Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 20' extension ladder this weekend, and was just barely able to fit it inside the Ascent and shut the hatch. Fully collapsed to 10' long, it touched the windshield and was about 1" shy of the hatch. I'm actually kind of surprised it was that close -- we used to own a '99 Volvo S70 sedan that could carry a 12' stepladder inside, with the rear seats and front passenger seat laid down. But it fit.

Windshield Glass Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Windshield Glass Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Vehicle Car Trunk Transport Minivan
Vehicle Car Van

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
2 words:
crossbars
roof

You however are braver than I. I sold a kayak a while back which someone loaded in their SUV. I got to see them push it against their windshield and CRACK :oops:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts
Today's vehicles have a sharper rake of the windshield, so stuffing something long and inflexible in there that has a little height like the ladder comes up against that where in the past a more vertical window would have offered just a hair more room. xydadx3 brings up a good point...ideally, you don't want something physically in contact with the very expensive glass!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the pics - it looks like a 10' or less kayak would fit diagonally in a pinch without too much fuss.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I say "touched" the windshield, it wasn't quite touching the glass. Close though. There was probably an inch of space.

I wasn't planning to carry it that way. First, I thought the front seat folded down. Second, I really thought the ladder would only reach to the dashboard. I first tried it on edge between the front seats but it hung out. Is definitely shorter in there than I thought.

I don't think a 10' kayak would fit in there. Anything thicker than that ladder wouldn't have worked for me. I mean, maybe if you turned it upside down and the front headrest fit inside the kayak.

Basically, I wished I'd brought some rope to tie down the hatch and let it hang out, but I didn't. So I thought I'd share this experience here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts