Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
the only problem is VW got caught.. I don't know if you have been around the auto industry long but numerous car makers have done the same if not worse but did not get discovered. BMW still being investigated so is MB.

I have tested for manufactures with just about every performance car on the market, on tracks to give them data and feed back. Manufactures build to A point but most do not cross the line to get caught.

Plus the people who were involved are being dealt with via the court system.

As for the gas requirements with Audi well that is A personal choice and some of my cars cannot or don't run properly on 89 or 87. so I just choose to run 93 with all my turbo cars.

I dislike GM almost as intensely as I do VW, so I'm with you there. With VW though, it's a different ball game, because rather than covering up a mistake or unintended consequence, VW deliberately manufactured technology for the express purpose of deceiving the US government and the US customers who bought their cars. I feel VW should be banned from doing business in this country. Short of that, I will vote with my dollar and go out of my way to avoid knowingly giving anyone even connected with VW so much as a penny of my money.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the only problem is VW got caught.. I don't know if you have been around the auto industry long but numerous car makers have done the same if not worse but did not get discovered. BMW still being investigated so is MB.

I have tested for manufactures with just about every performance car on the market, on tracks to give them data and feed back. Manufactures build to A point but most do not cross the line to get caught.

Plus the people who were involved are being dealt with via the court system.

As for the gas requirements with Audi well that is A personal choice and some of my cars cannot or don't run properly on 89 or 87. so I just choose to run 93 with all my turbo cars.

Well, when they get caught I'll vote with my dollar in relation to them as well. I've never been a big fan of BMW, or really any German cars for that matter, so that's not very much of a concern for me. When a company is shown to have misbehaved, I react accordingly. Until then, I give a company the benefit of the doubt, just like I would an individual. We're supposed to have a presumption of innocence in the US. In VW's case, the guilt is not potential, it's actual, therefore I practice the policy that works for me.

Not sure what the issue is with y'all. Are you trying to convince me that I'm somehow "wrong", or that VW should, for some reason, be given a pass just cuz? That's like giving Lance Armstrong a pass cuz "everyone does it". I was a huge fan of his too, and he betrayed us all (his fans) with his duplicity. Like VW, he didn't just cheat, he went beyond what "everyone does" and tried to bully and manipulate others into supporting his cheating. The VW thing really bugged me at the time I learned of it, because not only did I used to kinda like VW cars, but I also contemplated at one time moving to Chattanooga to apply at the giant plant VW had announced it was building in that town, as I lived in Knoxville at the time so it would have been doable for me. Now, however, I am strongly opposed to the company. Not saying y'all have to be too, although as I said before I don't understand why folks are so willing to overlook that kind of thing. I'm not completely ignorant of history, but like I said, innocent until proven guilty. Once proven guilty I will treat the offender like they're guilty. Cuz they're guilty.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Let's get back to comparisons and actions relevant to that?

Let's not get too far down the rabbit hole of lambasting or excusing the actions of any car company please. When their actions are relevant, great, but, this thread is a comparison, and not a "bash _____ car manufacturer" thread.

Things are ok now... but it'd be sad to see this thread degrade. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for saying this! I totally agree

Let's not get too far down the rabbit hole of lambasting or excusing the actions of any car company please. When their actions are relevant, great, but, this thread is a comparison, and not a "bash _____ car manufacturer" thread.

Things are ok now... but it'd be sad to see this thread degrade. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
591 Posts
All good points. But really these are two different vehicles. The spouse wanted the Q7 not for status but from a perceived elevated level of quality and engineering. Its quieter, faster, rides better and is very luxurious. I bought the Ascent because it suits my needs and is a quality vehicle for half the price. You will never get an Audi/Range Rover/ Benz owner in a Subaru. Stupid, yup but there will never be a Subaru as nice as a Q7. They are selling to two different buyers. My number one issue with the Q7? Premium gas required!
Before buying the Ascent I was looking at the Q7, GL, Discovery, X5, and Expedition. I ended up with the Ascent because it was a very practical vehicle and a good price point. When I took my car in for a check on the seat I talked to my sales rep and asked him how sales are doing and he said the biggest shock is how many have traded in MBs from the dealership next door.

All of my coworkers have MB, Infiniti, and BMWs and they are impressed with the Ascent. Even my Uncle who seems to only buy BMW and MB was shocked at how comfortable it is when he drove it and wished they made a smaller version as he doesn't need such a big vehicle. He is not impressed with the Forester or Outback.

Agreed, Trey T. I came from a 2000 Xterra. EVERYTHING is better in the Ascent! :thumbsup:
Came from a 2005 Xterra here. Power numbers are similar but having AWD instead of RWD is so nice. Also much better MPG and interior. I went from getting 18MPG on a highway going 65 to getting close to 25MPG which is a huge jump and allows me to make some trips on one tank instead of 2!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased the Ascent Limited and when it delivered I was really impressed at how comparable the fit and finish was to luxury car brands. Recently rode in a new BMW X3 and besides the BMW having a bit less cabin noise, the ride quality and comfort is equal or better. Heck, the $45K X5 didn't even have Apple CarPlay. Of course, a lot of the premium cost for a luxury brand is based on prestige, heritage, recognition etc., but anyone coming from those brands will be pleasantly surprised with the Ascent Limited / Touring.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
VW/Audi is deploying a very interesting technology with using "mild hybrid" system (48v DC). It's "mild" because it does not directly propel the wheel (or sit between an engine and tranny), but rather assist the engine's components to improve efficiency. Particularly, they use a 48v motor to drive the force induction components (i.e. electric turbos) to eliminate turbo lags.

I hope Subaru will implement a similar technology for the Ascent.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think that would be good technology for Subaru to implement also, although I don't think the Ascent lacks for bottom end grunt, nor do I think most modern European turbocharged 4 cylinders do either.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think that would be good technology for Subaru to implement also, although I don't think the Ascent lacks for bottom end grunt, nor do I think most modern European turbocharged 4 cylinders do either.
on paper, no. In practice, there's significant turbo lag. There's no consistent ways, that I know of, to control the turbo lag, and it appears that VW Group might have found the solution by implementing the electric hybrid technology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread and answers a lot of questions I had about the Q7. No one seems to have discussed the tune potential of the 3.0T from Audi vs the FA24. My requirement is a fast SUV that can handle 2, under-10 kids, in the 3rd row, 'on occasion'. If not for the occasional 3rd row requirement, I would certainly drive a fast sedan like a S5 sportback or even a SQ5. I can't be in slow cars anymore, coming from my VF48 FXT 5MT which now needs a new engine thanks to ringland lol. (Likely wont happen to drop 8K on an engine for a 2008 model).
Looking at Cobb data, the AP only seems to give the Ascent mild power increase and I suspect as the next gen STI comes out and likely shares engine that may change drastically. The CVT in the Ascent is the one reason all that power may not be able to make it to the Ascent.
Another vehicle I am considering is the VW Tiguan as the 3rd row is enough for small kids and has supposedly good tune-ability with APR tunes and parts. I could care less about brand, my top requirement is a fast suv for my satisfaction. The KIA Telluride is an amazing looking vehicle but I doubt it is either fast or tuneable, although it has a nice transmission from what I read, same for Tiguan. Thanks Subaru for CVT and for thinking that those that grew up with LGTs and FXTs dont deserve a SUV with a 7/9 speed Transmission.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Q7 would get a lot of attention from my friends, that would be a plus. My friends (Audi, BMW, RRover, Toyota/Lexus, Benz) think Subaru is like a Hyundai, just not as popular as other brands. Of this size vehicle, I would pick the GX460 over the Q7, simply because it's a SUV by definition.
I know this post is almost a year old, but I have to chime in that I have doctor friends that have two Audis in their garage. We have stayed together in the mountains several times and all 7 of us pack into my Ascent to get around town. They have been impressed by the interior of the Ascent and its ability to eat snow. My friends are in the planning stages of building a house in the mountains. They said their next vehicle might just be a Subaru. I think they see the incredible value and that new Audis are straight up expensive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I drove the A7 extensively before going with the f-pace a few months ago, it's definitely a much nicer car than the Ascent, and you can get 4 zone climate control, head up display, that cool dash, and a bunch of other stuff that you can't get on the Ascent.

Relatively speaking, it's expensive, but as far as a true luxury car, the A7 is definitely the value proposition in the $65k plus price range- - if there is such a thing....

In terms of overall value proposition, on paper the Ascent is clearly a better value, but there's much more involved to it than that. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have ante'd up for the A7 or another GLS, (the new GLS is beautiful). But around here, the A7 is the ultimate "I'm married to a doctor and won't drive a minivan," car, along with the ubiquitous blue xc90. I think these are more common than Hondas and Toyotas where I live. So I'm kind of glad I don't have one in that regard. The Ascent is a very nice car, and I like that it's nice enough looking, but anonymous enough that nobody really notices it. I certainly understand why people would buy a top-level Ascent ( or competing model) instead of a lower trim luxury SUV. Plus, the third row in the Ascent is considerably larger than the A7, but not as big as a gls450.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I too liked the Audi when I drove it. Third row was harder for me to flip and access, but not a showstopper. Oddly, my 2000w generator didn't fit so well between first and second rows, despite the available room - and as I tote that thing twice a week, that was a showstopper.

The GLS is an awesome machine, a substantial upgrade from my 450GL. But it uses the same air struts that were on my GL - it was never clear to me whether the part had a systemic reliability issue, or whether it was just my particular area's rock size that constantly got stuck in the rolling fold, but $1000 every few months (and even under warranty, the hassle of a strut deflating) was a showstopper.

In the end, I figured that for the price of 1.5 to 2 Ascents, neither the Audi or Merc was going to feel like a good purchase.

I love my Ascent!

F.S.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did have the front air suspension go on the Merc gls450 at about 60000 miles. Just within three or four houses on either side of me in my neighborhood, my neighbor had a slightly older GLS that was squatting on all fours about a year ago, although I didn't ask her what the issue was. And someone around the corner from me with a gls550 had the front squatting not that long ago, so I think it's a pretty common issue.

I guess another anecdotal sign of how common this is, when I called my advisor to schedule an appointment, without missing a beat he said if it wasn't under warranty, it would be $1,900 to replace the the system, so naturally I commented this must be happening a lot, and he confirmed as much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Deal Breaker I believe ;) Show stopper implies you set aside time to applaud its excellency
Right you are! Most definitely NOT a showstopper. Deal breaker, stumbling block. Fly in the ointment. Line in the sand.

The Ascent, on the other hand, is the Chick's Peas. No, it's... the Waxed Cheese. Err... The Dog's Fleas. Nope.

Got it - it's the BEE'S KNEES 😄

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Cant believe they fuxed up the Controls so badly and all over
2. Seats have always been un-comfy in Subarus
3. Even with Frame doors they haven't been able to address the cabin noise and NO turning up the radio is not an acceptable solution. Sometimes people just want to have a conversation among themselves without excessive noise.
4. 3rd row is still not spacious
5. Style style style > 19 cup holders!!

I might also have to consider the new MB GLB with 4MAtic as its getting good reviews, if its as big as VW Tiguan it may work for me, that is perfect sized.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts