Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared Ascent with the 2019 Volvo XC90 AWD trim?
Any idea how Ascent lease will compare with XC90 lease?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's hard to say unless you take the time to go into both dealerships for a lease quote because it depends on theire depreciations rate, dealership offers, etc.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Unfortunately they did not have the XC90 at the Auto show near me so I didn't check it out. We kind of took the XC90 off the list because they are now owned by a Chinese company and have had some issues with the center screen. It did check a lot of the boxes but with that we just never really looked at them further. Also a lemon my parents had growing up really soured me on the brand. Weirdly enough it was replaced with a Subaru!

I know a lot of people near me that swear by Volvo and love their old XC90s and Cross Country vehicles they have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Wife had an old model XC90 and it was AWFUL. Worst vehicle we've ever owned. Soft Tires didn't last 25,000 miles (really). Bad Transmission at 60,000 miles. Black plastic dash trim pieces turned white. Leather interior cracked prematurely.

Decent looking and likely safe is the only good thing I can say along with we did get some money back on an owners Class Action lawsuit on the terrible transmission.

They MUST be better now, guessing, but they will have to prove it to someone else..

·
Registered
259 Posts
I haven’t done an extensive comparison, but just to add my two cents. The XC90 is a luxury SUV with a price to match, the base starts at $46,900 and top end goes up over $100,000. I think there are more features like a rich, plush interior and built-in booster seat but then again this is a luxury vehicle. Reliability is terrible, Consumer Reports gives it a 1/5.

I’m not sure the high-priced, luxury segment really compares well with the Ascent (or Subarus in general). I’m showing my bias here, but with Subaru you’re getting a reliable, decently-priced car with practical amenities. The luxury segment generally has varying reliability, very high price, and often superfluous amenities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dragged my pregnant wife to the other side of the convention center and up the stairs to get to the XC90 just so i could compare in person. I spent about 30 seconds trying to get into the backrow and realized it was pretty useless for an adult. Love the look of the car but if you want a 3rd row look elsewhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good to know the XC90's third row is pretty useless unless you have little kids that'll fit. From what everyone is saying the Ascent is the better option for what you pay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
we had a compact volvo awd turbo awesome car ......dealer 60 miles away.....reliable but parts $$$$$$$ subaru dealer is 20 miles away.

promised my wife only consider dealers "close"

subaru gives me all the things volvo has been known for and less expensive to maintain thats why is so popular

·
Registered
15 Posts
I almost purchase the Volvo XC90.. My divorce present to myself. But after going to the Chicago show and seeing the Subaru Acsent, I decided I might need the extra leg room in the third row. The seats were just as good as the Volvo. For the features I got in the Ascent I would have paid $70 for the Volvo.
I might get a used convertible with the difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the features I got in the Ascent I would have paid $70 for the Volvo.
Thanks. I think this is in-line with what I figured out all way in 2005, when I got Outback instead of Volvo Corsscountry Wagon. I think Outback had the same (or maybe even more) safety features (if remember right Outback had seat belt pre-tensioners)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I dragged my pregnant wife to the other side of the convention center and up the stairs to get to the XC90 just so i could compare in person. I spent about 30 seconds trying to get into the backrow and realized it was pretty useless for an adult. Love the look of the car but if you want a 3rd row look elsewhere.
Yup a parent has been asking about the x90 on our neighborhood forum. I pulled the 3rd row specs. The X90 is super tight. 46.9inch shoulder width vs 57in the Ascent. The hip spec is 45in x90 vs 47Ascent. Which means the Ascent is a two adults max or 3littles max 3rd row.
I have put 3 adults in the Sequoia 2nd row. Its snug but ok for a short run say couples night out for a dinner etc. Shoulder width 60.9in and hip 50in.

There are lots of x90 cheer leaders but two parents said its too tight and they should have gotten a bigger ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My partner owns the current XC90. First off, you absolutely can not compare the two, as one is a luxury SUV and the other is a mainstream SUV.

Secondly, yes, Volvo is owned by the Chinese, but that’s it. Sweden still has full control over design and materials. For comparison, I drove an S90 made in Sweden, and another S90 when they moved manufacturing of the S90 to China, and I honestly could not tell a single difference. Materials quality felt the same between the two. Our particular XC90 was made in Sweden.

The materials quality is excellent, and yes, the center screen can be a little laggy at times, but it’s one of the best infotainment systems I’ve ever used.

16k miles and not a problem so far.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately you really can’t compare the 3rd row of the Ascent to the XC90 on specs alone because the XC90 is a 2 person 3rd row. We test drove the XC90 and I loved it but ultimately we couldn’t justify spending 10k more for the Volvo.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My partner owns the current XC90. First off, you absolutely can not compare the two, as one is a luxury SUV and the other is a mainstream SUV.

Secondly, yes, Volvo is owned by the Chinese, but that’s it. Sweden still has full control over design and materials. For comparison, I drove an S90 made in Sweden, and another S90 when they moved manufacturing of the S90 to China, and I honestly could not tell a single difference. Materials quality felt the same between the two. Our particular XC90 was made in Sweden.

The materials quality is excellent, and yes, the center screen can be a little laggy at times, but it’s one of the best infotainment systems I’ve ever used.

Except it takes massive lawsuit against Volvo to correct a faulty transmission found in all the X90’s. It might be a nice looking car but the owners of Volvo have about as much ethical business sense as a chimp.

Not to mention its tight on interior space.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Yep. I have really considered the XC90 T6 R-Design...but It was just a little out of my price range once I started putting the options that I wanted.

I also like the look of if compared to the Ascent. Just my .02 :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still have not pulled the trigger on the Ascent, but have used the latest XC90 for a week and done extensive research and visits to Volvo. We are comparing the Ascent Touring to what we would get in Volvo. A big thing for us is needing/wanting cooled seats and a safe car. That brings you into a T6 AWD Inscription with a base of $60,445. We also wanted the 360 camera, that the ascent doesn't have. This is part of the Convenience Package $1,950. Once you add some other basics like trailer hitch, floor mats, paint that isn't white and a heated steering wheel, you're up to $64,555 compared to a fully loaded ascent at $47,914. ($16,641 premium based on MSRP)

What we will miss most by not having the Volvo?
- True 360 Camera
- Side mirrors tilt down when reversing to see the curb. (our 2004 LX470 has that.... come on Subaru)
- True Start/Stop Cruise control and Pilot assist. This was awesome to use. I have not tried the ascent lane correction feature, but from what I've seen online, it doesn't compare.
- Auto-lock liftgate button when you close it.
- hands free liftgate operation
- simple/elegant interior
- More powerful car
- 8 speed tranny
- Looks better
- The chance to take delivery in Sweden
- Front passenger seat memory and same 8 way adjustment as the driver

What worried us?
- Overall Reliability
- Depreciation (even though we plan on keeping 10+ years)

Why we like the ascent:
- Price
- Still get heated/cooled front, heated steering, rear heated seats
- Lots of safety through eyesight, and salesperson demo'd the rear auto braking. works like a champ when he accelerated backwards towards a railing.
- Captains chairs in the middle
- Roomy third row
- More cargo space
- at least it will have a 180 front camera...

The Ascent is clearly the more practical and "smart" choice. I would bet in 5 years the Ascent would sell for the same price as a 5 year old XC90. It will be a solid car for my wife to drive around and my kid to be safe in.

That being said, we are also still looking at a Nissan Armada Platinum, but it's difficult to find them on the lots where we live.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Ascent is clearly the more practical and "smart" choice. I would bet in 5 years the Ascent would sell for the same price as a 5 year old XC90. It will be a solid car for my wife to drive around and my kid to be safe in.

That being said, we are also still looking at a Nissan Armada Platinum, but it's difficult to find them on the lots where we live.
That depreciation is also why you can buy a 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription with 20K miles for the price of the Ascent Touring right now. I love the looks of the new Volvos, but I don't like having to use a giant tablet to change anything in the car.

The Armada is way overdue for an interior update IMO. Hopefully they go more towards the direction of the 2019 Altima.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW we test drove an XC90 to compare with the Ascent. My wife (5'5") sat in the 3rd row to see what it would be like for an adult. We drove for about 20 min and she said it felt quite comfortable overall and would have no trouble sitting there for a long a trip. Of course it does only sit 2 back there so no option to have three kids on the bench seat there as you'd have with an Ascent.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The x90 rear space is literally lousy compared to everything except the Mazda. The biggest negative its a Chinese investor group that ownes it. You can’t find any larger questionable business ethics than Chinese investor groups. As much as I despise our leadership in the US right now Volvo should be heavily targeted buy his China trade war.

As for past quality they were absolutely complete crap! So bad my buddies shop refuses to service them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts