Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed some posters occasionally expressing the position that the "Ascent's towing spec limit is 5000/500 and gosh darn it, that's what I'm going to tow".

I tend to believe that the 500# tongue limit needs to be respected and regarded as an absolute maximum (keeping in mind the passenger/cargo weight will potentially reduce the tongue weight maximum.

I believe the 5000# tow limit however should be explained further, whether by the dealers or the owner's manual. 5000#'s isn't always 5000#'s because of coefficient of drag of the trailer. There's a huge difference between a 5000# square-fronted travel trailer and a 5000# utility trailer loaded with bricks and a 5000# boat. I haven't towed my 4000#+ boat with the Ascent enough to check fuel mileage, but 2 previous SUV's only took a 1-3 mpg hit towing the boat. But, towing a lightly loaded (filled with bulky but light aluminium patio furniture) uhaul 16' box trailer cut the mpg by more than half. Clearly, the drive train "saw" the box trailer as a much greater load than the heavier boat because of wind resistance.

I haven't towed a travel trailer with the Ascent but would like to in the future. My goal is to try to find not only a safe underweight trailer but also the smallest frontal area that has the features we'll need. If we can't find one we'll go another direction like buying a pickup or going with a B or C class.

Safety and reliability first.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW: Aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the speed. Power required due to air drag goes as the cube of the speed. Going 60 mph instead of 55 will increase the power needed to overcome aerodynamic drag 30%. Going 70 mph requires double the power of 55 mph.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I agree, Titan. Specifications are the absolute limits and they need to be respected. In many cases, it's a "really good idea" to stay 15-20% below them, depending on the situation. The point about aerodynamic drag is also well to be considered as it affects power/fuel as well as safety.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lol, good luck getting Subaru to explain it in plain language. I couldn't even get an answer to what "frequent" towing meant. It all comes down to what each person is comfortable with towing. Personally, our travel trailer tows better than our utility trailer when its loaded down. But thats my perception, and its 100% subjective.

Is the Ascent a good choice for full-time towing...heck no. But for a few trips a month or year absolutely as long as you are comfortable with it. And fwiw the ascent can tow every bit of 5k lbs and more easily. But it has limits for a reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts