Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a new one.

I drove 15 minutes to a restaurant to pick up some take out. I shut off the engine and left the car. I didn't lock it as I was coming back in a couple minutes. I went into the restaurant got the food, got back into the car, stepped on the brake and pushed the start button.

NOTHING! Just silence. (Then a sinking feeling in my gut.)

The dashboard did light up. The fancy displays cycled as if the car was starting. The radio came on (as usual). But from the engine...just silence.

I pushed the button again and it cycled off saying "Goodbye" on the display. So I tried it half a dozen more times. Each time, the electronics appeared to think the car was starting, but no signal to the engine. Not a sound. (At this point, I figured I was stuck, but I wouldn't starve as I had the take-out.)

I tried separating the emergency key from the FOB and held it to the starter button and pushed. The button lit up, but the engine still wouldn't make a sound. At this point, I could move the shift out of PARK into any gear, but of course, the engine was not running.

As a last resort, I exited the car, locked it, and walked about 20 feet away, certainly far enough that the FOB was not recognized. Then I pulled out my phone and used the remote start function to try to start the car. IT STARTED! So I drove it home and parked in the driveway. We'll see how it functions tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Yes, three solutions...

Here's a new one.

I drove 15 minutes to a restaurant to pick up some take out. I shut off the engine and left the car. I didn't lock it as I was coming back in a couple minutes. I went into the restaurant got the food, got back into the car, stepped on the brake and pushed the start button.

NOTHING! Just silence. (Then a sinking feeling in my gut.)

The dashboard did light up. The fancy displays cycled as if the car was starting. The radio came on (as usual). But from the engine...just silence.

I pushed the button again and it cycled off saying "Goodbye" on the display. So I tried it half a dozen more times. Each time, the electronics appeared to think the car was starting, but no signal to the engine. Not a sound. (At this point, I figured I was stuck, but I wouldn't starve as I had the take-out.)

I tried separating the emergency key from the FOB and held it to the starter button and pushed. The button lit up, but the engine still wouldn't make a sound. At this point, I could move the shift out of PARK into any gear, but of course, the engine was not running.

As a last resort, I exited the car, locked it, and walked about 20 feet away, certainly far enough that the FOB was not recognized. Then I pulled out my phone and used the remote start function to try to start the car. IT STARTED! So I drove it home and parked in the driveway. We'll see how it functions tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?
This is caused by the car thinking it's started when it's not. In that odd intermediary stage, it won't fully shut off or fully turn on.

You can use the method you did, or leave the car alone and walk away for 5 minutes, or (per Starlink support) press and hold the start button for 10 seconds to reset the system.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Face palm.. Thats one software bug that will end up costing people tow fees and major frustration.

I’m shopping a plugin hybrid for the wife. I came across another design wtf moment today. Prius Prime has the charge port Passenger side rear corner!! Umm ok.

So a few things most people park their daily commuter nose in, they typically park it driver side to garage wall with EVs. Given we mount chargers on walls and we prefer to have the charge port on the front and if possible driver side.

The Prius not only do you need to back in, but you need to walk to the opposite corner of the car to plug in!!! I hope that engineer gets kicked to the Golf Kart washing department.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A wish for a world without fobs/smart keys.

When I turn the key to my 1969 MGC GT, it usually starts. And that's with Lucas electrics.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A wish for a world without fobs/smart keys.

When I turn the key to my 1969 MGC GT, it usually starts. And that's with Lucas electrics.
I love the fob/smart key but I do wish instead of a button it would act like normal where there's a fake key and ignition and it just won't move unless it detects the fob.
To me, I just don't think I should have to push 'start' if I just want the accessories/radio on. Similar to why I don't own a Glock, I shouldn't have to pull the trigger to disassemble it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Similar to why I don't own a Glock, I shouldn't have to pull the trigger to disassemble it.
Would you like to? I have a 17 Gen 4 I'm considering parting with ...

(I know, it's not related to Subaru, other than the 'outdoors' aspect of Subaru ownership.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It happened again!

This time, I stopped the car, ran into a store and returned to the car within about 5 minutes. It didn't start after pushing the start button. This time I watched EVERYTHING very carefully.

When it didn't start a 2nd time, I noticed in the dashboard notification area (that small area where you can check your tire pressure) a message saying something like, "To start the car, TURN THE WHEEL AND PUSH START". So, along with stepping on the brake, I put some pressure on the wheel to turn it (it of course was locked in the park position and wouldn't turn) and pushed the start button. IT STARTED!!

So this is something that all of us have to know because there are many times that we dash into a place for a few minutes and get back in the car. This may be the necessary way to start it unless you go to the backup plan which is to leave the car, lock it, get far enough that the FOB is not detected, then use your Starlink smart phone app to remote start it. (That's what worked last time this happened. Wouldn't want to have to do that in the rain or snow.)

(Have to love being a beta tester.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
It happened again!

This time, I stopped the car, ran into a store and returned to the car within about 5 minutes. It didn't start after pushing the start button. This time I watched EVERYTHING very carefully.

When it didn't start a 2nd time, I noticed in the dashboard notification area (that small area where you can check your tire pressure) a message saying something like, "To start the car, TURN THE WHEEL AND PUSH START". So, along with stepping on the brake, I put some pressure on the wheel to turn it (it of course was locked in the park position and wouldn't turn) and pushed the start button. IT STARTED!!

So this is something that all of us have to know because there are many times that we dash into a place for a few minutes and get back in the car. This may be the necessary way to start it unless you go to the backup plan which is to leave the car, lock it, get far enough that the FOB is not detected, then use your Starlink smart phone app to remote start it. (That's what worked last time this happened. Wouldn't want to have to do that in the rain or snow.)

I've had that happen once. The message said something like "Wheel locked...... ". And the wheel definitely was more solidly locked in one spot that I normally see - no give at all. After wrenching it a bit, I was able to start as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It happened again!

Just curious, had you turned the wheel pretty hard to get into a parking spot and then turned off the vehicle?

On older key start vehicles, there are times when I know the ignition key would not turn as the steering wheel had been turned hard getting into a spot and the vehicle turned off. I would have to relieve some pressure on the steering wheel and then be able to turn the key.

Wondering if this is possibly similar and a lockout condition of the ignition due to steering wheel lock position.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just curious, had you turned the wheel pretty hard to get into a parking spot and then turned off the vehicle?

On older key start vehicles, there are times when I know the ignition key would not turn as the steering wheel had been turned hard getting into a spot and the vehicle turned off. I would have to relieve some pressure on the steering wheel and then be able to turn the key.

Wondering if this is possibly similar and a lockout condition of the ignition due to steering wheel lock position.

At least on my attempt, I don't believe I had done anything drastic like a hard turn. It kind of didn't make sense to me how it would be locked. I used to have to deal with that occasionally on an older car myself so that's why when this happened, it didn't seem overly strange, I guess. Jiggle the wheel and start was in my previous vocabulary. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
One time my wife and I mixed up our Legacy & Outback keys... took us a while before we figured out what the problem was.

Could the battery in the fob need replacement already?
@Carl Abrams I love my G19 G2, just wish it had a rail for a taclight. If you can clean one, you can clean them all. Love the standarization they have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine has now told me twice that I need to turn the engine off before I exit, even though I've put it in park, set the brake, and pressed the button. I've only had to press the button once more to clear that message, but I have no idea why the car thought it was still running when it wasn't.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I got the turn off the engine before exiting message after I turned off the engine too. Just happened once.

I have also had a picture of a car with an open door and dinging sounds when getting out.

Not sure why on either one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Power tailgate behaves the same way. When we use the button on the dashboard to open and close using button on tailgate, the tailgate doesn't recognize the FOB after returning from the shopping. Need to unlock car and press tailgate on dashboard to open....so frustrating....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The first time it happened, I pulled up next to a curb, so the wheel was completely straight. The second time, I did pull into a parking space and the wheel was at an angle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine has now told me twice that I need to turn the engine off before I exit, even though I've put it in park, set the brake, and pressed the button. I've only had to press the button once more to clear that message, but I have no idea why the car thought it was still running when it wasn't.
This has happened to me. I "think" its a timing issue. If you accidentally open the door just before pushing the stop button, or even while pushing the stop button, the Ascent seems to get confused.....It usually happens to me when when I'm exiting the vehicle quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me yesterday, none of these fixes worked for me. I was stuck in a hot Stop & Shop parking lot for 2.5 hours. I got into my car, hit the Start button, and promptly put the car in Reverse and this happened. It's like I didn't wait for the system to warm up or something and then it was in this awful mode where the battery ran, but the engine wouldn't turn on. I left my car for long periods of time, went into the stores, walked around, sat far away just watching & waiting for a tow. Everytime I went back, the car was STILL ON. (some people suggest leaving for 5 minutes). I'm noticing every person has a different fix for this problem, which doesn't make me very confident about the car. It seems like LUCK honestly.

After over 2 hours my friend came by, got in the car and got it to turn off (at this point multiple people had tried, I had been on with On Star and the dealership also). Again, seems like luck or timing or something. So now I'm a little nervous and frustrated. This car is a month old. Is it the battery? The dealership was CLUELESS which is ridiculous. I can't just be spending over 2 hours in a parking lot on occasion.

I will now wait for the car to warm up before moving it out of Park, that's for sure. But sometimes you forget! I just want me & my kids to be safe. That was why we bought this thing!!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Starlink, not On Star. Make sure there are no other FOBs in or near the car, press and hold the power button with foot OFF the brake, until the car resets. If that does not work, I'd have it checked out so they can check the computer for codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry Starlink.

Starlink had told me to press down on the brake while hitting the button. They gave me a list of things to try and nothing worked. The thing that might have worked was NOT pressing down on the brake...wish someone had told me that 2.5 hours before I sat in a hot parking lot. Although honestly it shouldn't happen at all! Especially after calling Starlink and having them be clueless (b/c when being sold all our packages they made it seem like you get a knowledgeable person on the phone - mine was googling the same stuff I already had).

Best of luck to everyone else with this!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts