Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Ascent is getting repaired from a minor accident and Enterprise gave me an Audi Q7 3.0T for the past week.

I have to say, as nice as it is I like my Ascent Touring better. I really appreciate the second row captains chairs I have more after having this. I also appreciate the width of the Ascent much more. The Audi is much narrower and feels cramped. The third row is considerably smaller as well as the cargo area not well laid out.

The get up and go on the Audi 3.0T suprisingly is not better than the Ascent 4cyl CVT Turbo.

The Audi is equipped with Android Auto and a non-touch screen display. It is interesting, but I personally prefer the Subaru's touchscreen.

In my opinion, some of the controls on the Audi are a little more confusing and less user friendly.

Interestingly enough, I have to pull the Audi further into my garage to fit, but it definitely has less cargo space.

I also miss the Eye-Sight system and don't find the Audi safety features to be close at all.

* I believe this Audi rental is a premium package 2018 but am not positive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So my Ascent is getting repaired from a minor accident and Enterprise gave me an Audi Q7 3.0T for the past week.

I have to say, as nice as it is I like my Ascent Touring better. I really appreciate the second row captains chairs I have more after having this. I also appreciate the width of the Ascent much more. The Audi is much narrower and feels cramped. The third row is considerably smaller as well as the cargo area not well laid out.

The get up and go on the Audi 3.0T suprisingly is not better than the Ascent 4cyl CVT Turbo.

The Audi is equipped with Android Auto and a non-touch screen display. It is interesting, but I personally prefer the Subaru's touchscreen.

In my opinion, some of the controls on the Audi are a little more confusing and less user friendly.

Interestingly enough, I have to pull the Audi further into my garage to fit, but it definitely has less cargo space.

I also miss the Eye-Sight system and don't find the Audi safety features to be close at all.

* I believe this Audi rental is a premium package 2018 but am not positive.
Well...I actually have both LOL. The Audi is superior in almost every way and its WAY faster (0-60 5.5 sec) But its 70K. So from a value standpoint its the Ascent. I don't expect the same level of luxury and refinement in the Ascent, and yes the Audi infotainment system needless complex. After 6 months of ownership I'm still trying to get the hang of that system! The "Premium" is their basic model. Likely you did not get all the trick upgrades, like eyesight.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well...I actually have both LOL. The Audi is superior in almost every way and its WAY faster (0-60 5.5 sec) But its 70K.
I would drive the Q7 if I had the 1st dibs at the keys.

I drive 15 year old Subaru OBXTs because I couldn't afford a 15 year old A4 Avant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So do I . Totally agree. The Q7 redesign for next year will put it back on top esp new engine choices.

Well...I actually have both LOL. The Audi is superior in almost every way and its WAY faster (0-60 5.5 sec) But its 70K. So from a value standpoint its the Ascent. I don't expect the same level of luxury and refinement in the Ascent, and yes the Audi infotainment system needless complex. After 6 months of ownership I'm still trying to get the hang of that system! The "Premium" is their basic model. Likely you did not get all the trick upgrades, like eyesight.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Q7 would get a lot of attention from my friends, that would be a plus. My friends (Audi, BMW, RRover, Toyota/Lexus, Benz) think Subaru is like a Hyundai, just not as popular as other brands. Of this size vehicle, I would pick the GX460 over the Q7, simply because it's a SUV by definition.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Unfortunately, from my perspective, the biggest knock against Audi is that the VW group owns a piece of them, and I wouldn't give those duplicitous criminals someone else's money. It's a shame, because Audi makes good-looking cars, but between German cars being over-priced in general, and VW being liars and thieves, I'm not very fond of "German engineering". It boggles my mind why folks are still willing to go pay money for anything VW touches when the company outright lied to them and all of us knowingly and willfully.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Q7 would get a lot of attention from my friends, that would be a plus. My friends (Audi, BMW, RRover, Toyota/Lexus, Benz) think Subaru is like a Hyundai, just not as popular as other brands. Of this size vehicle, I would pick the GX460 over the Q7, simply because it's a SUV by definition.
That shows how much your friends know. Perhaps they all can share the cost of ownership especially when out of warranty if they still have them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Having looked at nearly every 3 row SUV before deciding on the Ascent I really liked the Q7 but my biggest issue was my son (13) did not fit in the third row. This was needed so we could take car loads of friends. My other issue was lack of storage space up front. Small glove box and a very small center console really showed how the car was designed for driving first which it does really well but not practical enough for me. I did like the way it drove and the driving position along with decent visibility.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Unfortunately, from my perspective, the biggest knock against Audi is that the VW group owns a piece of them, and I wouldn't give those duplicitous criminals someone else's money. It's a shame, because Audi makes good-looking cars, but between German cars being over-priced in general, and VW being liars and thieves, I'm not very fond of "German engineering". It boggles my mind why folks are still willing to go pay money for anything VW touches when the company outright lied to them and all of us knowingly and willfully.
Spot-on!!!

Many people believe "German engineering" is about the crafted solutions they implemented on the vehicles; yes, sure there's a lot of truths to that, but there's a pronounced psyche that helps underpin that belief. What people don't realized is the social engineering (psychology) is what they're good at to propel their products. It's the exact same tactic, in principle, of the horrors that happened ~70yrs ago. As you suggested the VW diesel, it is the biggest scam in the diesel/emission scams in history, affecting 10mil+ vehicles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All good points. But really these are two different vehicles. The spouse wanted the Q7 not for status but from a perceived elevated level of quality and engineering. Its quieter, faster, rides better and is very luxurious. I bought the Ascent because it suits my needs and is a quality vehicle for half the price. You will never get an Audi/Range Rover/ Benz owner in a Subaru. Stupid, yup but there will never be a Subaru as nice as a Q7. They are selling to two different buyers. My number one issue with the Q7? Premium gas required!

·
Registered
475 Posts
You will never get an Audi/Range Rover/ Benz owner in a Subaru. Stupid, yup but there will never be a Subaru as nice as a Q7. They are selling to two different buyers. My number one issue with the Q7? Premium gas required!
Not quite true. I own a Mercedes SL, Porsche 911, and I had an Audi allroad. I seriously considered a Range Rover and an Audi Q7.

I decided against the RR because it’s not as nice inside as everyone thinks it is. It’s not reliable and eats premium fuel or diesel like there’s no tomorrow. I already have a diesel hog in my Ford F450.

I decided against the Q7 because IMO it’s overpriced for what you get. The 3rd row is non-functional. It’s just too small. It doesn’t look all that great. Service is bloody expensive. In return for that one gets mildly better performance than the Ascent.

If I need to go really fast I have other vehicles for that. I’m not ripping around at speed with my entire family in the vehicle anyway. I needed something with reasonable performance, dead reliable, SAFE, and with reasonable gas mileage on regular fuel.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All good points. But really these are two different vehicles. The spouse wanted the Q7 not for status but from a perceived elevated level of quality and engineering. Its quieter, faster, rides better and is very luxurious. I bought the Ascent because it suits my needs and is a quality vehicle for half the price. You will never get an Audi/Range Rover/ Benz owner in a Subaru. Stupid, yup but there will never be a Subaru as nice as a Q7. They are selling to two different buyers. My number one issue with the Q7? Premium gas required!
The most economical way to boost the power is thru tuning, forcing the use of higher octane gas, which allow luxury cars to compete in the performance criteria. However, the combination of luxury and SUV to save MPG isn't something those buyers are all conscious about, and it's not sensible to me.

I came from a 2000 4runner, making less than 200hp/tq with about 18mpg. Fast foward to now (~20yr later), I got a bigger car (Ascent) w/ a lot more power/tq, better MPG, and a ton of gizmos. For me, getting a luxury brand is primarily a status-thing because I can't figure out yet half the the gizmos loaded on the Ascent .

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not true here in crazy land Bay Area California I have several homes mine included that have Subarus parked next to Mercedes, Teslas, 911 Turbos. Even have a Bentley up the street with a 2012 2.5 Limited Outback parked next to it in the garage.

The Subaru brand doesn’t seem to carry the “Cheap” reputation like Kia and Hyundia does. Those are rare in my area.

The Q7 was very popular here a few yrs back today not so much. There are a couple Range Rovers like two.. But we have dozens of Land Cruisers and Lexus variants. The Range Rovers here are popular with the criminal element and tend to be viewed as the Prick vehicle. LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts
The new VW Atlas when it first came out lots of them were in town. But I noticed recently one of the families that had one now has a Lexus SUV. My wife knew the mom. I asked about it. Lemon law it was a complete basket case they dumped it about 12months into owning it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The next Q7 will need to be a plugin hybrid if it isn’t VW will see a big hit to its already damaged reputation. VW since its 1billion $ loss to the Diesel gate CA court settlement has said it remaking its self with EV being top priority. Plus that 1billion CA fined them goes into a state wide charging network plan.

The Atlas was a quick get some cash flow high profit SUV for VW while VW remakes its self with EV plans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I came from a 2000 4runner, making less than 200hp/tq with about 18mpg. Fast foward to now (~20yr later), I got a bigger car (Ascent) w/ a lot more power/tq, better MPG, and a ton of gizmos. For me, getting a luxury brand is primarily a status-thing because I can't figure out yet half the the gizmos loaded on the Ascent .
Agreed, Trey T. I came from a 2000 Xterra. EVERYTHING is better in the Ascent! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well the problem is VW are not the only outright liars. GM had all the info of their faulty ignitions that caused more 124 deaths. Same with Toyota - more than 30 died because of the acceleration issue. And some of these companies share the parts with others and thus share the fault indirectly.

Thankfully Subaru has a good track record and that's probably one of these reason we all are here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well the problem is VW are not the only outright liars. GM had all the info of their faulty ignitions that caused more 124 deaths. Same with Toyota - more than 30 died because of the acceleration issue. And some of these companies share the parts with others and thus share the fault indirectly.

Thankfully Subaru has a good track record and that's probably one of these reason we all are here.
I dislike GM almost as intensely as I do VW, so I'm with you there. With VW though, it's a different ball game, because rather than covering up a mistake or unintended consequence, VW deliberately manufactured technology for the express purpose of deceiving the US government and the US customers who bought their cars. I feel VW should be banned from doing business in this country. Short of that, I will vote with my dollar and go out of my way to avoid knowingly giving anyone even connected with VW so much as a penny of my money.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts