Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently driving a 2012 Tribeca. Can anyone who has owned both provide some feedback on the differences? I am concerned with the driving characteristics (Steering, throttle lag:its annoying in the Tribeca, forward visibility: the A pillars block it in the Tribeca). And any other comparisons are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
They are both Subarus. Other than that...I suspect that you need to take a test drive in the Ascent and also suspect it will be eye-opening. Subaru learned a lot of lessons from the Tribeca experience...

I can't give you any personal observations of specifics because I've never sat in a Tribeca and only saw a few on the road over the years.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I was buying my 2017 Outback we were sitting with a salesman and he was talking about the Ascent and all the time/effort they put into getting this one right after the Tribeca did so poorly. I imagine all your complaints are taken care of (but there may be a couple new ones).

Go test drive one. I love mine.

I do believe there are a few owners on here who have owned both. Hopefully they can chime in too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I actually dont mean to complain too much about my Tribeca. Its 7.5 years old and has 53k miles and still drives like new. And its been very reliable. I was wondering how much improved the Ascent is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tribeca steering is good, its not too light. But the low speed throttle lag and A pillar visibility are annoying. I will read some more on the forum about the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
John, even if you don't want to actually test drive one right now, stop by your favorite Subaru store and at least sit in one in the showroom. That will help answer your aesthetics questions relative to visibility, etc. But I'll warn you that you will then want to test drive one. LOL :D

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The Tribeca steering is good, its not too light. But the low speed throttle lag and A pillar visibility are annoying. I will read some more on the forum about the Ascent.
It's a very different car, in various respects, while maintaining many things that make it a Subaru. I suggest you test drive. Stop in at Liberty Subaru if you're in the NY Metro area and test drive one.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
78 Posts
I am currently driving a 2012 Tribeca. Can anyone who has owned both provide some feedback on the differences? I am concerned with the driving characteristics (Steering, throttle lag:its annoying in the Tribeca, forward visibility: the A pillars block it in the Tribeca). And any other comparisons are welcome.
I have 06 B-9 and also 2020 Ascent driving them both and mine personal feeling {because i have an outback too}is that B-9 is like six month pregnant, fat nonathletic Outback,, BUT the Ascent is nine months in and feel very light and sporty . LOL like em both ...have to say that subaru learn from B-9 a lot...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have 06 B-9 and also 2020 Ascent driving them both and mine personal feeling {because i have an outback too}is that B-9 is like six month pregnant, fat nonathletic Outback,, BUT the Ascent is nine months in and feel very light and sporty . LOL like em both ...have to say that subaru learn from B-9 a lot...
I had an 08 Tribeca with the 3.6 liter engine and I don't think the performance was that far off. Of course your B9 had the 3.0 H6 so it has a lot less torque.

I miss the steering in the Tribeca, I like that much better though. The Ascent is way over boosted for my taste. My wife is the primary driver of the Ascent, and when she had to drive my 2013 Legacy, she complains about how much effort she needs to turn the steering wheel! Fun fact, the Tribeca's interior was designed by former Alfa Romeo designer Andreas Zapatinas. Then there is the transmission, my Tribeca only need one!

With that said, the Ascent is so much better. Space, ergonomics, accommodations, and most importantly a usable 3rd row!

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
78 Posts
With that said, the Ascent is so much better. Space, ergonomics, accommodations, and most importantly a usable 3rd row!
the third row is what subaru learned from B-9. I bought mineB-9 as 5 seater (with one kid,that time),then with three kids,we need more room,so I scavenge third row seat from wracked B-9,it was good for some time but now when kids get bigger its almost no use ,Ascent with seven seat setup is just great.

·
Registered
680 Posts
^ This is where we "grew" as well.

I had a '13 Tribeca between 2013 and 2016.

In November of 2012, I went from my '05 Legacy 2.5 GT (5MT, with the usual "Stage 2+" modifications) to the '13 Tribeca, seeking more room for my daughter and her friends, as well as my nephews, all of whom were around 5 to 6 years old at the time.

My Tribeca started as the vehicle I loved to hate - it took me away from my beloved "Winky," that fun little blue LGT, one of the few cars that I truly loved (you can check my screen-name, "TSi+WRX" on LegacyGT.com: I was one of the first in the midwest to have the car ECUTek'ed). But at the end of that 3-year lease, I actually hated to see the Tribca go. It had more than enough room for our everyday needs as a family of three-plus-one-dog, and the ability to stuff two more kids-to-pre-teens in the third row when we needed it was icing on the cake. For family trips, we no longer had to worry about what would fit in the car (at that point, we had also had an '09 as well as '13 Forester XT in the garage). What's more, the high-powered vents in the rear of the cabin was actually able to keep everyone frosty during hot summers: for a family of polar bears, no other Subaru before or since (between me and the wifey and my in-laws, we're on our 13th Subaru since 2005) - until the Ascent, that is - had been able to provide this level of decadence.

And that's where I'll pick up -

Comfort-wise, the Ascent has the Tribeca beat. The entertainment stack notwithstanding (since the Ascent is a much newer vehicle, whereas the Tribeca's interior won industry awards when it first came out, it's now obviously dated and lacks modern features), it's every bit as comfortable, but more upscale and more refined (that heavy rear door on the Tribeca? the Ascent's door weight took our complaints into account). The Ascent drives a bit bigger -and to me, "softer" - than the Tribeca, but it's not ponderously so. The steering is very boosted, but to me, this is really only noticeable when I jump into my wife's '19 WRX. Day-by-day, my brain seems to align with the Ascent's steering characteristics pretty nicely. It is a family-vehicle, and a three-row SUV at that. I'm not expecting it to turn a hot lap, and since I don't reach for 10/10th on public streets, I'm glad to trade a bit of feel for single-finger ease when parallel parking or searching for a spot at Trader Joe's.

Acceleration is noticeably and quantifiably better than the 3.6H was able to provide. Though this may not seem so from behind the wheel - likely due to increased cabin NVH isolation - no matter what source you consult, you'll find that the Ascent's numbers, even in its heaviest trim, betters that of the Tribeca's. There will be a bit of adjustment and recalibration you'll need to make coming from a traditional automatic to the CVT, but the grunt of the Ascent is undeniable. "Smoothness" of acceleration is something that I don't think I've ever associated with a modern Subaru. To me, with experience behind an '05 WRX 4MT, '05 LGT 5MT, '09 Forester XT, '13 FXT Touring, '13 Tribeca, '16 Outback 2.5i Limited, '16 WRX CVT, and '19 WRX CVT (and more than enough seat-time in my in-laws' '13 and '16 Legacys), I've always felt varying forms of "hickups" when the right pedal is depressed. For me, only aftermarket ECU mapping has ever been able to make any of this better - personally, I think it's just that Subaru's OE tune has to walk a fine line between too many different factors, and that it's at points stumbling over its own lines of code. If smoothness of acceleration or crusing characteristics is truly going to bother you, I would recommend that you pursue an aftermarket tune.

I was one of those who complained about A-pillar visibility (puddle lights may cause fire!!!! - my screen-name on sb9t.com was also "TSiWRX" - New member - Cleveland Ohio). I have not noticed anything untoward, with the Ascent, and several industry reviews have noted that outward visibility is good/excellent with the Ascent, with specific mentions of the A-pillars. A vehicle of this class, particularly with modern safety standards to meet, isn't going to have whispy pillars, but the Ascents don't seem to block outward view nearly as much as the Tribeca's did for some of us. I'm sure that if you measured it, the Ascent's will be thicker, but I think a combination of its shape/contouring plus how it interacts with the hood/dash makes for less visual interference from the driver's position. Can a smaller cross-traffic vehicle still "hide" there, as with other SUVs of this stature? Yes, it's possible (I learned this in my first weeks with the Ascent), but if you've done your due diligence before making that turn, it won't be a problem.

The headlamps on the Tribeca was never a complaint of mine (if you know me from other Forums such as those I've mentioned above, you'll know that this is an area that I have particular interest in), but I think you'll find the steering-responsive LEDs of the Ascent to be heads-and-shoulders above what we had with the Tribeca. I haven't even remotely thought that the Ascent's headlighting to be anything but wonderful.

Finally, I think that the Tribeca was a bit more sure-footed in snow/ice, but that the heavier weight of the Ascent - even with the just OE Falkens - to be exceptional in the wet.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Puddle lights!: I forgot about those. I liked them so much, I had them added to my 13 Legacy. I wish they offer them again for the Ascent.
You can find them online for purchase.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can find them online for purchase.
Oh Really? I did a quick glance and I could only find ones that are mounted on the inside of the doors or the auto darkening mirror ones. The Tribeca and Legacy/Outback had these:

The 4 puddle lights would turn up when you unlock the car and slowly turn off after some time or immediately if you lock the car.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Oh Really? I did a quick glance and I could only find ones that are mounted on the inside of the doors or the auto darkening mirror ones. The Tribeca and Legacy/Outback had these:

The 4 puddle lights would turn up when you unlock the car and slowly turn off after some time or immediately if you lock the car.
Ah, those. No, none for the Ascent. Just the approach lights on models that have it, which lights the door handle and floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts