-Handing
-Resale

What the Traverse has over the Ascent:
-More satisfying drive-line
-Not 1st year vehicle
-Steering feel is alot better. IMO
-More cargo space
-Carpet and floor mats are thicker.
-Better for towing long distances and in general. Ascent doesn't enjoy towing 3,000-4,000lbs as much as my 08 Acadia or 12 Buick Enclave. It will do it, but will give you a dirty look:)
-Stereo sounds better.
-Ride...Ascent is great, but too soft at times like an old towncar type feeling. I like a little firmer and more in control feeling that you get out the of Traverse/Enclave
-Passenger seat and seats in general seem a little better in these...although I'll need take some longer road trips in the Ascent to know for sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What the Ascent has over the Traverse:
-Outstanding viability all around.
-Better side collision indicators.
-AWD system that is standard
-Better Standard safety package
-Handing
-Resale
Pretty much the reason we picked the Ascent over the chevy traverse.

Another reason was that the dashboard of the traverse seems very outdated. I have a 2016 chevy colorado and the first thing my wife said when test drove it was "this look the same as your ugly colorado" even sames steering wheel.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Biggest reason is that both the Traverse and Enclave absolutely TANK in value after 3 years (as does the GMC Acadia). Enclaves retail over 50k, Buick/GMC dealer next door has 2-3 year old Enclaves with low miles listed for 25k. Ouch.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm definitely a 'homer' and I haven't driven a newer corvette but I have not driven any other chevy/gm product with steering as nice as the Ascent. GM has more dead space so if that is what you like then sure. I like when I move the steering wheel the tires move though.

How much towing have you done with an Ascent?

·
Registered
978 Posts
The 16 and older Acadia/Traverse are on a very old, very heavy and often said to be under powered platform. The 2017 Acadia/ Traverse sit on a all new platform totally different platform and modern vehicle. Completely different vehicles

The 2017 Acadia is for sure a solid competitor to the Ascent.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Biggest reason is that both the Traverse and Enclave absolutely TANK in value after 3 years (as does the GMC Acadia). Enclaves retail over 50k, Buick/GMC dealer next door has 2-3 year old Enclaves with low miles listed for 25k. Ouch.
Probably one the worst offenders as far a resale....but on the flip side probably one of best cars to buy used as they are reliable at least the newer ones. The a crossover they are often overlooked, but very well packaged overall.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely a 'homer' and I haven't driven a newer corvette but I have not driven any other chevy/gm product with steering as nice as the Ascent. GM has more dead space so if that is what you like then sure. I like when I move the steering wheel the tires move though.

How much towing have you done with an Ascent?
The steering is super responsive, but also invokes a nervous feeling on the highway. I do like a very slight dead spot, just gives a slightly more relaxing feeling on the highway. The Legacy we have also is pretty terrible on the highway as any pressure results in veering off. Great on the twisty roads though.

I've probably put on maybe 100-120 miles in towing, just to local lakes. Planning on taking an 8 hour trip into the U.P of MI in the next several weeks and will use my Yukon as its more comfortable for me towing long distance. Some of the lakes we drop into have fairly steep dirt/sand ramps and after seeing the how the Outback can cut power if none of wheels gain traction to prevent damage to the CVT really concerns me. Check out TFL on YT for how the outback gets stuck because it cuts power to prevent damage to CVT. Not sure if the Ascent is the same, but i can;t risk it. Would hate to launch the boat and not be able to pull it out in the middle of nowhere. My Yukon spins the tires in 4wd on some of these ramps and takes some effort to pull it out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 16 and older Acadia/Traverse are on a very old, very heavy and often said to be under powered platform. The 2017 Acadia/ Traverse sit on a all new platform totally different platform and modern vehicle. Completely different vehicles

The 2017 Acadia is for sure a solid competitor to the Ascent.
Had an older Enclave and older Acadia that was far from under powered. Not sure where you read that.
That 3.5 V6 is really nice and towed our bass boat through the mountains better than our Yukon, but that was mainly due to the Yukon having a 4-speed and the 6-speed was much better at managing RPM.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Had an older Enclave and older Acadia that was far from under powered. Not sure where you read that.
That 3.5 V6 is really nice and towed our bass boat through the mountains better than our Yukon, but that was mainly due to the Yukon having a 4-speed and the 6-speed was much better at managing RPM.
Simply sharing the industry reputation for that old platform. Very heavy and dated.

The new one lost lots of weight was slimmed down and is a very nice machine. If GM puts the new 8 speed in it paired with the new 3.6 which it has not the old chevy 3.5 which was a marginal engine.

The new Acadia and Traverse are very very different machines in a good way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
What the Ascent has over the Traverse:
-Outstanding viability all around.
-Better side collision indicators.
-AWD system that is standard
-Better Standard safety package
-Handing
-Resale

What the Traverse has over the Ascent:
-More satisfying drive-line
-Not 1st year vehicle
-Steering feel is alot better. IMO
-More cargo space
-Carpet and floor mats are thicker.
-Better for towing long distances and in general. Ascent doesn't enjoy towing 3,000-4,000lbs as much as my 08 Acadia or 12 Buick Enclave. It will do it, but will give you a dirty look:)
-Stereo sounds better.
-Ride...Ascent is great, but too soft at times like an old towncar type feeling. I like a little firmer and more in control feeling that you get out the of Traverse/Enclave
-Passenger seat and seats in general seem a little better in these...although I'll need take some longer road trips in the Ascent to know for sure.

I am curious about this "More satisfying drive-line"

Also seems like every time you start a thread you hate your Ascent or at least that is the perception you give off via text, maybe you should have got something else.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Simply sharing the industry reputation for that old platform. Very heavy and dated.

The new one lost lots of weight was slimmed down and is a very nice machine. If GM puts the new 8 speed in it paired with the new 3.6 which it has not the old chevy 3.5 which was a marginal engine.

The new Acadia and Traverse are very very different machines in a good way.
They are. However, a huge factor to their terrible resale value (particularly in the case of the Acadia) is the number that are leased.

·
Registered
978 Posts
They are. However, a huge factor to their terrible resale value (particularly in the case of the Acadia) is the number that are leased.
Its also a huge rental car. But I really do like the new GMCs. The only weak point now is the 1990’s interior colors and some minor dated interior styling.

A used Acadia Denali with low miles can be had for far less than a Ascent Touring. Trust me its a serious contender in my book. Except the Upper trims are 7 passenger only which is a very big deal killer for me. I need a 2nd Row Bench seat to seat 5 with gear behind the 2nd row. IE SUV like use not local Minivan shuttle use.

·
Registered
597 Posts
As someone who looked at the Traverse but ended up with an Ascent.

Here are the reasons why we ended up with the Ascent:
1) Price: The Ascent ended up around 46K out the door with a Touring model. The Ascent High Country was around 55K and would have been over 50K out the door or over 10% more expensive
2) Big glass Sunroof: Traverse has two small Sunroofs instead of the large one.
3) Length: The Traverse 0.3" longer than a Tahoe and is ~8" longer than the Ascent. Both fit in the garage Traverse required me to move a lot of stuff around.
4) Ascent is easier to get in and out of for my older in-laws (lower entry point)
5) Ascent has a Turbo with AWD. I like Turbo engines (personal preference)
6) AWD Subaru has a Superior system
7) Higher ground clearance

The Traverse does have more space, stout V6 engine, and parts are easy to come by. I know they are safe as we know a old couple that survived a 60MPH collision where they did a 360 without injury.

In the end the big one was price. While I didn't look at depreciation to get similar features required the High Country model which seemed very high priced.

I stated this in another thread but we also sat in all of these cars at a car show to determine what to get.
VW Atlas
Ford Explorer
Ford Expedition
Chevy Traverse
Dodge Durango
Audi Q7
MB GLS
Toyota 4Runner
Mazda CX9

Pilot, Highlander, Tahoe, Odyssey, Sienna, and Pathfinder were already not on our list as they didn't meet certain criteria or we had experience with them and realized they would not work.

My Uncle did get the Traverse and seems to like it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am curious about this "More satisfying drive-line"

Also seems like every time you start a thread you hate your Ascent or at least that is the perception you give off via text, maybe you should have got something else.
I guess by satisfying i mean it feels more connected to the driver. When towing I prefer that, when just using as a daily to the office or on a family vacation it's not as much of a factor.

I was going to grab something else, but wanted to try something else as far as a crossover/suv as I've mainly stuck with GM and Toyota. I don't hate the Ascent at all and would have loved for it to work for me for towing my boat, i can however see myself really liking this for towing snowmobiles up 8hrs north a few times a year. With that being only about 1,400lbs and the AWD with radar cruise and awesome headlights. I'm however wondering about deer running across the road and the auto brake system....might want to turn that off when towing in the winter as i think i'd rather nail the deer than risk the trailer getting squirrely by slamming on the brakes???? Narrow two lanes roads and plenty of deer is not a good recipe for that type of system

I had a slight indication when buying it wouldn;t be a great tow rig for heavy trailers, but really didn't buy it for that. My real 1st choice was a new Durango. Being Unibody with a V8 and 7,500 towing capacity seems like the perfect combo for me.....but i didn't really need a new tow rig right now and I refuse to buy another Dodge product even if the Durango seems to be more reliable than most.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The steering is super responsive, but also invokes a nervous feeling on the highway. I do like a very slight dead spot, just gives a slightly more relaxing feeling on the highway. The Legacy we have also is pretty terrible on the highway as any pressure results in veering off. Great on the twisty roads though.

I've probably put on maybe 100-120 miles in towing, just to local lakes. Planning on taking an 8 hour trip into the U.P of MI in the next several weeks and will use my Yukon as its more comfortable for me towing long distance. Some of the lakes we drop into have fairly steep dirt/sand ramps and after seeing the how the Outback can cut power if none of wheels gain traction to prevent damage to the CVT really concerns me. Check out TFL on YT for how the outback gets stuck because it cuts power to prevent damage to CVT. Not sure if the Ascent is the same, but i can;t risk it. Would hate to launch the boat and not be able to pull it out in the middle of nowhere. My Yukon spins the tires in 4wd on some of these ramps and takes some effort to pull it out.
So you do have an Ascent but you're comparing it to something else you're thinking of getting?

Can you point me to these videos? I did a quick search and can't find anything. Are you sure they aren't just forgetting to turn off traction control?

I'm not trying to say the Ascent is the best car ever or fits all needs but It's difficult to figure out what you're trying to get our of your posts.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an Ascent and was getting my thoughts down as to why i purchased it over a Traverse.

I'll have to look into my history on YT later today to see what video. I does clearly show the engine cutting power and they are no longer able to advance up the hill.
This channel ended up purchasing a 2018 Outback just the other day because Subaru will no longer let them borrow any.
At some point Subaru lent them several and then one night one ended up taking them all back...one of them was in the guys garage and they went into the garage to take it back without notifying him. Something about they didn't like them scratching the paint.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing if they can repeat the problem. Others don't seem to have that issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd be interested in seeing if they can repeat the problem. Others don't seem to have that issue.

https://youtu.be/WuG1yivsXGc?t=76
Maybe the issue is when the car is not carry any forward momentum??? Maybe that puts the most stress on the CVT and why it's cutting the power on slow hills climbs...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe the issue is when the car is not carry any forward momentum??? Maybe that puts the most stress on the CVT and why it's cutting the power on slow hills climbs...
We'll see, hopefully. Based on the other videos I've looked at it seems like driver error and not the car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts