Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Keep in mind that there's potentially a few causes for a dead battery. If you can, I'd see if you can get things tested. As for the liftgate, you can test that yourself, by opening it and leaving it for over 20 minutes. The lights in the car should turn off. You can also use a DC clamping meter to confirm power draw has stopped at the 20 minute mark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Woke up to a dead battery this morning in our 2019...was able to get it jump started quickly by using the mechanical key, crawling all the way into the back, pulling the jump battery out from under the cargo area floor, and getting it hooked up.

Although we didn't have an open liftgate or any lights on, last night I did use my phone to unlock the car, open the liftgate, close the liftgate, and then locked the car with my phone. Key fob was not present for any of this. Makes me wonder if there is a potential bug that left the liftgate controller active in that scenario. No data to back that up and not super interested in testing it after I get the battery recharged today :).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you had the TSB done to replace the liftgate module, it does a bit more than just monitor the liftgate. It will resolve the draw on the system when left open. Open it and monitor the lights in car for 20 minutes if they don't shut off. Take it to the dealer and get TSB done. Make sure they use the latest part number. Subaru TSB 07-155-19R — 2019 Ascent | CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
What happened to yours? The timeout works on the 2021 Ascent. But, the timeout resets every time you open any door, or re-open the liftgate. What were your particular symptoms?
Just called Subaru of Glendale CA and they said they never heard this kind of issue before. Liar. They said if I leave any door open it will drain battery so just keep it closed. Subaru of Glendale!

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Just called Subaru of Glendale CA and they said they never heard this kind of issue before. Liar. They said if I leave any door open it will drain battery so just keep it closed. Subaru of Glendale!
On a 2021? No. As I said, the timeout issue (lack thereof) was an issue on 2019 and early 2020 Ascents. It shouldn't be on a 2021. BUT, on all MY's with working liftgate controller timeouts, opening any door will restart the 20 minute timeout. You can literally keep the 4 amp draw going forever by going in and out of the car. That's very real.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a 2021? No. As I said, the timeout issue (lack thereof) was an issue on 2019 and early 2020 Ascents. It shouldn't be on a 2021. BUT, on all MY's with working liftgate controller timeouts, opening any door will restart the 20 minute timeout. You can literally keep the 4 amp draw going forever by going in and out of the car. That's very real.
No Subaru of Glendale’s said never heard of this issue with any Ascent not only 2021. I’ve learned about 20min time limit on this forum but I do t think I left the door/liftgate that long. Anyway, I go camping all the time and 8 previous car I owned was all Subaru and never had this kind of issue until now…

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
That's sad to hear that they didn't know about it. Regardless, that shouldn't be your problem (you have a 2021 that shouldn't have a timeout issue). I go camping a lot. I just spent two weeks in the desert with my liftgate open a lot. Leaving it open is fine. In 20 minutes it stops drawing power. Opening and closing it repeatedly draws a bunch of power, because (a) each time you open it takes power, and (b) each time you open it, it keeps drawing power for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's sad to hear that they didn't know about it. Regardless, that shouldn't be your problem (you have a 2021 that shouldn't have a timeout issue). I go camping a lot. I just spent two weeks in the desert with my liftgate open a lot. Leaving it open is fine. In 20 minutes it stops drawing power. Opening and closing it repeatedly draws a bunch of power, because (a) each time you open it takes power, and (b) each time you open it, it keeps drawing power for 20 minutes.
Thanks Robert,
I will have TSB sensor checked tomorrow and probably buy a better battery and carry a jump starter…

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) doesn't apply to your car (it applies to 2019 and some 2020 Ascents). So, I'd just try not to go in and out of the car when camping... or leave the door(s) open that you need open (eg: liftgate). I simply open my liftgate and leave it.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts