Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Yep, it seems that as of a few weeks ago, IIHS has changed their ratings to reflect the entire line. So, everyone (there weren't many) that had a TSP+ in that category, lost it. The Ascent still sits on the top, but lost the "+".

I suspect this will lead manufacturers to start including LED headlights in all trim levels. I think that's a great thing. Can't wait! I love my steering responsive LEDs, and think everyone should have them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
First thing I did was add LED headlights to my premium trim!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been remiss to add any input or comments on discussions with LED lights, accessory or headlamps. I understand they draw much less power and do not have the same heat generation as traditional halogen. For accessory and interior lights, LED's are a no-brainer. I also like the 'adaptive' or steering 'responsive' headlights. I am not sure if responsive headlights come in both LED and halogen?

I haven't quite got on board with the LED headlights for a few reasons:
1) Halogen's in the ascent or any other vehicle I've driven have seemed sufficient. When needed and traffic permitting high beams work great. I know others have mentioned they do/can feel unsafe with them, which is subjective.
2) I believe in theory LED's are brighter and therefore help with visibility... but this is a detriment to oncoming traffic and making other feel less safe/blinded. There has to be a balance. I am not light sensitive, but I HATE cars coming at me with LED's. Especially taller vehicles. Inwardly I curse them under my breath. I would chose a car with NO LED's on purpose.

I'm just not sure why there is such an emphasis on something light headlights in rankings/ratings. It's shameful to me. It makes me question the entire rating system which I used to think was somewhat valid. ie Consumer reports or IIHS.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Driving in rural New Mexico with LEDs vs no-LEDs can easily be the difference between hitting/missing a deer, jackrabbit or coyote. $$$$ in repairs (plus trauma for kids)

If adjusted properly, they should be no more blinding than a normal halogen. Often they are too high, so you get the full LED experience in your retina.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I added H11 and 9005 LEDs to my Premium. In terms of brightness and color, the projector low beams are pretty similar to the HID headlights in my previous vehicle...maybe a little bluer and brighter. The projectors do retain the same horizontal cutoff of the halogen bulbs but provide a significantly wider beam. The reflector high beams are way bright, much brighter than the HID high beams on my previous vehicle, which were just the low beams with horizontal cutoff removed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have LEDs on all of my cars, and swivel headlights as well. I love the feature. I think my Subaru & Jaguar are a level above my Lincoln in terms of output performance. But those cars are two years newer than my Lincoln. In terms of a safety feature I think it should be included on all models. It's relatively inexpensive, and the cost per unit would go down, buying for the entire product line instead of just certain trim levels.
Maybe it'll be a mid-cycle update.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Devils advocate here. What’s IIHS’s basis for saying steering responsive LED’s are safer? Has anyone been saved by their steering responsive LED’s? Bluish white light from LED’s travels different than the more orangy Halogens so theoretically using a brighter halogen would be better than a normal LED, right?
Looking for case studies and science, not conjecture and anecdote. Go!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
I think their determination is pretty simple. Good headlight motion illuminates the area one is turning into/towards, as opposed to solely straight ahead.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm over 50. The brain is dimming, along with the eyes. LED brightness is a must-have for me! Thank you Subaru!

(Unfair comparison to my old Merc GL's halogens, but... can't count the number of times we wondered if the halogens were even on.)

F.S.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm over 50. The brain is dimming, along with the eyes. LED brightness is a must-have for me! Thank you Subaru!
I resemble that remark...and yea, I love the brighter LED headlamps. The HID projectors on my MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit were darn bright, but the LEDs on my Ascent are so much better. And yea, the steering sensitivity is nice on the windy back roads around here, too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm just not sure why there is such an emphasis on something light headlights in rankings/ratings. It's shameful to me. It makes me question the entire rating system which I used to think was somewhat valid. ie Consumer reports or IIHS.
IIHS has all the insurance industry's stats whereas CR is about their engineers and the reliability stuff is only CR subscribers who fill out the survey.

Now if you're saying IIHS is starting to nitpick I can see that. They've used their rating to accomplish a lot; frontal wrecks at higher speeds than the NHTSA uses, rollover, side impact using a crash sled that mimics the front end and weight of a Ford 150 since that is top selling vehicle, LATCH systems, front offset, front offset both driver and passenger side, whiplash, small front offset, knee protection, etc. Now it is; forward looking crash safety systems, headlights, and pedestrian - vehicle crashes that they've added weight to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, keep in mind the IIHS testing exists because the automaker lobbyists succeeded in watering down the NHTSA testing so the insurance industry went ahead with testing to their own standards.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, keep in mind the IIHS testing exists because the automaker lobbyists succeeded in watering down the NHTSA testing so the insurance industry went ahead with testing to their own standards.
Good to know. I do still think their testing is very important and good information. My point was simply I can't in any way understand the heavier weighting on headlamp LED vs Halogen. Adaptive or steering headlights is another matter, which are awesome.

I maintain LED's are unsafe as they affect oncoming traffic, though. I know many disagree ha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts