Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot EXL coming off lease next month.. My local Subaru dealer has a Black 2020 Ascent Premium left in inventory for which he will give
me a lease payment about equal to what I was paying on the Honda.
I like what I see in the Ascent but I'm concerned about some of the poor ratings its received relating to mechanical problems.
The Pilot was worry free but I just want to go for a change. What do you folks have to say about your Ascent experience so far.
Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
The majority of Ascent owners are happy and satisfied. Most instances of "poor ratings" come these days relative to electronics and that's not limited to Ascent or even Subaru. I personally have had zero issues with my Ascent at 21K miles. Do a test drive and see if you like the Ascent in the trim level you are considering. Oh, and ALWAYS negotiate the selling price of the vehicle before you even utter the words "payment" and that includes for leases. Acquiring by payment will cost you money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The majority of Ascent owners are happy and satisfied. Most instances of "poor ratings" come these days relative to electronics and that's not limited to Ascent or even Subaru. I personally have had zero issues with my Ascent at 21K miles. Do a test drive and see if you like the Ascent in the trim level you are considering. Oh, and ALWAYS negotiate the selling price of the vehicle before you even utter the words "payment" and that includes for leases. Acquiring by payment will cost you money.
Good information Jim. Thanks... They are offering me a tissue deal on a Premium. They keep the holdback. Taking test drive this afternoon. Will post my results. It's the last '20 they have in sock.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Why are you worried if you're leasing? Isn't it covered under warranty anyways?

FYI, my (then new2016) Chevy Silverado had more problems than our Ascent.

My warped rotors were due to my wife not knowing how to drive in mountainous downhill and likely braked too hard.. but not a direct fault of Subaru.

18k no other issue other than typical recall work.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I've loved all 63,000+ miles of my Ascent. It's also top rated by IIHS for 7/8 seat SUVs, and a lot of fun...

It's been very reliable for me, even with all of what I do to mine on and off road.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
25 Posts
I'm two months into owning the 2020 Ascent and while I have some issues with it (no car is perfect with me) I am not overly concerned about reliability except for the CVT. That is a push with Honda which has had all kinds of issues with their automatics lately.

The electronics have actually been pretty solid with over the air updates. They sure a eccentric in how they work, but the car does what it is supposed to. I'm still learning the Subaru way of doing things.

My gripes with the Ascent (and again I've never found a perfect car) are the seats, HK "premium" radio, and the engine/CVT combo which sounds more like a blender but accelerates well. Compared to the Pilot, I like the space in the Ascent, upgraded interior materials, exterior design, and some of the electronic features (even the headlights are excellent).

Good luck in your search!

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
I am not overly concerned about reliability except for the CVT.
It's been in use for over ten years (the CVT in the Ascent) and the largest part of the issues experienced in the Ascent were due to a wiring harness that was faulty and in some cases, caused damage to the CVT. That issue was resolved quite awhile now.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
I’ve owned a number of different brands over the years, and family has had more yet. It’s going to be pretty hard to find something more reliable than a Honda. Having said that, I was willing to give Subaru a try based on what I’ve seen and heard from friends and reviews. Honestly I’m a little nervous about the CVT but that’s why I got extended warranty.
Here in Canada, the Ascent comes in quite a bit cheaper than the competitors once equipped with awd. Plus I find it’s styling in and out far more appealing. On top of that, the seating and cargo space is more useable for me.
I’m sure once I’ve had it a while longer I’ll have some nitpicks, (only one so far is the 3rd row headrests, I had to add notches to make them useable for the kids the row is intended for). I’m already used to the touchy gas pedal and light steering wheel. And the CVT is so smooth I don’t even feel the “shifts”, it’s certainly different than what I’m used to but very nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot EXL coming off lease next month.. My local Subaru dealer has a Black 2020 Ascent Premium left in inventory for which he will give
me a lease payment about equal to what I was paying on the Honda.
I like what I see in the Ascent but I'm concerned about some of the poor ratings its received relating to mechanical problems.
The Pilot was worry free but I just want to go for a change. What do you folks have to say about your Ascent experience so far.
Thanks for your help!
fair warning, the in-town MPG is HORRIBLE for a 4 banger. You have been warned

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
As far as I’m concerned, the mileage is quite good for vehicle this size. It’s comparable in size and weight to the Honda Ridgeline I just traded in, similar power numbers out of it’s larger v6. My Ascent is getting better mileage and has a bit more get up and go. The turbo 4 is competing quite well power and mileage number against the competition with their v6’s. I don’t think it makes sense to say it’s getting horrible mileage for a 4 banger since it’s not competing in a segment with smaller vehicles using 4 cylinders.
I remember when I bought my Ridgeline, Honda folk were whining about poor mileage, since the “same” 3.5l v6 got better mileage in the Accords. Not a fair comparison at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s a big car - our RDX gave about 20 in mixed driving. In 1000 miles i’m at about 21 in mixed driving. I do expect that to get a bit better based on the forum.

Also no problems so far with 1000 miles in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had a lot of problems with mine, I'm going in for my 13th or 14th service in about 14k mi and 18 months, But I appear to be the one dot that that's way off the line compared to all the other dots on the reliability chart. However, none of these issues ever left me stranded, or the car undriveable.
You never know what you're going to get with reliability (and buying a Subaru is probably a safer bet than buying a Volkswagen or a Maserati, but on an individual basis you could end up with a stinker, so you never know), so if you like it, go for it. Just make sure you test drive it extensively, as you should for any vehicle to make sure you like how it rides/ drives/ handles etc.
It's a nice, comfortable car, and I think most anyone that buys one would be happy with it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had a 2020 outback twice in the past three months as a loaner for a total of about 6 days. I really wish my Ascent drove more like the Outback in terms of ride and handling ( save for the absolute lack of power in the base outback engine). I was also getting 35 miles per gallon overall driving similarly to how I drive my Ascent.
I was supposed to go test drive a Palisade this last time I took my ascent in for service, but my service appointment got delayed when they didn't have the part in stock, and the Hyundai dealership sold the limited that they had had in stock, and I haven't rescheduled the test drive yet. While I'm starting to warm up to the Ascent and some of its quirks in general, all these issues I'm having are really driving me crazy again. But like I've said multiple times, I tend to be the oddball. My f-pace has been perfect over 11 months, I can honestly say I didn't see that coming when we bought it. There are few if any scenarios one would expect a jaguar to be in the shop less than a Subaru over the course of a year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
@Percy Garris my 4 cylinder Outback got incredible gas mileage. I would easily get 600+ miles to a tank with highway driving and 500+ in town.

I don't get why people on this forum won't admit that the Ascent doesn't get good gas mileage. They always have some stupid excuse like "it's the way you drive." That's the dumbest comment on the planet. What they're really saying is "Subaru lied to me about my MPG but I don't want to admit it because I don't want people to think I regret my purchase"

·
Super Moderator
4,215 Posts
I don't get why people on this forum won't admit that the Ascent doesn't get good gas mileage.
Because "good" is subjective and while there are some specific vehicles that clearly have something amiss that causes extremely low fuel economy, it's very true that driving style and driving circumstances contribute. Mine meets or exceeds the EPA rating...something that Subaru must use EPA testing methods to list that just doesn't reflect real world "City" environments, for example. I'm getting what I expected or better. My previous vehicle averaged 16 in general rural driving; the Ascent is pushing 21.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had a 2010 Pilot before our Limited Ascent. My wife does nothing but stop and go and i feel like it is the same as the pilot was. We had no mechanical issues with our Hondas, but all 3(Accord, TL, Pilot) had paint fading issues, that kept us from purchasing Honda again. We are very happy with the Ascent so far. The only thing i miss is the being able to pull up the glass in the rear to throw some groceries in. I felt like we got more for less with the Subaru.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts