Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Ascent is an all new model I was wondering what improvements has Subaru made to them as more are being built. For example, I would think that they improved their welding procedures or QC to make sure no others ever go out with the same welding issue that caused a small recall. Does anyone know of any?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When they began shipping the Ascent to customers in July and August, there were some issues about welding. Since August, I haven't heard about the welding issue being resurfaced yet. There's an implication that they must have tightened some of their control points (QC) to assure their quality intents (QA). w/ the limited info given, they have demonstrated continuous improvement (ie Kaizen) in their process.

If there are no concrete data to demonstrate the Kaizen, perhaps these level assessment will be the best for the public.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
QC is what saved the day.

For example, I would think that they improved their welding procedures or QC to make sure no others ever go out with the same welding issue that caused a small recall. Does anyone know of any?
There was no welding issue, though an error in a program installed during maintenance caused the robot to miscount. Their QC allowed them to very quickly identify the issue and correct it, only affecting 293 cars (all had proper welds, but the robot mis-"counted" the welds it made). In total, it was a couple day's worth of production affected, and once the mistake was detected, their "recall" and stop sale was issued in hours. :tango_face_wink:

THAT was what was so impressive. One of the guys found the error, and, before digging to figure out if vehicles were actually affected or not, they had a "recall" and stop sale issued in just hours.

But yes, there are always minor improvements and changes made along the way, such as to the hitch, where there have been two updates to it to make it easier to install properly by the port installers and dealerships.

·
Registered
646 Posts
FWIW no cars "came out" with any weld issue and no cars were affected by the voluntary "recall". It wasn't a true recall as no cars ever made it to customers and the perceived issue was not actually even an issue.

Twice now @Robert.Mauro has beaten me to the punch this morning. Off for more coffee.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Lmao!!

FWIW no cars "came out" with any weld issue and no cars were affected by the voluntary "recall". It wasn't a true recall as no cars ever made it to customers and the perceived issue was not actually even an issue.

Twice now @Robert.Mauro has beaten me to the punch this morning. Off for more coffee.
Great, gotta go get my second cup so I can keep up! :grin: :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like the weld count / robot issue has been blown out of proportion and I am glad to hear it has been taken car of impressively by Subaru. Sorry for the bad example.

I am a bit shy of buying a new car model in the first year of production and I am sure others are too. But I went and test drove the Ascent and well... I must have one!! I assume that the first year car will go much smoother these days than in the 90s where I had a bad experience (not a Subaru).

From browsing this forum I see relatively few issues with the Ascent. Yes there will always be some folks that will never be happy so I greatly discount them. I have an Ascent on the way and I know that there would have been improvements to the one coming off the line today as apposed to serial number "1" but I don't see much out there on what has changed if anything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Carl can definitely make a better comment but the only "improvements" I would assume to happen would just be in the building/assembly process not anything to do physically with car parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.