach out to SOA VIP and see if they can do anything.

Since your Ascent is supposed to come in this month please let me know how it works out for you!

Good luck!
I had what I thought was a deal (ETA July) for VIP pricing(with old management) with McKenna Subaru but the new GM, Peter Lu ,reneged on the deal, the day before my car was delivered:tango_face_surprise....He thought he could sell every Ascent he could get at MSRP...(could be right)....That is what they told me....
I complained to SOA & SOA VIP but they couldn’t help.SOA took a complaint about McKenna....etc.
I ordered another Ascent a few days later at VIP Pricing from a different local dealer ...ETA September....
Subaru has lots of honest, ethical dealers....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts