Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Ascent (Premium Base) won't start even with a jump and with battery fully charged with trickle charge. I also cleaned the terminals. It seems to be something electrical since the electrical door locks work only sporadically and interior lights won't turn on. Locking/Unlocking with key fob does not work at all. Also, the parking brake light is not illuminated and can't be engaged/disengaged. When the key is turned to Acc all kinds of lights light up on the dash display about Eye Sight being disabled, BSD being disabled etc. I can't shift the car to neutral and the brake pedal seems locked. Maybe the brake pedal is always like that when off, I don't know.

Background: a month ago, I couldn't start the car after doors were left open a few hours. After a jump start, car worked normally for the next month. The next time the car wouldn't start (yesterday), it was also after the doors/gate were left open for a maybe a few hours (not overnight or anything). When I first attempted to start the car, there was a weird rapid flashing of lights on the instrument panel/display and weird clicking noise that, to me anyway, didn't quite sound like the starter. At that point, the radio and door locks were working fine. After a failed jump, there was no longer the weird flashing lights on the dash or clicking noise. What is weird is that this is happening after leaving the doors open, suggesting a drained battery but that even after a jump and trickle charge, car won't start and some things seem not to be getting power.

Is this possibly something as simple as a bad battery? My predicament is that I am 2.5 hours from a dealer. I would at least like to know if the dealer has a realistic shot to fix this issue in one day so that I can know whether to take a ride with the tow truck or whether it might take a few days for the service dept. to resolve. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My 2019 Ascent (Premium Base) won't start even with a jump and with battery fully charged with trickle charge. I also cleaned the terminals. It seems to be something electrical since the electrical door locks work only sporadically and interior lights won't turn on. Locking/Unlocking with key fob does not work at all. Also, the parking brake light is not illuminated and can't be engaged/disengaged. When the key is turned to Acc all kinds of lights light up on the dash display about Eye Sight being disabled, BSD being disabled etc. I can't shift the car to neutral and the brake pedal seems locked. Maybe the brake pedal is always like that when off, I don't know.

Background: a month ago, I couldn't start the car after doors were left open a few hours. After a jump start, car worked normally for the next month. The next time the car wouldn't start (yesterday), it was also after the doors/gate were left open for a maybe a few hours (not overnight or anything). When I first attempted to start the car, there was a weird rapid flashing of lights on the instrument panel/display and weird clicking noise that, to me anyway, didn't quite sound like the starter. At that point, the radio and door locks were working fine. After a failed jump, there was no longer the weird flashing lights on the dash or clicking noise. What is weird is that this is happening after leaving the doors open, suggesting a drained battery but that even after a jump and trickle charge, car won't start and some things seem not to be getting power.

Is this possibly something as simple as a bad battery? My predicament is that I am 2.5 hours from a dealer. I would at least like to know if the dealer has a realistic shot to fix this issue in one day so that I can know whether to take a ride with the tow truck or whether it might take a few days for the service dept. to resolve. Thanks for any help.
take the ride with the tow truck, but call the dealer and notify them that they either fix it right away (they will still need to complete some diagnostics) or they can provide a loaner vehicle for the duration of the repair. It sounds like a warranty repair so any reasonable dealer would provide the loaner. If there is any problem with the dealer call SOA. Remember you have free towing to the dealer under your warranty.

If you do need a battery, please do yourself a favor and read the battery posts on this site. SOA will pay for a more robust battery replacement but you probably need to supply it and they will reimburse you. See the posts recommendations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I have the Gold Plus. I am in Canada, but the vehicle and warranty were purchased in US. Vehicle is also registered in US. So I hope they will honor the warranty here. Subaru website does say "Added Security is honored throughout the United States and Canada"

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
IDK if it will help, but you might have them perform TSB07-155-19R while there. It fixes a problem with intermittent operation of the tail gate and excessive battery drain when the tailgate is left open. A new PRG control module is needed for TSB and may need to be ordered.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Have you figured out why this is happening? I have had a similar issue twice. Once it started without an issue a few hours later (warm weather). The second time started on a boast. Real cold snap Northern Ontario.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a blown battery fuse in that particular case. That is the fuse right on the battery connection. Suburu replaced that and also the battery itself, which they said was also failing. But I've since had the battery go dead again and had to jump it. Probably a map light was accidentally left on. I think it is just a flaw of the car that if you leave the door/gate open too long long or leave a light on, the battery will drain pretty quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.