Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared these two? I know they are considered to be in two different classes, but three are shoppers comparing the Ascent to SUVs in the "luxury" segment. I'm interested to see if anyone has looked at both the MDX and the Ascent.:nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did test drive for both at the same day. My wife and I both like 3rd row space, infotainment system and smooth drive over MDX even though MDX inside feel more luxurious or maybe faster Ascent. I personal don’t like the 9 speed transmission and infotainment in MDX. If I would buy the MDX, I would go for sport hybrid one which is not 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
141 Posts
https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/acura_mdx_2019-vs-subaru_ascent_2019

I actually did test drive a 17 or 18 MDX (don’t remember) during my year long research! The MDX drives like a luxury vehicle smooth and quiet but very nimble in the handling (like driving a car). The problems I had with the MDX was the size the 3rd row was boderline useless. With car seats installed and rear facing somebody tall in one of the front seats is going to sit in the dash. Besides those issues my main deal breaker was the MDX looked more Minivan than SUV to me. If size wasn’t important to me I would have went with Lexus RX or another X5.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone compared these two? I know they are considered to be in two different classes, but three are shoppers comparing the Ascent to SUVs in the "luxury" segment. I'm interested to see if anyone has looked at both the MDX and the Ascent.:nerd:
What did you think when you test drove both of them?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes. I've had MDX's (three) for 15 years now, so I naturally looked at the current MDX. A shAWD MDX Technology (navi, et al) is about 52k. In my mind, it goes against the ideas of my 2003, 2005 and 2007 MDX's. Too much chrome, fake luxury, laggy trans, and too much money. The current model has about the same level of electronics as the Subarus with Tech package 23.
Now my 2007 MDX was an introduction into what is standard or optional on even Fords now: GPS, Bluetooth phone link, voice recognition, XM, great stereo, electronic AWD. The 2003 was touted as a great off road vehicle. But the 2007's super handling AWD and 300 hp really shined when I wanted to lead a pack of BMW's through downhill tight turns on the parkway. It still feels like a big sports sedan. It has always gotten through snow, even when I found out later that the roads were closed in a storm.
But I wanted a vehicle with experience behind the newest advances in safety, like auto emergency braking, LKA, adaptive cruise, and I didn't want to spend $52k.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
https://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/acura_mdx_2019-vs-subaru_ascent_2019

I actually did test drive a 17 or 18 MDX (don’t remember) during my year long research! The MDX drives like a luxury vehicle smooth and quiet but very nimble in the handling (like driving a car). The problems I had with the MDX was the size the 3rd row was boderline useless. With car seats installed and rear facing somebody tall in one of the front seats is going to sit in the dash. Besides those issues my main deal breaker was the MDX looked more Minivan than SUV to me. If size wasn’t important to me I would have went with Lexus RX or another X5.

Did you go from an X5 to the Ascent? If so, how do you feel about the transition?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I cannot comment on performance or other such matters, because I've only briefly touched the Acura MDX, but, the Ascent scores slightly better on the IIHS tests than the Acura MDX. It also scores better than any other 7 or 8 seater in any class though. :tango_face_wink:

I'm not sure why they didn't do passenger side testing on the Acura... maybe they couldn't afford another one?

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/acura/mdx-4-door-suv?print-view

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have test driven most of the 3 row vehicles in this segment and the MDX was pretty much my 2nd choice to the Ascent. The MDX was faster, a smoother drive and a little more luxurious inside but the MDX is pretty small with 3rd row space and comfort. Not to mention if the 3rd row was up there was not enough space at all to store my sons stroller. The infotainment was terrible and the shifter being some weird button didnt sit well with me. In the end I felt that the Ascent wasnt far off in terms of performance, handling but the ascent seemed more practical and better suited for my needs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have test driven most of the 3 row vehicles in this segment and the MDX was pretty much my 2nd choice to the Ascent. The MDX was faster, a smoother drive and a little more luxurious inside but the MDX is pretty small with 3rd row space and comfort. Not to mention if the 3rd row was up there was not enough space at all to store my sons stroller. The infotainment was terrible and the shifter being some weird button didnt sit well with me. In the end I felt that the Ascent wasnt far off in terms of performance, handling but the ascent seemed more practical and better suited for my needs.

Thank you for the feedback! I do feel that the Ascent is a great family car given the size, but also I feel like the interior is very durable. I actually like some of the hard plastic placement of the ascent on the interior. It gives me the sense that we can load up the car for a day at the beach and not do much damage in terms of ripping cloth on the ceilings or the sides, ect. The sun shade on the sunroof needs a serious upgrade though. I have visions of that getting ripped. I wonder how easily it could be replaced if needed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At the time of purchasing our Ascent We had turned in my wifes 3 series lease a few months prior and I was driving aJeep Grand Cherokee! I Had an 08 X5 that I picked around 2012ish and drove for a year (I think this X5 was in flood nothing but electrical problems) My parents really liked it so they ended buying it off me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a 2010 MDX for 8+ years. It has been a great car, trunk space (3rd row of seats down) exactly what we need for long haul trips. The latest MDX doesn’t have nearly as much trunk area, probably by 10% or so, and it much more rounded, not lending itself to putting boxes in. The infotainment system is also inferior to the Ascent, and safety/ACC I think is close, probably the Ascent gets the checkmark here too.

We were prepared to buy another MDX, but after a review and test drives of many cars chose the Ascent. Expected ETA last week of November. Can’t wait!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.