Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst my Ascent is in the shop the dealer gave me a '19 Forester Premium to drive around. My Ascent is also a Premium trim, but there are so many differences between the two. I haven't driven very many Subaru's so it was a learning experience for me. So here's what I like and dislike compared to the Ascent, disregarding the size differences:

Forester Pros:
  • front cupholder insert (it would be cool if something similar were made to fit the Ascent)
  • cvt felt smoother when accelerating (no hard faux-shifting)
  • cloth seat color
  • trim color
  • LKA corrections felt more subtle (see below)
  • ACC felt like it saw vehicles farther ahead and adjusted speed sooner (see below)
  • sunroof (I didn't get the option in my Ascent)
  • siri built into phone button rather than standalone button
  • middle seat fit carseats a little better (see below)
Forester Cons:
  • engine auto start/stop is way too rough
  • relatively lethargic
  • had to use a key to start it
  • had to use fob to lock/unlock it, ie no door handle touch lock/unlock
  • rubbery shifter and dash material
  • audio sounded very flat (even compared to Ascent without HK or RF)
  • no manual shifting mode
  • AVH and auto start/stop status not persistent after turning car off
  • no EyeSight HUD
  • confusing drive settings: x-mode knob and i still haven't figured out what 'SI drive' is
  • LKA didn't seem to correct a steering correction by straightening the wheel the way the Ascent does
  • ACC would sometimes adjust speed very early and without a HUD it was more difficult to tell what its up to
  • tiny infotainment screen
  • no climate control status display
  • liftgate only operates manually
  • steering wheel position never did feel right. even when it was low enough to block the top of the instruments it still felt too high (is it the same size as the Ascent?)
  • no RAB, cross traffic or blind spot detection
  • middle seat doesn't move forward/backward
So to sum it up, some of the layout differences were of course due to the amount of real estate surface area they had to work with. Other differences felt more like they were there to test different layouts on different platforms as a sort of live beta test on consumers. And still some differences were probably just simply due to cost. I feel a little spoiled even driving a Premium Ascent with its list of standard features and layout. If we could port over a few of those Pro's from the forested this Ascent would be perfect

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own an Ascent primarily due to the engine offering in the 2019 Forester. That said, regarding the sunroof/moonroof, the Forester's moonroof is too large to use at speeds above 25mph on a regular basis. The Ascent is significantly better for regular use, due to the smaller panel size, as well as the fact that it goes up and out, rather than down and inside.

Having the Touring trim level on our Ascent, the rest of the feature content between the two makes little difference to me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I turned my Ascent premium after a year and bought a Forester touring. IMO the Forester is of higher quality than my Ascent was.
Forester pluses.
  • Shifts smoother and has a quiet CVT. The Ascent cvt moaned
  • Has driver focus safety system
  • a little better visibility.
  • much better fuel MPG
  • perfect footprint - Roomy but easy to park
  • dash is all soft touch. Upper part of the Ascent is cheap plastic.
  • The Forester IMO has a better exterior look.
  • Rde is smoother
  • Fit and finish is better
Ascent pluses

• I did like the extra power, although the Forester does a good job getting up to speed
  • ceiling HVAC vents were nice
  • I liked the lite steering feel.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...Forester pluses.
-Rde is smoother...
Really? That’s the 2nd time I’ve heard that but the wife and I both said the forester felt bumpier. Could have something to do with the trim level? Just guessing

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a Touring in the Forester and my Ascent was a Premium. My wife agrees the Forester is smoother and handles the pot holes better. I did notice my neighbor has a base model and I rode in it about 6 months ago and it did have a slightly more bumpy ride compared to my Ascent so it could be trim levels. My Forester was built in April of 19 so it is fresh. I read the Guma factory stepped up it's QC.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Touring in the Forester and my Ascent was a Premium. My wife agrees the Forester is smoother and handles the pot holes better. I did notice my neighbor has a base model and I rode in it about 6 months ago and it did have a slightly more bumpy ride compared to my Ascent so it could be trim levels. My Forester was built in April of 19 so it is fresh. I read the Guma factory stepped up it's QC.
If "Premium" is a similar trim for both the Forester and the Ascent, the Ascent wins hands down. Drove them both with comfort in mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We own a Ascent Touring and a Forester Touring. My wife is short and prefers the Forester over the Ascent. The both of us agree the Ascent has a much smoother ride and is much quieter over the Forester. When we are doing errands together we drive the Forester in town and drive the Ascent on highway trips. I am tall wasted and do not find the Forester comfortable. I have to lower my head to view the upper dash display. (Cannot see the top line). The Forester is much more economical and easier to park. My wife likes how the front passenger seat raises... my biggest complaint with the Ascent... You cannot raise the front passenger seat. We absolutely like that both of our cars similar with safety and technology. Very happy campers.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My Ascent must of had suspension issues because my 19 Forester rides much better and has a better build quality plus it doesn't surge and buck like the Ascent use to. I'm not bashing the Ascent it was fun to drive with the turbo but it did not come off as polished as my Forester

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Ascent must of had suspension issues because my 19 Forester rides much better and has a better build quality plus it doesn't surge and buck like the Ascent use to. I'm not bashing the Ascent it was fun to drive with the turbo but it did not come off as polished as my Forester
Honestly...I REALLY wanted the Forester, but was forced to switch to the Ascent because of the difference in comfort and ride. Plus it's a lot easier to get into for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 19 Ascent base trim, and 09 forester with 4AT, no comparison about ride and smooth :), but way more like the feeling of steering wheel in Forester. Ascent is just not feeling that acurate, and too much gap in middle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts