1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I really like the Telluride and Pallisade. They have even more safety features than the Ascent. And they are likely great values. But I bet they will be priced above the actual street price of sold Ascents.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks very nice!
If it was RWD and under 40K i might trade in the Ascent.
Why would you NOT want AWD... Especially in an SUV? That’s probably at the top of the list as to why I came to subaru. I stayed because Subaru has stayed true to WHY they are in the business.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Why would you NOT want AWD... Especially in an SUV? That’s probably at the top of the list as to why I came to subaru. I stayed because Subaru has stayed true to WHY they are in the business.
Most people in the south don't need it. They want to haul their kids but don't like the "mini van" label. There's more but those are probably the main 2.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Im very happy with my Premium. The three main factors involved in my going the Subaru route were price/value, resale and reputation for quality. Interestingly, Kia has quietly moved into the upper echelon for quality and reliability. I would need to see and drive one of these to decide but it does look like a nice vehicle. It kind of looks like Kia is trying to attract the 4runner/Jeep crowd as well people needing kid haulers.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hyundai is slightly better than KIA. I’ve been impressed with what Hyundai has been doing but they aren’t quite there yet another few yrs and yes Subaru has an issue. Toyota has big problems being that innovation is not part of their ethos and todays vehicles are full of very creative features and design aspects. Durability and reliability is becoming equal across the board due to pretty much all the electrical stuff coming from the same suppliers. Mechanical is greatly improved with CAD design and metal/plastics sciences.

·
Registered
562 Posts
AWD is way overrated for where I live. I'd rather have the characteristics of RWD and spend my money on good tires.

My RWD Dodge Magnum 5.7 handled better in the snow with Nokian All-Weather tires than my Legacy with all-season tires. Way better. Sure the tires were over 1k and only lasted maybe 40-45k, but it was fun to drive and AWD adds more weight and more complexity.

All-weather tires are also underrated. I will say the Ascent handles very nice considering the comfortable ride it has and telluride would need to be tested.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looks very nice!
If it was RWD and under 40K i might trade in the Ascent.
RWD and SUV ... the two terms that gets many non-car enthusiasts confused, as I come to find out.

RWD is commonly understood in the sports car world as having longitudinal engine/tranny layout propelling a set of rear differential gears thru a drive shaft. SUV is an oversized wagon-like cabin with great utility (eg to haul or tow like a truck), commonly known as a RWD with body-on-frame chassis (eg 4runner and wrangler are the only two mid-size SUV).

Manufacture RWD and SUV are significantly more complex, likely more expensive, because the assembly process requires about 3-4 additional steps. Buying an Ascent is the best bang for the buck at this moment until the 2020 Explorer come out.

The Ascent is classified as a CUV, but with the RWD layout, it's a good compromise between a SUV and CUV. Ford is changing their mind with their 2020 Explorer to directly compete with the Ascent.

·
Registered
562 Posts
RWD and SUV ... the two terms that gets many non-car enthusiasts confused, as I come to find out.

RWD is commonly understood in the sports car world as having longitudinal engine/tranny layout propelling a set of rear differential gears thru a drive shaft. SUV is an oversized wagon-like cabin with great utility (eg to haul or tow like a truck), commonly known as a RWD with body-on-frame chassis (eg 4runner and wrangler are the only two mid-size SUV).

Manufacture RWD and SUV are significantly more complex, likely more expensive, because the assembly process requires about 3-4 additional steps. Buying an Ascent is the best bang for the buck at this moment until the 2020 Explorer come out.

The Ascent is classified as a CUV, but with the RWD layout, it's a good compromise between a SUV and CUV. Ford is changing their mind with their 2020 Explorer to directly compete with the Ascent.
I found the Durango to be a great RWD unibody platform.....but i've been staying from Chrysler products and i agree is the Ascent is a great buy and even better in a couple years when all the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been very happy with our Hyundai Sonata, and my brother really likes his Sonata with the Turbo. If you are looking at the KIA you may want to look into the Hyundai Palisade which is a replacement for the 3-row Sante Fe to distinguish the naming. Although they are not exactly the same and Hyundai only owns ~33% of KIA they share many parts with one another. That being said the KIA branded cars from my experience are always a bit more plastic-y, cheaper feeling, and cut more corners to meet the price point they are after. It is a growing brand, but Hyundai is a stronger "brand name". You will get better value and slower depreciation. Also going to both dealeships when looking at cars for my brother and then myself. The Hyundai dealers are nice, refined, and casual. The KIA dealers I've been to still have a bit of the old sleevy car sales vibe to them with dudes in over sized suits trying to pretend the are the "bee's knees".

The Hyundai is built in South Korea and the KIA is built in Georgia, USA

https://www.betweentheaxles.net/2020-hyundai-palisade-vs-kia-telluride-differences-compared-side-by-side-20440

They made the KIA in the side by side look way cooler with the tint and the black wheels, but still they are very similar to one another.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both the Palisade & the Telluride are very handsome and very impressive looking. The current Sorento and other Hyundai models get great reviews. The quality and reliability are very good. The safety ratings are good. They still have a super impressive warranty. And the designs are sophisticated, owing to former European brand designers they brought in. They offer a lot of kit/amenities for the price. I know a couple of people who own them and are very happy with them. The only issues that I can see in considering them are 1) MPG's - Hyundai doesn't seem to be as successful with fuel efficiency as Subaru, even though they make good engines. 2) Their AWD System, HTRAC is not as capable as Subaru's Symmetrical AWD system (So if live in the NE, PNW, live in a state like Colorado or are used to getting out there in the desert with your Subaru, you may be disappointed). 3) Build quality for the above-mentioned circumstances is unlikely to be as robust - Subaru is really the only manufacturer that builds and markets their vehicles for "people with active lifestyles" - as the marketing folks say. While Honda is coming out with a new "Passport" soon aimed at Subaru's audience, all of the other manufacturers DO NOT build or market their AWD vehicles to be tested and used this way. 4) Both Hyundai's and Kia's still suffer a lag in reputation - although at this point undeserved. Nonetheless, because of this, the resale value takes a hit. (If you keep your cars for a long time, this is a non-issue). Just some things to consider when comparing.

1 - 20 of 386 Posts