Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ascent: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/subaru/subaru-ascent/

Traverse: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/chevrolet/chevrolet-traverse/

Pilot: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/honda/honda-pilot/

Explorer: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-explorer/

Highlander: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-highlander/

The Traverse is a popular vehicle but the Ascent is catching up in this market segment. I have not yet looked at if the vehicle category is growing. The Traverse sales seems to remain strong. The Pilot seems to have taken a hit as has the Explorer. Highlander is holding steady.

I do not know if manufacturers have raised their incentives to acquire these sales. The overall sales of the Ascent is still smaller than these well known and popular vehicles, but I believe it is safe to say that Subaru has successfully entered this segment with the introduction of the Ascent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When we bought our Ascent a few weeks ago we were also seriously considering a Highlander. They still only had new 2019 models on the lots and they had large numbers of them. The prices we were quoted buy the dealers, even before any haggling, were much lower than what we were finding while researching online. We liked the Ascent better, but could have saved a decent amount of money by buying a similarly spec'd Highlander. They were priced to move.

·
Banned
85 Posts
You cannot beat the cargo space that the Traverse has to offer. With the exception of the Buick Enclave, its sister, the only SUV to offer more cargo space are the Suburban, Expedition or Escalade which are much more expensive. You have the option of the VW Atlas but the reliability/quality is questionable as is the quality of the Ascent. I always found it interesting that no other car manufacturer has developed a larger SUV to compete w the Traverse especially when you look at their numbers sold. It will be interesting to see how Ascent sales will continue hold up with the release of the Telluride, Palisade, redesigned Explorer and in two months the Highlander. The Ascent is quickly sinking lower w ratings w car critics and consumers. The only thing that may save sales if SOA starts to reduce its sale price because people are foolishly paying MSRP or over for the Telluride.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Question: did the traverse get bigger after about the 2012 model year? I remember shopping for one and couldn’t fit our stroller in the trunk with seats up. Went with an Expedition EL instead.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot beat the cargo space that the Traverse has to offer. With the exception of the Buick Enclave, its sister, the only SUV to offer more cargo space are the Suburban, Expedition or Escalade which are much more expensive. You have the option of the VW Atlas but the reliability/quality is questionable as is the quality of the Ascent. I always found it interesting that no other car manufacturer has developed a larger SUV to compete w the Traverse especially when you look at their numbers sold. It will be interesting to see how Ascent sales will continue hold up with the release of the Telluride, Palisade, redesigned Explorer and in two months the Highlander. The Ascent is quickly sinking lower w ratings w car critics and consumers. The only thing that may save sales if SOA starts to reduce its sale price because people are foolishly paying MSRP or over for the Telluride.
We disagree about the quality of the Ascent. I also test drove the Traverse and thought highly of it but chose the Ascent for a number of reasons including value for comparative features. It cost way more in the Traverse to get the same or similar features in the Ascent. I purchased the Limited trim for my Ascent. I also do not think eyesight can be beat at the moment, nor SOA accountability. Cargo space was important to my family, but as you know every vehicle includes some sort of compromise. How each manufacturer carves up and differentiates (from their own models as well as between each manufacturer) this mid size three row SUV segment will be interesting.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CR:

Compare New Models

For this Rating, we averaged a model’s Overall Reliability for the newest three years, provided the vehicle did not change significantly in that time and hasn’t been redesigned for 2017. We include a prediction for a model that is new or has been redesigned, based on its reliability history or the manufacturer’s track record.
CR document

The Traverse had been out for years so the reliability or lack thereof is well documented. Even if the 2019 Ascent is somewhat downgraded from the 94% the closest similar vehicle is far behind. We can therefore take the forum complaints (which do not statistically represent the Ascent) and place them in perspective to its competitors poor reliability.

Similar Cars

Subaru Ascent 94%

Nissan Pathfinder 47%

Dodge Durango 36%

Chevrolet Traverse 17%

Volkswagen Atlas 16%

·
Banned
85 Posts
The CR rating is an anomaly. I know all you Subies that love this car are out here giving cyber high fives over this article as it validates your purchase.. Can you name another car critic, automotive media outlet etc that rates the Ascent number 1? There are none. CR is the only one. The CR article did not factor Telluride or Palisade because they are new releases. Those two vehicles blow the Ascent out of the water with their quality, technology, features, and ride. Wait until '20 Highlander comes out. The Ascent will become out of sight out of mind.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CR rating is an anomaly. I know all you Subies that love this car are out here giving cyber high fives over this article as it validates your purchase.. Can you name another car critic, automotive media outlet etc that rates the Ascent number 1? There are none. CR is the only one. The CR article did not factor Telluride or Palisade because they are new releases. Those two vehicles blow the Ascent out of the water with their quality, technology, features, and ride. Wait until '20 Highlander comes out. The Ascent will become out of sight out of mind.
The CR report very clearly states that their reliability rating is projected which is how they handle all other first year productions as well. Other than that they followed standard protocol for their evaluations.

Motor trend, autoblog, new cars, disagrees with your conclusion of blowing away the Ascent.

I have to laugh at some of the reviews either way. How does a reviewer note that the Ascent fuel economy is so so and not note the same with the Telluride since the Ascent is rated for better fuel economy than the Telluride? There are many other examples of individual reviews that taken at face value should be viewed critically (in both directions). You have to learn to read between the lines.

The bottom line is that not every vehicle despite its features and specs on paper is going to meet the need hierarchy of each and every one of us. We all have different priorities. We also need to figure in our trust level for the manufacturer behind the vehicle. I absolutely have confidence with the Subaru AWD compared to other manufacturer's AWD. I also appreciate Subaru's track record of standing behind the Ascent and their track record of reliability. That being said, to each their own. No matter what vehicle is purchased\, they are no small sum so I hope for everyone's choice they get what they expected and hoped for (more or less).

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The CR article did not factor Telluride or Palisade because they are new releases. Those two vehicles blow the Ascent out of the water with their quality, technology, features, and ride.
The massive safety recall on one of them and growing complaints on the other disagree with your assessment.

Which car did you end up buying?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I will choose to stick with Subaru.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/KIA/TELLURIDE/SUV/AWD#recalls number of impacted units 30,168
also 57 complaints to NHTSA

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/KIA/TELLURIDE/SUV/FWD#recalls number of impacted units 30,168

Palisades 4 NHTSA complaints

2020 Ascent 3 complaints five star safety rating. No recalls.

2019 ascent recalls: driveshaft may disconnect (impacted units 166). Missing spot welds (early production, number of units impacted 293

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
And the difference with the Ascent recalls and the KIA one is that under two dozen customer delivered Ascents were affected out of nearly 100,000. On the other hand, every single Telluride was affected, including 30,000 delivered vehicles.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the difference with the Ascent recalls and the KIA one is that under two dozen customer delivered Ascents were affected out of nearly 100,000. On the other hand, every single Telluride was affected, including 30,000 delivered vehicles.
Robert is correct. I list the number of units impacted above for each recall along with the link for documentation. For the Ascent 166 and 293 but for the Telluride literally over 30,000 were impacted under their recall. Even then sh-t happens and I am certain this recall will be taken care of. This is simply the norm given the diversity of complicated parts and the supplier channels that all manufacturers rely upon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drove a lot of cars before picking the Ascent. I drove the Honda Passport and Pilot first. I could feel every seem in the road through my seat. I drove a Ford Edge and was disappointed with how gutless it felt ( I was driving a 2011 Edge and was very satisfied, so this was a very major disappointment). The first Mazda CX9 had a constant check engine light on and seemed gutless. The next CX9 was just okay. The Explorer seemed bigger than what I wanted. I drove the Telluride and honestly, could not figure out what all the hubbub was about. I drove the new Blazer and it was nice and sporty. I tried to stay within what I thought I'd like to drive on a daily basis, use for some across the US drives and be able to take my 15 year old aussie/heeler in. I thought the Traverse was also bigger than what I wanted. My short list became the Ascent and Blazer. The Ascent was peppier, had a nice smooth ride and wasn't a GM product.( Remember GM took the money in 2010, so I didn't want to pay for a car twice. All models of the Ascent had, for the most part, the same safety features standard. So I am expecting a call to come pick up my Premium before Thanksgiving. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Banned
85 Posts
The massive safety recall on one of them and growing complaints on the other disagree with your assessment.

Which car did you end up buying?
Unfortunately the Ascent but have posted before I wish I had purchased another Traverse. The Telluride and Palisade were not out at the time of purchase. They have been out only a few months and the dealers can't keep them on their lots while almost every auto critic and news outlet sings their praises while many have already forgotten the Ascent even exists.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Unfortunately the Ascent but have posted before I wish I had purchased another Traverse. The Telluride and Palisade were not out at the time of purchase. They have been out only a few months and the dealers can't keep them on their lots while almost every auto critic and news outlet sings their praises while many have already forgotten the Ascent even exists.
They're not even selling as good as the Ascent, even though they sell about the same number of cars overall. So, no, they are not particularly successful. Even with continuous specials and discounts and incentives.

And, no, you misportray the news coverage too. The Ascent is still getting coverage, and it's been mostly great.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drove a lot of cars before picking the Ascent. I drove the Honda Passport and Pilot first. I could feel every seem in the road through my seat. I drove a Ford Edge and was disappointed with how gutless it felt ( I was driving a 2011 Edge and was very satisfied, so this was a very major disappointment). The first Mazda CX9 had a constant check engine light on and seemed gutless. The next CX9 was just okay. The Explorer seemed bigger than what I wanted. I drove the Telluride and honestly, could not figure out what all the hubbub was about. I drove the new Blazer and it was nice and sporty. I tried to stay within what I thought I'd like to drive on a daily basis, use for some across the US drives and be able to take my 15 year old aussie/heeler in. I thought the Traverse was also bigger than what I wanted. My short list became the Ascent and Blazer. The Ascent was peppier, had a nice smooth ride and wasn't a GM product.( Remember GM took the money in 2010, so I didn't want to pay for a car twice. All models of the Ascent had, for the most part, the same safety features standard. So I am expecting a call to come pick up my Premium before Thanksgiving. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"so I didn't want to pay for a car twice " I love it. What color did you order? I went through an auto broker so in one day I test drove many cars of different manufacturers before I chose the Ascent Limited. I love it despite a couple of warranty items needing attention.

·
Banned
85 Posts
They're not even selling as good as the Ascent, even though they sell about the same number of cars overall. So, no, they are not particularly successful. Even with continuous specials and discounts and incentives.

And, no, you misportray the news coverage too. The Ascent is still getting coverage, and it's been mostly great.
Not successful? Take your Subie rose colored glasses off. Kia was only planning on producing 40,000 Tellurides. The average length of days on a dealers lot for a Telluride is 10. The Ascent is 19.9. Kia underestimated the demand for the highest trim level Telluride SX and SX-P. Kia thought consumers would prefer the low end models only to find they want the high end trims. Demand on Kia's SXP was so much they had to stop taking orders on the SX. It was only within the last two months or so did they start taking orders again. The Telluride IS NOT heavily discounted and if you go over to their forum you can read about consumers paying MSRP. over MSRP, going out of state to find a Telluride as well as posts where people waited 12-16 weeks to get their Telluride. Now Hyunudai is almost seeing the same demand and they are finding out that consumers want the high end Palisade just like w the Telluride. Yes the Telluride had one recall for a seat belt issue that involved more cars. Meanwhile go over to Edmunds and even on here the complaints are coming in on the 2020 Ascent. So you can mock the one Kia recall for a seat belt meanwhile SOA has a transmission issue that is not going away not to mention they are well aware of the draining battery issue w the rear hatch and did nothing to address it or fix it in the 2020.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Wow. Believe what you will. But don't be insulting.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Not successful? Take your Subie rose colored glasses off. Kia was only planning on producing 40,000 Tellurides. The average length of days on a dealers lot for a Telluride is 10. The Ascent is 19.9. Kia underestimated the demand for the highest trim level Telluride SX and SX-P. Kia thought consumers would prefer the low end models only to find they want the high end trims. Demand on Kia's SXP was so much they had to stop taking orders on the SX. It was only within the last two months or so did they start taking orders again. The Telluride IS NOT heavily discounted and if you go over to their forum you can read about consumers paying MSRP. over MSRP, going out of state to find a Telluride as well as posts where people waited 12-16 weeks to get their Telluride. Now Hyunudai is almost seeing the same demand and they are finding out that consumers want the high end Palisade just like w the Telluride. Yes the Telluride had one recall for a seat belt issue that involved more cars. Meanwhile go over to Edmunds and even on here the complaints are coming in on the 2020 Ascent. So you can mock the one Kia recall for a seat belt meanwhile SOA has a transmission issue that is not going away not to mention they are well aware of the draining battery issue w the rear hatch and did nothing to address it or fix it in the 2020.
Here is SOA answer to the draining battery from the 2020 manual

To protect the battery from battery drainage, make sure that all doors, including the rear gate, are completely closed when leaving the vehicle.
LOL - what if you leave the hatch open (because you have dogs or are camping) but stay w the vehicle?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The transmission issue involves few units among the earlier production dates. It also appears they are addressing each and every one of them successfully per reports via this forum. The transmission issue did not involve a recall. Adjusting the trim level production does not equate with overall demand. I have read the 13 reviews at Edmunds Ascent complaints and find the negative ones mostly overstated. For example, I too had an air conditioning problem. Big deal. It was fixed in two hours. My vehicle metal panels had perfectly even gaps. I had no hesitation in acceleration and I find that often I am not sure the vehicle is on since it is so quiet. My gas mileage is superb and exceeds the estimated mileage. Pretty harsh words from a dog owner regarding the duration the rear gate can be opened. Gee that impacts loads of owners. I doubt SOA voids any warranty because an owner changes the battery. Yes the battery warranty itself is voided but not the rest of it. One poster rightly complained about the faulty transmission. Reading the forum indicates SOA is taking care of everyone so why WWIII? A small percentage of units have issues that are being taken care of.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts