Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an interesting new video concerning Ascent's FA24 engine which, as some of you know, is speculated to replace the BRZ and Toyota 86's existing engine in 2022 as well as the WRX STI possibly in 2022. It's interesting to Ascent owners because apparently the FA24 was overbuilt from the start with this in mind. This video highlights some of those features. It's interesting to know that the FA24 is suitable for use as a high-performance engine in a sports car.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Okay, I give up. After my son wears out his 2018 Impreza I have no doubt he will go for the new STI with the new Boxer. Of course by then he will be older and hopefully be able to afford the higher insurance rates.

My biggest error. I just shared this video with him.

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Another article about this rumor

There’s a troubling statement or two in there, such as our CVT can only handle 295ft-lb. It would seem that Cobb is running closer to that limit (I don’t recall exactly what they advertise on their more aggressive tune). If true, it just doesn’t give us much room to play with the internals and add the same boost, but it might open the door to a manual swap? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
Another article about this rumor

There’s a troubling statement or two in there, such as our CVT can only handle 295ft-lb.
LOL!!!! that statement is baffling, and incorrect. How the CVT is set up determines max torque. We're nowhere near the torque limit of the TR690 design/platform. Clamping pressure is unique to the drivetrain configuration. For instance, the original 2010 Outback 2.5i with TR690 had a lower chain clamping pressure than the considerably higher torque 2013 Outback 3.6R (when the TR580 came out, it took over ALL low torque applications, and the TR690 was solely used for high torque applications from that point forward).

Subaru has regularly changed clamping pressure for each application. It's required so you don't create driveline "drag" for no need, such as running our clamping pressure on the 2010 Outback 2.5i.

This shows you what I am talking about. The green "Lineartronic SOP" dot refers to Standard Operating Parameters for the TR690 in a high torque application (though not in ours - it predates that - likely the Outback 3.6R or WRX or Foz XT). The green "Lineartronic max specification" dot is what the TR690 can actually do - it does not include the safety margin above and beyond the max spec.

Keep in mind that the TR690 currently already handles more torque than every automotive CVT on the planet (except maybe Audi's). So, as you can see, we have a LOT of extra "room" in what it CAN do, when configured to do so.

It would seem that Cobb is running closer to that limit (I don’t recall exactly what they advertise on their more aggressive tune).
COBB is considerably higher than that, at 21% increase in horsepower and torque on the 93 tune. Per LuK's original programming specs, the safety margin programmed into the clamping pressure band on our beefy chains is 25%. @COBB Tuning tested to chain slip and then backed off "a few percent". The math puts us at 335.17 lb-ft of torque on the 93 tune's 21% increase.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
OMG, we could so dream. LOL, who am I kidding? I do dream that already. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm surprised, in a very light, nimble car like the Toyota 86/BRZ, I almost think this engine might be a little nose heavy. Of course we don't know what the redesign is going to be like so that maybe irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
??? It's a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine with aluminum block. What makes you say it's heavy?

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
I think he is saying heavier than the 2.0 in the BRZ.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
374 Posts
Isn't the BRZ rear wheel drive only? If you don't have drive axles extending out from the tranny, the engine can be moved further back into the chassis. Since the H4 is shorter than an I4 longitudinally, conceivably it could be pushed back far enough to build a front-mounted mid-engine like the RX8.

·
Registered
239 Posts
COBB is considerably higher than that, at 21% increase in horsepower and torque on the 93 tune. Per LuK's original programming specs, the safety margin programmed into the clamping pressure band on our beefy chains is 25%. @COBB Tuning tested to chain slip and then backed off "a few percent". The math puts us at 335.17 lb-ft of torque on the 93 tune's 21% increase.
I have never measured torque values in my Ascent so I don't claim to have all the answers but the COBB tune for 93 does pull a lot more torque than the stock (just by feeling it) and I can bear witness my CVT never slipped. Ever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't wait to do stage 1 on 2021 Ascent. Ascent with stage1 will be a lot faster than its competitors.

It would be possible to have Ascent sti? Or put some sti parts on Ascent? That would be pretty awesome.

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Bringing this back up.
I just read this article saying the brz is getting our 2.4, sans turbo. Interesting to see its power numbers without the turbo

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's too bad about the BRZ. It's an excellent chassis that is capable of handling more power ( maybe the turbo comes along as a mid cycle upgrade). I do like the redesign, it's slightly more grown up, but not too different, kind of like seeing your kid after they come back from a couple of months at college....
I think the Ascent, having come from a TTV8 GLS 450, has plenty of power. That is one criticism I will never level at the car. I wonder if they do drop the ascent motor in the WRX, if they will tune it to have more high end oomph ( It's a lighter car, that doesn't necessarily need all that torque off the line). Now, I'm not saying the 2.4T goes flat at higher engine speeds like the CX-9 motor does, but it is definitely tuned to be stronger at lower RPMs where 99% of the people who drive an Ascent ( or anything in the class, really) need it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It is too bad. I was really hoping for a turbo - would’ve been my next car. I cannot describe how awful the current BRZ is @ 6,800ft. Gutless turd doesn’t even begin to describe it. Such a shame. I will still test drive the BRZ, but I don’t have high hopes, even with peak torque moving from 6,000rpm to 3,800rpm. It will be better, but I don’t think better is good enough for high altitude.

Also, the 2.4L engine in the 2022 BRZ is NOT the Ascent engine minus a turbo, it is a ground-up different engine, sharing very little in common. Almost every aspect of the two engines is different.

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Also, the 2.4L engine in the 2022 BRZ is NOT the Ascent engine minus a turbo, it is a ground-up different engine, sharing very little in common. Almost every aspect of the two engines is different.
I also read that the weight of the turbo and associated pieces and parts, along with raising the center of gravity, is what made them nix the turbo. Only the engineers know for sure...
I didn’t realize they were actually different engines. That’s going to be confusing!

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
May I ask where you read that? I'm not seeing that yet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts