Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this is not a "competition" vehicle. But I own the Ascent and my Fiance just got a Tesla 3. After a couple weeks I've had the chance to drive it quite a bit and get used to it, so thought I'd compare the safety features here. Note her Tesla 3 is the base model. They've taken the cheapest based model off their online store, but you can still order the "plus" model and get the "plus" features removed. So she doesn't have autopilot, adaptive cruise control, etc.

First off, what fun to drive. With no gears and instant torque, it shoots off the line. Her model is the single motor version, so it does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. But it's the 0-30 time that is incredible. Instant, smooth acceleration. It's exactly how the Ascent would feel if they'd didn't put the fake shifts in the CVT (or you could turn it off). A quiet, smooth, planted into the back of the seat ride up to speed. When I took a buddy for a ride, and hit it on the interstate we were up to 100 without even knowing it. The ride is so quiet that all you hear is a bit of wind and tire noise.

When my Ascent gets above 60k miles or so, I'm thinking of getting the Tesla 3 Performance as my commuter vehicle and using my Ascent for long trips and towing. That's how impressed I am. I might also take it to the track instead of the 88 Mustang race car from time to time, just to throw it around a bit.

Now on to the Ascent comparison..... the safety!

The 3 has the equivalent of LD and LKA. If you haven't seen the display of the 3's sensors in action, check it out .

Where we have the simple lane lines that light up when they are detected, the 3 gives you a 3D overhead view of what all the sensors/cameras are seeing. This includes other cars/trucks and even people with the icons showing up on the display in their proper locations. The eye candy display is a thing of beauty, especially to a tech geek (like myself). It's definitely not perfect though as often times the cars will "dance" when near or even look like they are spinning around. Seems the algorithm for determining car direction could use a smoothing component to prevent the jitters and the spinning.

From that view you can also see how close you are to the lane lines. This is also pretty neat compared to the Ascent. With all the different cameras, it can even see parts of the lines you can't see from the driver's seat.

Lane Departure works in a similar way. You'll get a warning beep and the display line lights up red (as you can see in the pic above). Lane Keep Assist is also similar, but in the 3 it is even a bigger jerk to get the car back in line. It's like you bounced off a pinball machine bumper. But it does get you back into the lane and straightened up again. It makes the Ascent's LKA look tame and smooth in comparison.

Collision avoidance is also very similar. When approaching a car at too high a speed, a warning goes off and the display screen flashes red in front of the car to indicate a possible collision. The 3 seemed to detect situations similar to the Eyesight system and seemed similar in effectiveness.

When comparing the "conservative" Subaru vs the tech-heavy 3, I'm impressed with how effective Eyesight is. I haven't had a ton of time with the 3, but the last few days now that I'm comfortable with the car I've been "playing" with the LKA and such to see how it reacts. Both systems work very well. The 3 definitely has the cool factor in how it's displayed, but the Eyesight with it's simple "HUD" lights make it easier to see what the car is thinking while keeping your eyes on the road. My feel is that the eyesight system is a little bit more effective and a little bit safer, but that's a subjective opinion without data to back it up yet.

What I'd love to see is the Ascent with a HUD instead of the center console display. Put a similar model 3 type overhead view of what eyesight is seeing and project it just above the hood. Add in a speed display and the car would be even easier to manage and know what is going on. I've added my own HUD to my Ascent and having speed/boost/rpm displayed right in front of me makes it so I never look at the dash anymore!

One thing that definitely takes getting used to..... your phone is your car key. (There are backup key cards, similar to a hotel key just in case). Walk up to the car and it will unlock. Just get in and press the lever down to drive. Once you are done, press the end of the stalk to put it in park and get out and walk away. Once you are about 20 feet away the car shuts down and locks.

You can see the complete status of the car from the phone app. You can easily turn on the climate controls, set the temp, etc from your desk at work or at the restaurant. You can see what charge it has, or see how much longer it has to charge. You can even get the VIN and the odo reading from the app.

Also nice features even the base 3 has that the Ascent does not:
Adjustable steering feel with 3 modes
Auto fold mirrors
Auto tilt side mirrors when reversing (to see lane lines). (It's a setting you can turn off if you want)
Driver profiles include all settings, seat, mirrors, steering wheel position, steering mode, driving mode (standard or "chill"), etc
Dash Cam (just put in USB stick in the front usb port)
Sentry Mode (If proximity sensors are set off, records video of people near your car)
Climate protect (will turn on the internal fan or even the A/C if the temp gets above 105F. Can change with a setting)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have to admit, I was ready to come into this thread and be all like "how can ya compare the Tesla and an Ascent, apples and oranges and all", but then you pointed out it's just about the safety features and I'm all like, "Oh... ok."

Nice write-up. I've watched some videos of top trim Tesla Ss absolutely smoking ICE cars in acceleration. Those electric motors have MAD torque. Someday I'd like to get behind the wheel of one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My wife mentioned yesterday that she wants a Model 3. That may be our next car, while I hang onto the Ascent. It sounds like a pretty solid two-car stable. I'm keeping an eye out for Tesla quality and want to see what their model cycles will end up like. Software updates seem to extend the "freshness" of these cars, but the Model S for example has had the same body style for a pretty long time. I'd like to see how their styling evolves over time, not to mention how the charging infrastructure plays out.

In the meantime, I think the Jaguar I-Pace is a stunner but they have their own problems.
https://www.technewsworld.com/story/85800.html

By the time we're ready, the yet-to-be-seen Model Y might be the right car over the 3. These are exciting times.

I like that electric cars are gaining popularity and I stay up to date on all automotive news in general, but when autonomous driving is the subject of an article or podcast, I have very little interest.

http://humandriving.org/

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm not a techie by any means, but based on the engineering criteria, I think the Tesla offers multi-dimensional sensing technology that's a bit better than the EyeSight.

Conceptually, I think they offer the same technology, perhaps Subaru just not pushing it far enough yet (or the time has not come for deployment). The EyeSight features 3 dimensional sensing, which includes velocity, spatial (location of car relative to traffic lines), and distance. The Tesla is the same but using multi-sensing equipment (e.g.radar, camera, and ultrasonic) to properly model the traffic. I think the additional equipment/technology are used to validate the incoming data, while the EyeSight just relying one technology to do everything. If you can't validate the data adequately, there's uncertainty w/ the modeling.

BTW, the "modeling" I'm talking about is the screen showing the car in relation to the traffic and both cars have that; it's just Tesla shows more info with continuous animation.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're not interested in auto driving (we weren't) then a base model 3 is actually pretty darn cheap. We got the Tesla 3 Standard Range Plus at $39,900 and then had the "Plus features" removed (which is a software change). That saved $2,000 IIRC. Then (until June 30th) we had the $3850 fed rebate, so the car came out after taxes around $35k total.

Even with the rebate dropping to $1875 it's still not that expensive.

Also, in Phoenix, it's a 5 year registration for under $200. That also includes an HOV plate.

I did the gas savings for a Tesla 3 vs my Ascent. With how much I drive over 10 years I save $17k in gas (which includes the cost of electric for charging it). I think an Ascent and Tesla are a great pairing. Now if we're running around town, we just hop in the Tesla. We have solar on the house, so it's basically free :D . Long trips, lots of cargo, or towing stuff we use the Ascent.

Yes, even the base Model 3 is fast. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 13 second quarter mile.

But the model 3 performance is FAST. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and an 11.8 sec quarter mile. It's INSANE.

It's a great time for car enthusiasts. I can save gas and still get big smiles. In a few years, we might be a 2 Tesla house. A model 3 performance might be in my future. At that point my son will be ready to drive and he can drive the Ascent :D

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're not interested in auto driving (we weren't) then a base model 3 is actually pretty darn cheap. We got the Tesla 3 Standard Range Plus at $39,900 and then had the "Plus features" removed (which is a software change). That saved $2,000 IIRC. Then (until June 30th) we had the $3850 fed rebate, so the car came out after taxes around $35k total.

Even with the rebate dropping to $1875 it's still not that expensive.

Also, in Phoenix, it's a 5 year registration for under $200. That also includes an HOV plate.

I did the gas savings for a Tesla 3 vs my Ascent. With how much I drive over 10 years I save $17k in gas (which includes the cost of electric for charging it). I think an Ascent and Tesla are a great pairing. Now if we're running around town, we just hop in the Tesla. We have solar on the house, so it's basically free :D . Long trips, lots of cargo, or towing stuff we use the Ascent.

Yes, even the base Model 3 is fast. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 13 second quarter mile.

But the model 3 performance is FAST. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and an 11.8 sec quarter mile. It's INSANE.

It's a great time for car enthusiasts. I can save gas and still get big smiles. In a few years, we might be a 2 Tesla house. A model 3 performance might be in my future. At that point my son will be ready to drive and he can drive the Ascent :D
I have a Chevy Bolt EV as well as an Ascent. It isnt as cool as a Model 3, but I love the car. I got the Bolt as my daily driver, and have 24k in it with tax credit, so my wife and I use it for the bulk of our town driving. It is a gateway into the EV world for me though, as I now have the itch for a M3 performance.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru ascent premium 2003 Jeep Wrangler freedom edition
97 Posts
No this is not a "competition" vehicle. But I own the Ascent and my Fiance just got a Tesla 3. After a couple weeks I've had the chance to drive it quite a bit and get used to it, so thought I'd compare the safety features here. Note her Tesla 3 is the base model. They've taken the cheapest based model off their online store, but you can still order the "plus" model and get the "plus" features removed. So she doesn't have autopilot, adaptive cruise control, etc.

First off, what fun to drive. With no gears and instant torque, it shoots off the line. Her model is the single motor version, so it does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. But it's the 0-30 time that is incredible. Instant, smooth acceleration. It's exactly how the Ascent would feel if they'd didn't put the fake shifts in the CVT (or you could turn it off). A quiet, smooth, planted into the back of the seat ride up to speed. When I took a buddy for a ride, and hit it on the interstate we were up to 100 without even knowing it. The ride is so quiet that all you hear is a bit of wind and tire noise.

When my Ascent gets above 60k miles or so, I'm thinking of getting the Tesla 3 Performance as my commuter vehicle and using my Ascent for long trips and towing. That's how impressed I am. I might also take it to the track instead of the 88 Mustang race car from time to time, just to throw it around a bit.

Now on to the Ascent comparison..... the safety!

The 3 has the equivalent of LD and LKA. If you haven't seen the display of the 3's sensors in action, check it out .

Where we have the simple lane lines that light up when they are detected, the 3 gives you a 3D overhead view of what all the sensors/cameras are seeing. This includes other cars/trucks and even people with the icons showing up on the display in their proper locations. The eye candy display is a thing of beauty, especially to a tech geek (like myself). It's definitely not perfect though as often times the cars will "dance" when near or even look like they are spinning around. Seems the algorithm for determining car direction could use a smoothing component to prevent the jitters and the spinning.

From that view you can also see how close you are to the lane lines. This is also pretty neat compared to the Ascent. With all the different cameras, it can even see parts of the lines you can't see from the driver's seat.

Lane Departure works in a similar way. You'll get a warning beep and the display line lights up red (as you can see in the pic above). Lane Keep Assist is also similar, but in the 3 it is even a bigger jerk to get the car back in line. It's like you bounced off a pinball machine bumper. But it does get you back into the lane and straightened up again. It makes the Ascent's LKA look tame and smooth in comparison.

Collision avoidance is also very similar. When approaching a car at too high a speed, a warning goes off and the display screen flashes red in front of the car to indicate a possible collision. The 3 seemed to detect situations similar to the Eyesight system and seemed similar in effectiveness.

When comparing the "conservative" Subaru vs the tech-heavy 3, I'm impressed with how effective Eyesight is. I haven't had a ton of time with the 3, but the last few days now that I'm comfortable with the car I've been "playing" with the LKA and such to see how it reacts. Both systems work very well. The 3 definitely has the cool factor in how it's displayed, but the Eyesight with it's simple "HUD" lights make it easier to see what the car is thinking while keeping your eyes on the road. My feel is that the eyesight system is a little bit more effective and a little bit safer, but that's a subjective opinion without data to back it up yet.

What I'd love to see is the Ascent with a HUD instead of the center console display. Put a similar model 3 type overhead view of what eyesight is seeing and project it just above the hood. Add in a speed display and the car would be even easier to manage and know what is going on. I've added my own HUD to my Ascent and having speed/boost/rpm displayed right in front of me makes it so I never look at the dash anymore!

One thing that definitely takes getting used to..... your phone is your car key. (There are backup key cards, similar to a hotel key just in case). Walk up to the car and it will unlock. Just get in and press the lever down to drive. Once you are done, press the end of the stalk to put it in park and get out and walk away. Once you are about 20 feet away the car shuts down and locks.

You can see the complete status of the car from the phone app. You can easily turn on the climate controls, set the temp, etc from your desk at work or at the restaurant. You can see what charge it has, or see how much longer it has to charge. You can even get the VIN and the odo reading from the app.

Also nice features even the base 3 has that the Ascent does not:
Adjustable steering feel with 3 modes
Auto fold mirrors
Auto tilt side mirrors when reversing (to see lane lines). (It's a setting you can turn off if you want)
Driver profiles include all settings, seat, mirrors, steering wheel position, steering mode, driving mode (standard or "chill"), etc
Dash Cam (just put in USB stick in the front usb port)
Sentry Mode (If proximity sensors are set off, records video of people near your car)
Climate protect (will turn on the internal fan or even the A/C if the temp gets above 105F. Can change with a setting)
You said you had a model 3 performance in your other post🤦‍♂️

1 - 7 of 7 Posts