Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a struggle trying to find out next car. I'm on my 3rd Subaru (2004 WRX, 2009 Forester, 2014 Forester). I've loved every Subaru i've ever owned, but have always been in envy of over cars tech features and ride quality. For example, my wife has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee and it rides so quite and the 8.4" screen is so easy to use and does everything from the one simple screen.

Although the tech has always been great, I have never been a fan of Chrysler products for reliability. My wife has had so many things go wrong with her Cherokee and the latest is the driver side vents don't blow hot air, only the passenger.

The reason to look at upgrading my current 2014 Forester is that we purchased a 17' boat that we need to tow. The boat weights right around 3200 lbs. And also with 2 kids, we thought it would be nice to have a 3rd row.

I really like the look of the Durango. To me it looks great and the tech inside is great all the way down to the remote start is pretty standard on most trims, and the button is built into the key fob and not another remote. It also is a v6 that will likely tow better.

I test drove the Ascent and liked the way it drove, but didn't really excite me. The space all the way back to the 3rd row and cargo was great.

No for the money, I can get a Durango trimmed the way I want for about $33k (left over new stock) or the AScent touring for hopefully around $40k. I'm torn between getting the Durango and saving about $7k and crossing my fingers, or getting the Ascent.

I would love to hear from people who have owned a Durango before or during their Ascent.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My family has not had good experience with dodge as you mention your concerns.
For me being the family vehicle the Ascent (really Subaru since I got it before the crash ratings were out) crash safety was a huge part that can't be quantified in a number or fun factor.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The reason to look at upgrading my current 2014 Forester is that we purchased a 17' boat that we need to tow. The boat weights right around 3200 lbs. And also with 2 kids, we thought it would be nice to have a 3rd row.

I really like the look of the Durango. To me it looks great and the tech inside is great all the way down to the remote start is pretty standard on most trims, and the button is built into the key fob and not another remote. It also is a v6 that will likely tow better.
I've towed a 3,200 lb pop-up camper up the mountains here in AZ and the Ascent handled it like a champ. Sometimes I was even accelerating UP the mountain with ease. I have a thread about it, including data from the car itself. https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...r-pop-up-camper-up-mountains-data-logged.html

The Durango does have 1,200 more lbs of towing capacity, but that's due to the suspension most likely. The engines are almost the same power and the Ascent's torque comes on very low (2,000rpm) especially for a turbo. People worry about the 4 cylinder, but the Turbo makes all the difference!

Durango
Power 293 hp @ 6,400 rpm (218 kW)
Torque 260 lb·ft @ 4,000 rpm (353 N·m)

Ascent
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM : 260 @ 5600
SAE Net Torque @ RPM : 277 @ 2000

So for towing vs towing, I don't think there's a problem either way. If it's just price, you can get a Premium like I did. Nicely equipped for $36,000 and tows like a champ. In a few weeks I'll be towing my race car to the track with it and in February to Joshua Tree from Phoenix for another track.

I love mine and replaced my 2017 Outback and 2018 GMC Canyon with it. NO regrets!

Plus, buying a Dodge is just.... dodgy! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I test drove the Ascent today and liked it even more then the last time. I'm going to track one down.

John

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It might be beneficial to tow w/ 4wd for specific pavement type or road condition. If you trimmed out the Durango, the AWD option might be something to consider when you make the comparison against the Ascent.

That SRT - dayummmm!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was down to the Durango R/T and Ascent for us. What pushed us in the end to the Ascent was being able to sit three kids in third row, standard safety features/eyesight, more physical knobs/buttons on the center console, and overall look of the interior. No regrets.
I wouldn't fault anyone choosing the Durango over it though, especially if you are going to be towing a lot, but I would recommend getting the R/T....mmmm V8.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I actually have a 18 durango rt that replaced my 2014 outback, and I love it. It is fun to drive and sounds great. Im also considering getting an ascent for my wife...then Ill have both in the stable. With 3 kids the safety features are important to me too - and im the only one driving the durango mostly so not as much of a concern. I emailed subaru and they confirmed they crash tested the third row too - just not sure about results. The only other model that caught my eye is the Hyundai Palisade coming in the summer. But the acent will be more capable off road and the resale value I assume is much better.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I actually have a 18 durango rt that replaced my 2014 outback, and I love it. It is fun to drive and sounds great. Im also considering getting an ascent for my wife...then Ill have both in the stable. With 3 kids the safety features are important to me too - and im the only one driving the durango mostly so not as much of a concern. I emailed subaru and they confirmed they crash tested the third row too - just not sure about results. The only other model that caught my eye is the Hyundai Palisade coming in the summer. But the acent will be more capable off road and the resale value I assume is much better.
The Durango is a RWD platform (longitudinal engine/tranny w/ rear diff) and you would consider the Palisade, a FWD?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Sand of any sort isn't a problem for the Ascent...

Not saying this can't happen to the Ascent on loose sand, but it's still funny.

Watch Two Hyundai Palisade SUVs Get Beached During Embarrassing Off-Road Demonstration - The Drive
LOL, I'm saying it can't happen on loose sand, or dry sand, or course sand, or fine sand, or on that wet sand that they were on - unless someone does some really stupid driving to dig themselves in. I've got a lot of experience and hundreds of miles of driving on loose and wet sand, in sand pits, and more, across Long Island's south shore beaches, various sand pits and elsewhere.

AND, unlike the Hyundais, there's no mods to my Subies other than the eventual switch to All Terrain tires (they did suspension changes to the Hyundais, as you may note in the actual commercials, in the tiny fine print).

Here's a small few of the numerous videos and pictures I took of my Outback and Ascent on my MANY beaches and sand pit adventures - some of my adventures were even on the stock tires (you can see a couple of the Ascent and Outback on stock tires below in the pics).

I have only gotten stuck only once, due to doing "some really stupid driving" - and that was when I did a high speed not-turn through the top of a sand dune, leaving the car literally buried in the center 4" up the door, with the car teetering on the dune. I almost had to climb out the window. Basically, short version is, I was trying to capture some sunset pics in the tidal pool at Robert Moses State Park, was going too fast for the u-turn I wanted to do, and when the car decided to finally turn, at pretty high speed (for beach driving), I was facing the dune, instead of before it as intended). Cleaved right through the top, lost all momentum at the halfway point when the front wheels lost solid footing, leaving the highest hump of the small dune directly in the middle of the car.

Otherwise, I have never gotten stuck in either Subie on numerous numerous beach trips. As a matter of fact, literally every beach sunset, night and sunrise shot I've taken during the last five and a half years has been facilitated by me driving my Subie onto various beaches - I've done it that many times, from Montauk Point all the way west to Jones Beach, as well as off Long Island.

PICS:

Sand over coal waste over Long Island sand-dirt:

VIDEOS:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Otherwise, I have never gotten stuck in either Subie on numerous numerous beach trips. As a matter of fact, literally every beach sunset, night and sunrise shot I've taken during the last five and a half years has been facilitated by me driving my Subie onto various beaches - I've done it that many times, from Montauk Point all the way west to Jones Beach, as well as off Long Island.
Robert, Very beautiful pictures.:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
The durango is kind of cool - I test drove while waiting for the Ascent to be released. 8 speed trans and 50/50 torque split - however I don't think the v6 version can send more or less power to front/rear like a Subaru can. The Subaru has a lot more safety features I believe(i.e. standard EyeSight). I am amazed in how it performs in snow and ice. And for me I think the Subaru will hold up better to VT winters and have better resale. In 7 years my Subaru will still be worth ~half of what I paid. The Durango may be more fun to drive with the 8 speed and NA V6 or certainly with the V8. The Durango will pull a heavy load better.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
Older thread, I know...

The current generation of the Durango is essentially the same vehicle as the current Grand Cherokee...they come off the same line intermixed and have the same platform other than 5" additional wheelbase for the Durango over JGC. (That will change for MY21 when JGC gains a 3rd row option and Durango goes in a different direction and off to "truck land") The drive train options are not as robust as with JGC, but it does have a third row if that matters to you. Drive train is based on RWD as someone mentioned and going "AWD" adds the front side to that. Durango does have higher towing capacity with Factory Tow than Ascent if that is important.

While I have a personal affinity to JGC (Durango is "ok", but not my cup of tea), I'm seriously thinking about moving to the Ascent when the time comes for something new as my needs have changed since retirement and I'm very fond of Subaru. Of course, I'd love to be able to actually delete the third row (and roof rack), but the former will just stay folded down, never to see the light of day and the latter is well, what it is...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts