Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know they’re completely different vehicles...
I’d love to hear some opinions now that the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer has been officially announced.
Does anyone think it might take a share of Ascent sales? IF it did, I imagine it would only be the touring trim.
Personally I’d rather drive this than an Escalade 😂
I’m also curious to see if it lives up to Jeep’s off-road image and expectations.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I’d love to hear some opinions now that the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer has been officially announced.
Does anyone think it might take a share of Ascent sales? IF it did, I imagine it would only be the touring trim.
I’m also curious to see if it lives up to Jeep’s off-road image and expectations.
The Jeep is not positioned for those who really intend on going off road. This Jeep vehicle appears to be marketed to advancing a social statement and nothing more (despite having off road capabilities). Subaru owners are much more practical and value centric then that. While some Subaru owners do not venture out as much as others, for most it is the safety and ability to get out of a jam on a standard road in severe weather or possibly some rough terrain that is the attraction of the vehicle. No one is buying the Subaru for true off road adventures. No severe rock climbing, Moderate off roading, sure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
Grand Waggoneer will not likely take any sales from Ascent. You're talking a full size, body on frame, three row SUV that tows 10K pounds and costs between $80K and $108K, depending on trim level. The Wagoneer will start in the mid-$60s for the RWD model and $72K for 4WD.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Vehicles like these are bought for status purposes mostly. There will be little to no cross shopping in thie Ascent's segment. I see the X5/7, GLS/E, Q7, V90, Land Rover, and loaded up full size domestics as the competitive set.

People who worry about whether they got a good deal, or if they should spend $1500 for the next trim level, or are upset they aren't hitting the EPA mpg ratings ( I'm not exempting myself from any of these criticisms), aren't the target market for these vehicles. None of that matters in this segment. It's just got to look good sitting in the driveway or at the club, and if it's the newest version like the G Wagoneer is, you get additional bragging rights...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Grand Waggoneer will not likely take any sales from Ascent. You're talking a full size, body on frame, three row SUV that tows 10K pounds and costs between $80K and $108K, depending on trim level. The Wagoneer will start in the mid-$60s for the RWD model and $72K for 4WD.
I agree that most direct competitors are more likely Cadillac Escalades or Lincoln Navigators in term of price and size.

·
Super Moderator
4,180 Posts
Not even more likely...that's exactly the two North American produced vehicles they are targeting with the Waggies. They apparently are also planning a longer version, too. The initial one is longer than the Tahoe, but shorter than the stretched-size Suburban and Escalade. Not for me...my Ascent actually fits into parking spaces. LOL

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Not even more likely...that's exactly the two North American produced vehicles they are targeting with the Waggies. They apparently are also planning a longer version, too. The initial one is longer than the Tahoe, but shorter than the stretched-size Suburban and Escalade. Not for me...my Ascent actually fits into parking spaces. LOL
The longer version will fit two smart cars inside.

·
Super Moderator
4,180 Posts
The longer version will fit two smart cars inside.
Not sure how "smart" that is, but yea..."ahoy, matie!...set the sails..." :D

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Not sure how "smart" that is, but yea..."ahoy, matie!...set the sails..." :D
I always found it interesting to see the push for these very small cars by regulators who pushed the manufacturers with their transportation visions. At the same time the free market clearly was going in a very different direction. Now smart cars are dead and putting them in the waggie would establish the waggie as a hearse.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A better comparison would be the 2022 Grand Cherokee. Not the Wagoneer.
Don’t Forget About the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee

·
Super Moderator
4,180 Posts
Actually, James...the three row JGC-L (WL-75) is being introduced as a MY21 "as we speak" in limited production with initial deliveries in the next month or so. The two-row (WL-74) will debut as a MY22 as you note, probably mid-year with late summer deliveries at the normal production changeover time.

We got into this a little in this earlier thread right nere in this same competition discussion section:

Reactions: James B

·
Registered
5 Posts
One huge issue right now is the quality of build. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler and a 2021 Ascent Touring. Stellantis (formerly FCA) has major quality issues. My JL has been in production since CY 2017 and they still cannot get their clutch working properly. I have had two recalls on my Jeep and just received a new one yesterday. I would assume that people who value quality and practicalty will stay or go with Subaru. This was one of the major reasons we did not get a Grand Cherokee or wait for the Wagoneer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts